So, this is new

Paul Hexem

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2148 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Or is it? I've never experienced it before.

Create an attachment, write a script in said attachment. Go about your day.

Sim where you created said attachment is rolled back while you're offline.

Has anyone else experienced this?

20 hours ago, Gadget Portal said:

Or is it? I've never experienced it before.

Create an attachment, write a script in said attachment. Go about your day.

Sim where you created said attachment is rolled back while you're offline.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Gone from the object contents or your inventory? I've lost scripts before when I created them directly in the object without having copies of them in my inventory, so now I always drag such scripts across into folders in my inventory.

34 minutes ago, Profaitchikenz Haiku said:

Gone from the object contents or your inventory? I've lost scripts before when I created them directly in the object without having copies of them in my inventory, so now I always drag such scripts across into folders in my inventory.

The whole attachment vanished from my inventory, I only had the original object in my object folder.

3 hours ago, Gadget Portal said:

The whole attachment vanished from my inventory, I only had the original object in my object folder.

This is just off the top of my head, based on personal experience, not a definitive diagnosis, but...

It is or should be a well known fact, that SL sim servers do NOT instantly update the asset servers the moment you edit something attached to your avatar.

All to often, I've had crashes, and found that something I'd edited a min or two before the crash has reverted to its former status when I relog...

So, you take a copy of the f/p template, add it to your avi, drag a script into it, log out, the logout glitches and the sim server does NOT update the asset servers with the existence and scripted status of the attachment, you relog and poof it's gone and never was...

Theres an item I bought, a plugin script for some attachments I sometimes wear... The installation instructions might help you...

"Install the script in the attachment, wait 30 seconds, remove the attachment, wait another 30 seconds, reattach the attachment..."

Making a TP or sim crossing can help too, sim servers are set up to AUTOMATICALLY do a forced asset server update when you make a planned exit from the sim by TP or sim crossing.

Your problem doesn't sound like a new problem, just a quirkily extreme example of an old one.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, CoffeeDujour said:

This is normal behavior. Changes to attachments are only saved on detach. Wandering around SL scripting on your avatar is not a good idea, if possible, always work inside rezzed prims.

I must admit that I think that is wrong, the attachment state should surely be saved on logout?  What looks to have happened here is a glitching of the communication between the asset server and the simulator server cluster...or at least that is what I would assume.  Whatever this occurrence is it is hopefully NOT "normal behaviour".  While I heartily agree that scripting inside attachments while worn is not to be recommended, the disappearance of the attachment itself is anomalous.

I suppose this could occur if the logout included a "silent crash" while this might result in the local disappearance of the item from the local inventory, an inventory-cache clearance should reveal it to be still stored on the asset-server.

Edited by Ayesha Askham
it just occurred to me that.....

Just now, Ayesha Askham said:

I must admit that I think that is wrong, the attachment state should surely be saved on logout?  What looks to have happened here is a glitching of the communication between the asset server and the simulator server cluster...or at least that is what I would assume.  Whatever this occurrence is it is hopefully NOT "normal behaviour".  While I heartily agree that scripting inside attachments while worn is not to be recommended, the disappearance of the attachment itself is anomalous

That's the part that's tripping me up. 

It was there before I attached it, before put the script in, after I teleported around, and after I detached it.

Then it was gone when I logged back in.

On 8.6.2018 at 12:54 PM, Klytyna said:

It is or should be a well known fact, that SL sim servers do NOT instantly update the asset servers the moment you edit something attached to your avatar.

I wonder if it's gotten wrose recently though. Here's something that happened to me yesterday:

I made a new outfit, copying the mesh body from an existing outfit, changed the applier clothing and saved. Everything seemed fine. Then I used that outfit for a few minutes, switched to another outfit for a few minutes, then logged off. When I logged back in and put on the new outfit, the clothes textures had reverted to the previous ones.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2148 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.