Map legends for upcoming / ongoing events to further increase mainland value proposition?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2180 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I think it would be useful for everyone and mainland land owners if there are map legends (icons) for upcoming / ongoing events that are posted on the events page. So when someone opens the world map, they can enable events legends and see which place has an upcoming / ongoing event. 

I'd say that would make more people use and utilize the events page, and boost the appeal of mainland even more too :) 

What do you guys think?

• Like 1

Good idea! The main world map should have more info. Too often the map is just the name of the sim and a top down view of the sim that looks like a bunch of pixels. It doesn't really help when you are looking for things to do but don't have anything in mind. More functionality like google maps please.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Bree Giffen said:

Too often the map is just the name of the sim and a top down view of the sim that looks like a bunch of pixels.

It's not even that. The map generating software has no mesh support so meshes are represented by monochrome patches, often obscuring what is actually there.

Here's the map of Coniston:

map-1-1028-1008-objects.jpg.f543d594ce7899d339ce4ae1eba8f8d9.jpg

and here's how it actually looks from above:

5af113ae29c8b_Skjermbilde(1171).png.e4261a4f0e708a87de8e995003b54372.png

This is not an extreme example - there are far worse ones. It's just where my avatar happened to be when I logged on to take the picture.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ChinRey said:

This is not an extreme example -

The SLattelite Cam doesn't understand sculpts and mesh...

It tends to render them as 6 sided blobs in an "average" colour. this is why "offsim object" sim surrounds often render the SLattelite map for a region as a square mud coloured blank.

9 hours ago, Klytyna said:

It tends to render them as 6 sided blobs in an "average" colour.

Maybe somebody would like a more detailed explanation. Those who don't shold feel free to skip this post.

All objects are rendered as monochrome on the map, the color is based on the texture of the face facing upwards. I'm not sure is it's the average color across that texture or the color of one specific pixel.

Prims keep their shape on the map, that is, the shape they have at the lowest LoD and seen from straight above.

As far as the SL software is concerned, a sculpt is a deformed prim. It is first rendered as it basic prim shape (I think which one depends on the stitching - not sure) and then the vertices are moved and reorganized according to a NURBS curve that is based on the sculpt map. I think the sculpt is represented by that basic prim shape but I'm not absolutely sure about that.

A mesh also starts a basic prim shape and it is definitely represented by that shape on the map. Which prim shape depends on the number of faces:

• One face: Sphere
  • Two face: Semisphere
  • Three faces: Cylinder
  • Four faces: Hollow cylinder
  • Five faces: .... ummmm.... errr... I think that is a pathcut cube but it might be a prism
  • Six faces: Cube
  • Seven faces: Pathcut cube
  • Eight faces: Pathcut hollow cube

For some weird reason those basic prim shapes don't always resemble the actual mesh and the face that would be pointing upwards on the basic prim shape isn't always the one that is actually most visible from above on the mesh.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2180 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.