Which one you would you choose?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2116 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have some building and texturing knowledge. And know I have a dilemma I could build mediocre buildings or building parts. Like stairs and walls and sell them as full perm building sets. 

Edited by Derekmate

10 minutes ago, sirhc DeSantis said:

Do both. Make bits and then make builds from them or vice versa. Sell complete builds using your bits and kits of bits...

I was thinking on that too but I'm not that good with textures and if I do kits i just need to unwrap the UV mask.

Edited by Derekmate

Honestly, given the huge market of buildings (and I am not dismissing them in the least here, I promise you that, it takes talent I haven't got myself, in fact I bought a kit so I could make buildings for my own use, lol) I would go for bits and pieces. Yes, there are creators that make these things, but they are far outnumbered by those that make buildings. Though this is just my opinion as someone that buys others' creations quite frequently because I haven't the same capabilities as I'd like to have, and so many others do :)

If, in the future, your skills improve, as most of ours do, you can always venture out into the building arena too, especially if you choose to cater to a niche in that market-which is full perm buildings (ie untextured and unfurnished). 

If you can do bits and pieces, and do them well, you will do well. I can't necessarily say the same about actual fully built buildings, mostly because they often include a LOT more work, a LOT more customer service, and there is a really big market for them already. I know some building creators that sort of get lost in the mix because of these very things, who may struggle at times, because of these very things. Bits and pieces are always-from those I know who make them which I have spoken to about it anyway-in demand. Those folks may be wrong, but I don't suspect they are, it is, after all, their market, and they know it pretty well. 

• Like 1

agree with @Tari Landar

@Derekmate try not to get caught in between at the outset. Can easily end up on a road to everywhere leading to nowhere. Pick one road or the other. When you get to the end of that road, then like Tari says you can always travel the other road

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

But if building components of mesh you're making things that must be "built to," right?   I mean a nice mesh door unit is something you must shrink your building's opening down to meet,  and not the other way around of stretching the mesh unit out to meet the existing opening.  This can lead to some creative junctures that must be hatched, but it's surely doable but maybe not always.

For instance, if you want to put a 3rd party mesh window unit into a wall of a mesh prefab house, you can set the window against the house but not into that wall so that it functions as a window.  It won't be a see-thru window or show on both sides as a full product window (unless you build it that way), but still it can work as a faux window seen on one side but not the other and never seen thru. I've done that when I just had to.

It seems to me a mesh building component is a dream for setting into standard prim construction because of the easy of editing prim shapes, but becomes limited and even problematic in prefab mesh homes.  Unless you want to also consider building your own mesh home blanks that your kit products can fit to.  Hmm.. now it turns into a whole different product and different market, and well.... you make of that what you can.

Rather than hypothesize, I suggest doing an extensive walk through Marketplace to look for prefab building components like doors, windows, stairs, .... There's a whole category for Building Components there.  Depending on whether you have mod perms to a mesh house and depending on whether things like the stairs are actually separable components, you should be able to replace one component with another.  And, of course, if you are building a mesh house from scratch you may want to shop for the doors and stairs and whatever as add-ons rather than modeling your own.  The market for components is substantial.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2116 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.