What is a Sploder?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2310 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

It's an object that people pay into, in the hope of winning more money than they pay in. Every so often, it 'explodes' and pays money to some or many of those who paid in. They usually don't explode until a certain amount has been paid in. There is usually one person who gets a sizeable amount, and others who get small bits. The owner gets to keep a percentage, so not all the money is paid out. They are usually to be found where people gather, such as in clubs.

It used to be the case with one brand of sploder whose sploders mostly looked like a bulging bag of coins or a pig that they were click to enter you didn't have to pay anything this brand even had a HUD that would show all the sploders with the most money in and TP you there if you entered you might get L$500 if you were really Lucky L$1-50 if you were the majority and L$0 if you were really unlucky or entered as it was close to Xploding

• Like 1

There was one similar to that in a place I went to a few times. Anyone could put into it, and the money was shared equally among those who were in range at the time. There was no waiting - you put in, and it got shared straight away. I won a contest there once so I put the winnings into it. It wasn't really a sploder. It was a way of giving everyone a few L$.

Edited by Phil Deakins

The one I pay L$$$$ into, remembers the highest paid in ever, displays that name (plus last paid in and remaining).

That was my weak excuse for feeding it L$$$$$ (Love’s name always shown), nobody is more foolish than me to put more in. However, once someone got tired of seeing my name and put L$100,001 in. Had to up my game after that. So now it’s at L$200k and that’s why.

• Haha 1

Because of the gambling rules, most of them nowadays are "no-lose" sploders with a minimum deposit of, say, L$20.  If you pay in the minimum, you're guaranteed to get at least that much back. Which means that if everyone pays the minimum, everyone gets exactly the same back, which is kinda no fun at all really.  It really depends on some people paying in more than the minimum, in which case they stand a good chance of losing. Then again its a traffic-generating thing so it's often to the advantage of the club staff to load it with more.

Personally I prefer the trivia-balls. They generate more conversation (and I win more often!)

• Like 1

Hmm..not sure if anyone said this, but I think one reason they are called “sploders” is, in olden days they would use “explodey” particle effects on payouts.

Of course now, even if they don’t do that, you see the “script talking from this object” default particle effect whenever a sploder says something.

56 minutes ago, Matty Luminos said:

Personally I prefer the trivia-balls. They generate more conversation (and I win more often!)

I thought of a nice variation on the trivia ball / truth-or-dare concept: Script lets anyone ask an “anonymous” question on a channel, then relays the question to others. (I never made it “secure”, so any scripter could listen on the anonymous channel, really.)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2310 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.