Desperate help with lag

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2260 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have been complaining about lag on my region for 9 years now and it seems to just keep getting worst . We have tried everything we could possibly try other than stripping this old region down to nothing and rebuilding . I don't know what else to do . I was told our region is old this is why we need a new one ? I was told it is active scripts , we have dropped them greatly , still Major rubber banding and open chat lag , some players can't move . Many love it here but leave because of the lag issues. I own a full role play region and need the rentals to help pay the tier but our efforts are fruitless . Is there a way to find temp rezzers on a region ? some gadget or ? Any help and suggestions are greatly appreciated ! Thank you ! 

1d0df4ad91e999b2b0bb77595b154652.png

I went over to your place and had good FPS (like 86) but there is indeed rubber banding going on and I rezzed slowly. The sim visually rezzed quickly for me though. So very odd and I am not technical about this part of the equation.

I will say that as I sim designer there are WAAAAAAAAAY too many visible textures at the entry point. Notice how most events have the vendors INSIDE the buildings?  There is a reason for this and not only for aesthetics.  I also had a very difficult time finding it to the actual role play area even though there was a huge yellow arrow to that section.  

So along the way you might think about some changes in that direction.  Not sure if it is all the visible vendors (seemed like hundreds but I didn't count) is part of the issue but it certainly isn't optimum. 

Good luck finding your issues. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Amigatu Choche said:

Thank you so much for your help . I will look to have the shops redesigned to keep the vendors inside a building , maybe little stores . :) 

Good plan. I don't know if that will help your rubber banding issue, but it will help OTHER issues for folks :D.     Good luck.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, animats said:

Far too much script time being used there. Less than half the scripts finished during that time step.

Not much network traffic.

What's the location?

SL needs a performance tool which shows which scripts on a sim or parcel are using the most time.

SL already has the tool -- it's in the Region / Estate window under Debug. The region owner and estate managers can get to it.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Amigatu Choche said:

I was told our region is old this is why we need a new one ?

Possible but unlikely these days, as almost all regions now run on the decendants of the Class 8's people like to boast about.

11 hours ago, Amigatu Choche said:

I was told it is active scripts ,

You don't actually have that many 'active objects' or that many scripts compared to many plac es I've been.

Physics time is low, I'm assuming you are not using pathfinding scripted critters which is good. Agents/child agents suggests you have a fair number of people on the place.

I'm guessing here, but it seems to me that the scripted items you DO have are old and klunky, using some really inefficient lsl scripts, lot's of old vendor boards, stuff that's overly dependent on long range wide sweeps with llSensor perhaps to trigger RP style auto-chat spam, talking bartenders, or triggers for sound effects ?

The sim seems very full primwise... Looks like a common RP Sim lag failure, way way too much prim litter for 'immersiveness', to the point where people's viewers choke trying to maintain framerates while rendering all that 'immersive' rp prim litter.

Cut back 20-25% on the prim litter, reduce the number of antiquated vendor boards, encourage merchants to upgrade to more modern systems.

Seek and Destroy on the llSensor triggered rp effects, ditto on any llSensor based 'sim defences' such as old school lag-tech security orbs.

Seek and destroy on any and all 'persistent temp re-rezzers'. Those things can kill a sim's response times dead.

Toggle invisi-squint on (crtl-alt-t) and see if you have too much alpha blend in the environment, eliminate as much as possible, switch to alpha masking where possible, just turning round on an over a-blended sim can cause massive drops in fps, and client side rubber banding as peoples viewers try to cope with too many old crap alpha blend prim trees layered one behind the other. Ditto old grass prims and wild flower prims, old school 200? made ground cover.

Check building textures... Many 'solid' wall and floor textures were uploaded as 32 bit rgba tga's, with totaly white alpha channels, so even though they appear solitd, SL THINKS they MAY be at least partially see through, and jacks up rendering times trying to check the alpha blend on a pixel by pixel basis for every damn texture on every damn face of every damn prim in every damn linkset within the clients draw distance.

Putting stuff in enclosed areas can help... If the walls of the enclosures are NOT alpha blend... If you use an alpha blended 'solid' wall texture, then SL treats it as possibly see through and tries to render all the stuff behind it regardless.

Simple rule, if when you toggle invisi-squint on, more than half your field of view turns foggy red... Your build is bad and needs urgent alpha-blend-nuking.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, animats said:

Far too much script time being used there. Less than half the scripts finished during that time step.

Not much network traffic.

What's the location?

SL needs a performance tool which shows which scripts on a sim or parcel are using the most time.

12 hours ago, Amigatu Choche said:

I was told our region is old this is why we need a new one ?

Possible but unlikely these days, as almost all regions now run on the decendants of the Class 8's people like to boast about.

12 hours ago, Amigatu Choche said:

I was told it is active scripts ,

http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Colorado/128/128/29

36 minutes ago, Klytyna said:

You don't actually have that many 'active objects' or that many scripts compared to many plac es I've been.

Physics time is low, I'm assuming you are not using pathfinding scripted critters which is good. Agents/child agents suggests you have a fair number of people on the place.

I'm guessing here, but it seems to me that the scripted items you DO have are old and klunky, using some really inefficient lsl scripts, lot's of old vendor boards, stuff that's overly dependent on long range wide sweeps with llSensor perhaps to trigger RP style auto-chat spam, talking bartenders, or triggers for sound effects ?

The sim seems very full primwise... Looks like a common RP Sim lag failure, way way too much prim litter for 'immersiveness', to the point where people's viewers choke trying to maintain framerates while rendering all that 'immersive' rp prim litter.

Cut back 20-25% on the prim litter, reduce the number of antiquated vendor boards, encourage merchants to upgrade to more modern systems.

Seek and Destroy on the llSensor triggered rp effects, ditto on any llSensor based 'sim defences' such as old school lag-tech security orbs.

Seek and destroy on any and all 'persistent temp re-rezzers'. Those things can kill a sim's response times dead.

Toggle invisi-squint on (crtl-alt-t) and see if you have too much alpha blend in the environment, eliminate as much as possible, switch to alpha masking where possible, just turning round on an over a-blended sim can cause massive drops in fps, and client side rubber banding as peoples viewers try to cope with too many old crap alpha blend prim trees layered one behind the other. Ditto old grass prims and wild flower prims, old school 200? made ground cover.

Check building textures... Many 'solid' wall and floor textures were uploaded as 32 bit rgba tga's, with totaly white alpha channels, so even though they appear solitd, SL THINKS they MAY be at least partially see through, and jacks up rendering times trying to check the alpha blend on a pixel by pixel basis for every damn texture on every damn face of every damn prim in every damn linkset within the clients draw distance.

Putting stuff in enclosed areas can help... If the walls of the enclosures are NOT alpha blend... If you use an alpha blended 'solid' wall texture, then SL treats it as possibly see through and tries to render all the stuff behind it regardless.

Simple rule, if when you toggle invisi-squint on, more than half your field of view turns foggy red... Your build is bad and needs urgent alpha-blend-nuking.

Thank you so much for your help ! I am passing this information to my estate manager who has been trying to help me with the lag . I only wish there was a easy way to find the old scripts , and temp rezzers . 

2 hours ago, Parhelion Palou said:

SL already has the tool -- it's in the Region / Estate window under Debug. The region owner and estate managers can get to it.

That's useful.  If you're authorized to query "Top Scripts", that should tell you where to look.

I had a short look in the landing area.
Triangle count is low - by my standards but I used over 700 MB of texture memory.
The sim looks ok, a bit overscripted but thats harmless. Scripts will run at the speed of 50-80% of their normal speed.
Huge spikes of "net time" whenever someone teleports in - that causes the rubberband effect. So they are either pretty evil avatars or they have to load alot of stuff - most probably too many of to hi res textures.
For the scripts - that's not too important here but someone with access to the management console can check if we have objects that use an unusual high amount  of cpu time and kill them. Most probably there aren't any though.
Another problem can be avatars loaded with 1000 scripts when they TP into the sim. Tell them or kill them or both. :)

Edited by Nova Convair
  • Like 1

We still battling the lag, we reduced active scripts from over 9000 down to 5500 , there is still lag , temp rezzers we can not find maybe hidden in the ground some place as this region I bought from someone over 9 years ago ,I have contacted LL numerous times , they tell me the same things over and over , I truly wish they would just come and find this stuff as I just dont have the knowledge to do this . I pay for this region and have for years on time ! anyone who can help is welcome , any ideas and suggestion , any gadgets that anyone knows about that will help me , I would also like to find a high script avatar warning device if anyone knows where I can find that , thank you all so much and lets pray LL fixes these servers so we will stop crashing ! http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Colorado/128/128/29  :D

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2260 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.