LSL Certification Wiki

chibiusa Ling

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1909 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I found this on the wiki earlier. Quite an interesting read though I'm not quite sure that LSL certification itself would benefit anyone beyond bragging rights. Maybe if certification became a way to check if the coder you are employing actually has the skills they claim perhaps. Though it would be interesting to see the essence of this used to create a lesson plan for beginner scripters that covers all aspects that they would need to learn to start making a wide variety of products in SL. Curious to hear your thoughts on this page, figured it might make an interesting discussion. What do you guys think....certification in LSL?

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/SL_Certification

13 minutes ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:

Like many things, it hasn't been updated since... May 2011. Related pages are also unfinished, such as this. The mailing list seems to be long gone as well.

Yeah I noticed it wasn't finished and hadn't been touched in some time. But then there are pages such as this http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/SL_Cert_-_Intermediate_Scripting that would actually make a pretty good guide for a learner to follow.

Edited by chibiusa Ling

3 minutes ago, chibiusa Ling said:

Yeah I noticed it wasn't finished and hadn't been touched in some time. But then there are pages such as this http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/SL_Cert_-_Intermediate_Scripting that would actually make a pretty good guide for a learner to follow.

And the issue which LL realized was that the whole idea could not show any proof that person doing it actually knew anything.

Seems to me that if effort were to be invested in anything, it would best be directed to updating scripting-related areas of the wiki. (Other areas need attention, too, but this thread is focused on LSL.)

If it's really impossible to open up the wiki for broader contributions, it's doomed to fall ever further out of date. When they restricted access, it never crossed my mind that they intended it to stay restricted and yet still leave it online for years. Has this approach worked for any wiki, ever?

(Admittedly I could never fathom Strife's templates, so I was never much of a contributor to LSL wiki articles anyway.)

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/22/2019 at 9:01 PM, chibiusa Ling said:

I found this on the wiki earlier. Quite an interesting read though I'm not quite sure that LSL certification itself would benefit anyone beyond bragging rights. Maybe if certification became a way to check if the coder you are employing actually has the skills they claim perhaps. Though it would be interesting to see the essence of this used to create a lesson plan for beginner scripters that covers all aspects that they would need to learn to start making a wide variety of products in SL. Curious to hear your thoughts on this page, figured it might make an interesting discussion. What do you guys think....certification in LSL?

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/SL_Certification

Wonderful. Anything that can strengthen the elite, raise the bar and imply other people who aren't at that level make trash... is always good. (sarcasm)

One is 'qualified' or 'certified' in LSL if their script solves a problem and operates. If you want people to be more efficient, then teach them.

All this will do is "Scripted Hover Chair | LSL Certified" Give me a break.

Edited by entity0x
  • Haha 1

Thanks Zero ;) Due to your sterling denunciations I can add 'yep make my own scripts' alongside the 'yep these are my meshes, dreadful as they are' to my humble offerings.  Could you do one on textures next? Would love to add that too begging yer honours presence sort of thing.

10 hours ago, entity0x said:

7 hours ago, animats said:

I think the concept is interesting to be honest. As I stated in my original post I think it would mostly result in bragging rights BUT I guess if done correctly with decent teachers and a completed lesson structure (see the wiki for this) it would at least give people a decent foundation of scripting knowledge on which to build. I agree with you animats about it being embarrassing, but only in the modern day. Back in 2008-2010 I can see why this would have been more appealing. Given that at the time there were universities and other education institutes in world offering all kinds of courses and lectures, a much much much larger population than there is now and the fact that there were other forms of development "certification" back then being offered out such as prim building certifications. Certification sort of fit theme back then and isn't the weirdest idea I have seen in SL over the years. At the very least I do think that the setup for this certification could help build an interesting set of lessons for learners, perhaps converted in to a youtube tutorial series or something. One thing I have noticed in recent years is that a lot of newbie scripters seem to be groping around in the dark a lot and are not sure what information they have access to. They seem to struggle with the wiki and no one ever seems to recommend in world learning areas such as the College of Scripting. Perhaps taking this information and presenting it as a youtube series might actually help beginners in developing their skills

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1909 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.