With Windows 10 update, Firestorm and LL viewer fail to load

Tevor Zenovka

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2093 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

After the latest update to Windows 10 on March 30, both Firestorm and the LL viewer refuse to load, hanging up midway through loading.

Is anyone else experiencing this and have a fix? Right now, I simply rolled back to the previous build of Windows, but that will only work for a short while before they force an update.

I have tried:

Reinstalling (clean) both viewers

Turning off the virus controls

Reloading the graphics driver

It all runs beautifully under the last build with no issues

Possible solutions? If not, another viewer that might work instead, at least until either the viewers catch up to Windows or MS finds a bug that is causing the incompatibility?

Thanks

• Sad 1

18 minutes ago, Phil Deakins said:

When did you get the latest Win10 update? I use Win10, and I have auto-update downloads, and I don't have a problem, but I haven't had an update for maybe a week or so. Maybe a little less, maybe a little more.

March 30 was when I got the update. I rolled it back, but it forced an update again this morning (April 3)

This is interesting. There was a cumulative update available on March 22nd that my automatic installation didn't see. I just now poked Windows Update to check (which it had done earlier this morning), and this made it see and download it, which is underway at the moment. Crossing my fingers.

EDIT: Well, that installed and the LL viewer loads and connects as usual, so... maybe not the same update?

Edited by Qie Niangao

I had a look too. My Win10 told me that I'm up to date, but I told it to check anyway, and there's a cumulative update. So I told it to install it. It got as far as 'Preparing to install - 87%' and just stayed there. So I closed it. My Win 10 didn't seem to be bothered about that update.

I went back to get the windows version number and found that it's installing the cumulative one. Now I have to restart. I'll be back.

Back.

I'm logged in on both the LL viewer and Firestorm, so I can't offer anything to help with the problem, except that, if it's anything to do with versions, I'm using Win10 Home, version 1709 for x64-based System (KB4056892).

Edited by Phil Deakins

On 03/04/2018 at 7:59 AM, Tevor Zenovka said:

Após a atualização mais recente para o Windows 10 em 30 de março, tanto o Firestorm quanto o visualizador de LL se recusam a carregar, desligando no meio do carregamento.

Alguém mais está experimentando isso e tem uma correção? No momento, eu simplesmente voltei para a compilação anterior do Windows, mas isso só funcionará por um curto período de tempo antes de forçar uma atualização.

Eu tentei:

Reinstalando (limpo) os dois visualizadores

Desligando os controles de vírus

Recarregando o driver gráfico

Tudo corre maravilhosamente sob a última compilação sem problemas

Soluções possíveis? Caso contrário, outro visualizador que funcione em seu lugar, pelo menos até que os visualizadores acessem o Windows ou o MS encontre um bug que esteja causando a incompatibilidade?

obrigado

I also had a similar problem
my windows 10 has been updated
I do not understand the reason.
now when I open the second life
I get a message saying: this program is incompatible with this computer
please update driver.
and my windows went back to old version 8

I already tried several updates
but I can not
Please, I need help.
thank you

On 4/3/2018 at 3:59 AM, Tevor Zenovka said:

After the latest update to Windows 10 on March 30, both Firestorm and the LL viewer refuse to load, hanging up midway through loading.

Is anyone else experiencing this and have a fix? Right now, I simply rolled back to the previous build of Windows, but that will only work for a short while before they force an update.

I have tried:

Reinstalling (clean) both viewers

Turning off the virus controls

Reloading the graphics driver

It all runs beautifully under the last build with no issues

Possible solutions? If not, another viewer that might work instead, at least until either the viewers catch up to Windows or MS finds a bug that is causing the incompatibility?

Thanks

Could you post the number of the update that seems to be causing the problem? That would help. I know since I have two Win10 machines that they get updates at VERY different times. My friends too get updates very different times than I do. So knowing the NUMBER WOULD HELP so we can really compare.

Also did your Win10 version come with a newish machine or did you do the free upgrade thing? That seems to matter too judging by what my techie friends tell me :D

Thanks.

Edited by Chic Aeon

On 4/3/2018 at 11:59 AM, Tevor Zenovka said:

Right now, I simply rolled back to the previous build of Windows, but that will only work for a short while before they force an update.

Can you login on the viewer while on this earlier build of windows, go to Help -> About Second Life (or About Firestorm), click the "Copy to clipboard" button & paste all your system information here.

On 4/3/2018 at 11:59 AM, Tevor Zenovka said:

What exactly do you see on the screen when the viewer hangs?
Can you post a screenshot?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, karollynlewis said:

I also had a similar problem
my windows 10 has been updated
I do not understand the reason.
now when I open the second life
I get a message saying: this program is incompatible with this computer
please update driver.
and my windows went back to old version 8

I already tried several updates
but I can not
Please, I need help.
thank you

Are you saying you rolled Windows back to Windows 8?
If so, can you login now?
If you can get an SL viewer to launch, in the top menu bar of the viewer, go to Help -> About Second Life (or About Firestorm), click the "Copy to clipboard" button & paste all your system information into a comment here.

Did this problem start when you updated Windows from Windows 7 or 8/8.1 to Windows 10 or were you previously running Windows 10 without any problems & an update to Windows 10 caused the problem?

If you didn't already reboot your computer after the problem update, please try this.
I've had a Windows 10 update recently that didn't prompt for a reboot after it was installed & I got the video driver error on viewer launch until I rebooted, which fixed it.

Edited by Whirly Fizzle
  • Like 1

I get the windows 10 updates regularly also, but i haven't had this issues. So it's not necessarily that. It may be - and i'm just putting out a hypothetical here - it may be something to do with graphics? maybe try and see if there's an update available for your graphics card. Like i said, just a hypothetical.

• 3 months later...
2 hours ago, Squuff said:

I have a Mac & I'm having the same problem - so may not be a Windows related problem ... something in the FS app itself. 

The thread you posted to is several months old.  I don't think there are any serious across the board issues with either Windows or the FS app (I myself use both Windows 10 and FS, and have not had any issues). 

It might be better for you to start your own thread post, with more details about your system and the specific problem you are having.  If you can get the viewer login window to come up, the best way to provide helpful information about your system is to go to "Help" -> "About Firestorm"  and then paste the contents of the pop-up window into your post. (If you're using the LL viewer, it is "Help" -> "About Second Life").

• 4 weeks later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2093 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.