A language problem perhaps?

ChinRey

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2288 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Yes, this is me venting off steam but if anybody actually has some advice it would be very highly appreciated.

Imagine you rent out sky platforms on mainland. Put prims at the right height and exactly the size and location of the parcel. Then tell people they can build whatever they like on the platform but not under any circumstance extend anything outside it because then they will be encroaching on other land owners' properties.

To me that sounds straight forward but how do you explain it in a way that people understand???

33 minutes ago, ChinRey said:

To me that sounds straight forward but how do you explain it in a way that people understand???

tbh, for me nothing wrong with the statement.

( there are quite some people moving from private estates to mainland for cost reduction ( platforms are cheaper than actual land)

and... at estate land it's often possible to put off sim objects at your land... at mainland that's always above another owner's land ( not LI wise, but visible)

Clear and straight. But perhaps some kind of cultural influence?... as you know a lot of people call my way of writing also straight forward, blunt, rude... while that mostly isn't the intention.

34 minutes ago, Cindy Evanier said:

Maybe texture around the edge of the platform on all 4 sides  DO NOT REZ OR MOVE OBJECTS BEYOND THIS POINT

That's actually a good idea, at least for anyone that is causing problems.  Folks that understand and do follow the rules might not like that in their view.

4 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

That's actually a good idea, at least for anyone that is causing problems.  Folks that understand and do follow the rules might not like that in their view.

maybe it could be some sort of thing that derezzes after the platform is rented and if they cross the line snowflakes start to fall  :D

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Maybe:  Do NOT go beyond your platform on ANY SIDE for ANY REASON.

I tried that almost word for word. ;)

1 hour ago, Alwin Alcott said:

and... at estate land it's often possible to put off sim objects at your land... at mainland that's always above another owner's land ( not LI wise, but visible)

Awww, don't remind me. I once had a tenant - a quite seasoned SL'er even - who rezzed a complete 512x512 m2 surround landscape around her platform. She was American though so that may actually have been a language problem...

1 hour ago, Cindy Evanier said:

Maybe texture around the edge of the platform on all 4 sides  DO NOT REZ OR MOVE OBJECTS BEYOND THIS POINT

Hmmmm... I have this modular chainlink fence system I made long ago.

23 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

I'd vote for something other than snowflakes

Avatars dropping from the sky perhaps. That's what we get when they place a quarter of the house outside the platform and it happens to be at a sim border. And then of course, they complain to the poor overworked landlady about floors suddenly going phantom.

Seriously, I think it's mainly about people's ability not to hear what they don't want to hear. And with the frustration well and truly vented off, I have to admit there have been some quite entertaining episodes.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, ChinRey said:

Yes, this is me venting off steam but if anybody actually has some advice it would be very highly appreciated.

Imagine you rent out sky platforms on mainland. Put prims at the right height and exactly the size and location of the parcel. Then tell people they can build whatever they like on the platform but not under any circumstance extend anything outside it because then they will be encroaching on other land owners' properties.

I tell them that they cannot go beyond the parcel number which is visible at the top of their screen as the land description.

So if it says Ravenglass Rentals B&B No. 8, if they do not see that above them on their screen, they cannot build.

Also I tell them their chosen radio stream will not work unless they see No. 8. 

That usually convinces them.

But I don't police this as you do. I don't see it as a build problem ,but only a radio problem.

If they want their skybox to hang over on to No. 7 or No. 6 although they only pay for No. 8, who cares?
In a group their prims do not "count" on the other tenants' land. To be sure, it can be more difficult to count when they spread out.

But some skyboxes are too long to fit so I allow it.

Occasionally the other tenants get all shirty because they think that prim will take away from them. Once they grasp that it will not, they don't care.

But trust me, a radio stream that turns into Country & Western all of a sudden when you put in Ambient Pill makes them understand instantly. Do not go outside my radio stream.

Edited by Prokofy Neva

1 hour ago, Prokofy Neva said:

If they want their skybox to hang over on to No. 7 or No. 6 although they only pay for No. 8, who cares?

Oh, I don't mind if it's over my land, as long as it doesn't interfere with anything else. The problems are when they extend their builds onto other people's properties - including one of yours actually. I kind'a like my neighbors and I do not want my rentals to bother them. Besides, I'm the one who ahs to deal with complaints bothfrom tenants and from neighbors.

1 hour ago, Prokofy Neva said:

But I don't police this as you do. I don't see it as a build problem ,but only a radio problem.

I try not to police the skyboxes at all, not as long as they stay out of sight of the ground and of others and don't use more than their allocated share of the sim resources.

On the ground I have the policy that anything new has to fit in with everything that is already there within normal draw distance. But that is only to protect residents and visitors from upleasant surprises and there's usually no need for that up in the sky.

Edited by ChinRey

21 hours ago, ChinRey said:

Oh, I don't mind if it's over my land, as long as it doesn't interfere with anything else. The problems are when they extend their builds onto other people's properties - including one of yours actually. I kind'a like my neighbors and I do not want my rentals to bother them. Besides, I'm the one who ahs to deal with complaints bothfrom tenants and from neighbors.

I try not to police the skyboxes at all, not as long as they stay out of sight of the ground and of others and don't use more than their allocated share of the sim resources.

On the ground I have the policy that anything new has to fit in with everything that is already there within normal draw distance. But that is only to protect residents and visitors from upleasant surprises and there's usually no need for that up in the sky.

I don't care if your tenant goes on my land IF he is rooted on your land so his prims count on your land, not mine. But I would have right-clicked and returned an encroaching prim like that by now, and if I didn't, it can't matter, for the reasons I've explained in other threads: few sims use up all their prims since the 50% increase. 

When I say "policing," I don't mean going in their skyboxes, which I never do, once I set them up, unless I get a complaint from another tenant. I mean policing the prims on the land, or encroachment issues.

I would differentiate between prims of your tenants going on to your non-group neighbors -- that I wouldn't allow, would promptly respond to any complaint, and would remove. It doesn't happen much tho. Maybe my rentals tend to have a different problem than yours, Linden water, that returns things, and drives newbies crazy until they get it. Either they make a smaller skybox, or they encroach and live with that.

But for me, the issue is one tenant impinging on another tenant. I try to avoid that certainly on the ground, but in the sky, skyboxes can be long or odd shaped or those domes are annoyingly large for what they are, so they encroach. So this as I said I solve only in terms of radio streams.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2288 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.