MP Categories are Strange, Annoying and Just Missing

Prokofy Neva

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2178 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Give all the obsessive attention that the Lindens give to getting an item into the "right" category, and their obsession with flagging and REMOVING items that are NOT in the right category, you would think they're fix, refine, and adjust the categories.

What always AMAZES me is that there is no category called "Role-Play" or "Fantasy" where a lot of gatcha items and of course the creations that those same creators make that are not gatchas.

The only thing I ever see is "staves, wands, staffs" -- ok, that's nice but what about

- Elf, Elven, Witch, Wiccan, Coven, Shaman, Fairy, Fae -- you know, things like that.

Then there's that hilarious category called "window treatment". Huh? Whoever uses that term? Couldn't you put in CURTAINS and SHADES guys???

No cushions are in there, so a cushion with sit animations has to be put in "chair". Same with "ottomans".

Putting in categories, struggling to find them and figure them out is a huge drag on sales. It makes you not want to bother to put anything up for sale, whether you made it or are selling used gatchas, because you know that a) the ideal thing you want to put it under, like "shaman" or "elf" or whatever isn't there at all and b) you may be punished for putting it in the wrong category.

I think punishment (removal) should only occur for people who persist in re-uploading after a warning IF the warning is clear. Much of the time there is no explanation. I was baffled why an ashtray with no cigarette in it was twice removed, when it was a hotel souvenir. A Linden wrote me that smoking is an activity that has to be put under "adult" like alcohol and sex beds. OK, now I know.

PS "Bench" -- a very, very common item. No category with that name. So you have to risk "chair" or "sofa" or "multi-use chair".

Edited by Prokofy Neva
  • Haha 1

• Moderators

Greetings!

I am sorry to hear that you missed the last round of Category Updates that were done about 2 years ago.  

It is EXTREMELY important that items are placed in the correct sub-categories so that the Marketplace Team can monitor the load on the categories. 

When they see that categories are getting a lot of items, they begin the process of determining if additional categories and sub-categories should be added to the Marketplace.

This process has been done at least 2 times in the past, and I am sure it will be done again in the future. 

If you would like to submit a request for specific new categories, please submit a Bug Report to report that those desired categories are missing from the Marketplace. 

This will ensure that the team knows that Merchants/Buyers would like to see an update.  The more updates that are requested, the greater the chance that the team will being the process for new categories. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

My problem is that somtimes neither category fits exactley, and then you look where the others put their items and realize it is three totally different corners of MP... and then all you are left with is listening to your guts :/

Edited by Fionalein

• Moderators
21 minutes ago, Fionalein said:

My problem is that somtimes neither cathegory fits exactley, and then you look where the others put their items and realize it is three totally different corners of MP... and then all you are left with is listening to your guts :/

Unfortunately, that happens.  

If you are not 100% sure, then you can use a category 1 spot higher up.  So if there isn't an exact category for say, the specific women's outfit you are selling, then the main Women's Outfits is acceptable.  

• Thanks 1

I speak from costomers point of view, not as merchant - and I always wonder about fantasy components and its listing, it took me while to find all the categories.

Components worn on head - hats, hair, mask are under Avatars Accessories. But Horns are under Components / Cosmetics?

Components worn on body are also separate - Wings are under Avatars Accessories, but tails, hooves and more are under Components / Cosmetics. 

Would be much easier to find (or for merchants to list) all that fantasy "body pieces" in one category. I'm sure there must be also sets, for the instance "demon set" - wings, tail + horns. No idea where I would put the set as merchant in the current situation. 

Would be nice to find it all under  Accessories OR  Components listed in separate subcategories + sets in the main category above.

• Like 1

• Moderators
46 minutes ago, loverdag said:

I speak from costomers point of view, not as merchant - and I always wonder about fantasy components and its listing, it took me while to find all the categories.

Components worn on head - hats, hair, mask are under Avatars Accessories. But Horns are under Components / Cosmetics?

Components worn on body are also separate - Wings are under Avatars Accessories, but tails, hooves and more are under Components / Cosmetics. 

Would be much easier to find (or for merchants to list) all that fantasy "body pieces" in one category. I'm sure there must be also sets, for the instance "demon set" - wings, tail + horns. No idea where I would put the set as merchant in the current situation. 

Would be nice to find it all under  Accessories OR  Components listed in separate subcategories + sets in the main category above.

Greetings!

The original categories were set up before Linden Lab acquired the Marketplace.  

Linden Lab added new categories, with in some cases a new Hierarchy, like the Make-Up sub-categories, but the original categories that existed were not moved as they were going to part of a future phase. 

As you can see, that future phase didn't happen, and only the new categories were added. 

So yes, there are some sub-categories that should be moved, and new categories that need to be added, and others re-named.  

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Dakota Linden said:

Greetings!

The original categories were set up before Linden Lab acquired the Marketplace.  

Linden Lab added new categories, with in some cases a new Hierarchy, like the Make-Up sub-categories, but the original categories that existed were not moved as they were going to part of a future phase. 

As you can see, that future phase didn't happen, and only the new categories were added. 

So yes, there are some sub-categories that should be moved, and new categories that need to be added, and others re-named.  

Thank you for the explanation, now makes sense why the categories are like that. So lets hope it won't stay on half way to "new hierarchy system" forever. To finish it would really make MP experience easier for both sides, merchants and customers as well. 

• Moderators

Greetings!

Gatcha items are Used Items, in that they were not created by the Seller and the seller is Reselling the No Copy item.  However, placing Gatcha items into the Used Items category is not mandatory. 

Gatcha items may be placed into the most appropriate category for the item itself.  If the Gatcha item is a skirt, then the Women's Skirts sub-category or the Used Items category may be used for the item. 

The item should not be placed into another category or sub-category however, as the item will be subject to being unlisted for being in a wrong category as outlined in the Marketplace Listing Guidelines. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, Dakota Linden said:

Greetings!

Gatcha items are Used Items, in that they were not created by the Seller and the seller is Reselling the No Copy item.  However, placing Gatcha items into the Used Items category is not mandatory. 

Gatcha items may be placed into the most appropriate category for the item itself.  If the Gatcha item is a skirt, then the Women's Skirts sub-category or the Used Items category may be used for the item. 

The item should not be placed into another category or sub-category however, as the item will be subject to being unlisted for being in a wrong category as outlined in the Marketplace Listing Guidelines. 

Any chance of getting a gatcha category? Along with removing DEMOs from search and merchant names when not searching under the merchant tab? 

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Drake1 Nightfire said:

Any chance of getting a gatcha category? Along with removing DEMOs from search and merchant names when not searching under the merchant tab? 

Hi Drake!

Please make sure that there are Jira Tickets for the requests. While the Marketplace Team does monitor these forums, comments or posts on the forums are not considered a request.

Formal/Official requests should be made through the Jira Issue Tracker

• Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2178 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.