three strikes and your out

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2205 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Ok I think we have gone all over the place, I am not talking when the horse has bolted, the scripts that are made  have one sole purpose and that's to cause mayhem and grief what I am saying is that anyone caught writing such scripts or using them which can very easy to identify should be warned and if they grief again they are banned,      

Some mentioned the tools to find, block ban? that's all well and good but that's after the damage has been done, and what if that griefer has a second alt then he comes back again and does the same thing,   the way to minimise this is to ban the scripting of these malicious codes. Am no expert how but am sure LLs can do something.

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, greek Wingtips said:

Am no expert

A script is a a text file.

If I write a script that will get me banned, it is easier to recreate the script via copy and paste from a text file on my PC than it is to re-upload an image.

Script is free.  If goes with my new free account. It is quite literally the easiest thing to recreate for a throw away griefer account.  Trivially easy.  In fact I would say easier than looking up the target sim in search.

If you can quote someone on the forum you have all the leet hacking skillz needed to re-create and use a script.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, greek Wingtips said:

Ok I think we have gone all over the place, I am not talking when the horse has bolted, the scripts that are made  have one sole purpose and that's to cause mayhem and grief what I am saying is that anyone caught writing such scripts or using them which can very easy to identify should be warned and if they grief again they are banned,      

Griefers do get banned, but as I have pointed out .. a bans effectiveness is not quite as literal as you might hope and can't be made to work that way.

1 minute ago, greek Wingtips said:

Some mentioned the tools to find, block ban? that's all well and good but that's after the damage has been done, and what if that griefer has a second alt then he comes back again and does the same thing,   the way to minimise this is to ban the scripting of these malicious codes. Am no expert how but am sure LLs can do something.

I'm a software engineer by trade, My expert opinion is no. They can't.

Every single scripting function has a legitimate reason to exist.

For example, I write a one line script that outputs some text in local chat, just text. If the script says something useful or amusing then it's fine. If it spews hate speech then it's not. There is no way for a compiler to tell the difference, no way for the script engine to tell the difference. It is impossible without a human observing the output of the script, and even then ... you can only hope the human agrees with your interpretation. 

Script commands are like lego. You can't ban one brick just because someone used it as part of something evil.

Likewise there is no way to programmatically define what an evil script looks like; as with a bucket of lego, there are an infinite number of ways to assemble the bricks into something evil.

• Like 3

I agree one may not stop a scriptwriter from writing a malicious script but if LL warned all that if a script was found in SL to be a malicious in nature for the sole intense purpose of causing major grief then the creator should be given a warning and if continued be banned, whats wrong with that Idea

Edited by greek Wingtips

5 hours ago, greek Wingtips said:

I agree one may not stop a scriptwriter from writing a malicious script but if LL warned all that if a script was found in SL to be a malicious in nature for the sole intense purpose of causing major grief then the creator should be given a warning and if continued be banned, whats wrong with that Idea

Again you have no idea what you are talking about. Who do you think is the creator of a fullperm script that has completely been wiped and replaced?

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Fionalein said:

Again you have no idea what you are talking about. Who do you think is the creator of a fullperm script that has completely been wiped and replaced?

I notice we have quite a few people whom misunderstand how SL works and think along the same lines as greek does.  11 years here and people still do not do the research and still rely on word of mouth.  which 9 times out of 10 is fully wrong.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, greek Wingtips said:

There is nothing wrong with the idea, in theory. When put into practice however, it begins to lack logic and functionality...making it basically useless. Any and ALL scripts have the possibility to be used maliciously, it truly is trivial as all get out to make and/or alter a script-or even have someone do it for you. It would be impractical, dare I say impossible, for LL to monitor each and every script used in sl, simultaneously, to ensure they aren't used for griefing. Now, how practical, possible even, does that sound? Because that is precisely what LL would have to do to make that idea work both in theory and practice..

Though I do have to say people have been banned for griefing....loads of them come back, but people have been banned for it. Keeping them away permanently is as easy as LL monitoring each and every script in sl, though. 

THAT is precisely why people say to utilize the tools we have at our disposal-not because people are brushing you, or your ideas off. Yes, sometimes their effectiveness is only seen after the damage is done, when you choose not to use some of them proactively, but they are effective for most folks. That part sucks...the taking the damage part, of course, and I'm sure a lot folks can commiserate with that feeling, that dreaded..ugh make the griefers just go away forever feeling. But the solutions you want aren't possible, so you have to go with the best solutions available that ARE possible. 

It's not a personal slight against you, or LL simply choosing money over residents (well, not on this issue..I won't argue about other issues wherein that very well may be the case, lol), it's a matter of what is possible, what is practical, and what we-as residents-have done for ourselves as well. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Lucia Nightfire said:

With rez based grief vectors, BUG-11653 may help to a degree since most griefers rely on distributed content, but it won't help much with the ones that "roll their own", heh.

I just read through this... REALLY?

Creator A created a minigun - we will forbid rezzing the cuddle pillows created by Creator A from now on because someone could pull out the minigun someone else had in the past instead...

Three of the four named benefits will only anger innocent people again... great proposition you have there.

PS: great abduction of a "we only inteded it to do good" thread to promote your "we only inteded it to do good"  Jira  

And updating the banlist to 500 to forbid adult and combat item creators? Get a grip on reality ... alone the creators of handgun projectiles would fill your puny list.

Edited by Fionalein
  • Like 3

This is every clever security idea ever ... 

jNKLbDH.jpg

... and if the broad nature of the "fix" catches an innocent random person, well clearly it's because that completely unconnected rando is in fact the original transgressor, back, from the dead, with super powers and a magic ring.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2205 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.