Same stuff tow different shop ...

Derekmate

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2293 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

40 minutes ago, ChinRey said:

That's the way I see it too but I don't really put much significance to the whole "original art" idea anyway, neither in SL nor in RL.

I think there's a distinction to be made between 'originality' and "original art".  I don't think it's about people admiring the craftsmanship and originality of the items, but more like consumers going to several events a month (or searching for items on marketplace) and seeing the same 4 or 5 templates turning up time and time again with various combinations of textures on, which in turn can lead to seeing your friends and other random people you meet wearing the same outfit as you just in a myriad of different colors/patterns.

I guess it could be be jarring to the immersive nature of a virtual world for some, since it undermines their own sense of originality and uniqueness when it comes to their avatars and therefore their online persona?

Perhaps it's less about the originality of the content and more about peoples own need to feel that they themselves are as unique in their second lives as they are in real life.

40 minutes ago, ChinRey said:

No creative person lives in a vacuum and everybody base their work on somebody else's to some extent.

Absolutely, whether consciously trying to emulate an artist they admire or being subconsciously influenced by art that they've seen I think every artist is to some extent influenced by their peers.  That being said I've always had a preference for artists that rely more heavily on real life and their own imaginations for inspiration.

Edited by Fluffy Sharkfin
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, Fluffy Sharkfin said:

... which in turn can lead to seeing your friends and other random people you meet wearing the same outfit as you just in a myriad of different colors/patterns.

I solve this by being really bad about unpacking things right away.  Sometimes, by the time I unpack a purchase or a gift or a hunt item, nobody remembers everyone wearing it months ago. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

Another thing to consider is that the whole creators buying mesh templates thing is a two way street, yes it means you potentially can buy the same mesh item from two places unawares, but it also means you can buy the templates yourself and create and sell your own versions. You can have a mesh clothing business, without having to create mesh clothes.

• Like 1

I don't see the problem. Worse case scenario is it's an 'oops'.

I've come across several items over the years that I really like. Then, while randomly browsing another store, have seen the exact same item (same creator) offered for sale in a different store (different seller) and thought to myself .. this item fits my Maitreya body like a glove and I love it!

Then promptly purchased the same creator's item again offered by a different store with a completely new set of alternative textures. Yay!

I've done this about 4 or 5 times for some real favourites. With a few I've been even luckier to find that one store sold in editable form so I can apply my own textures for further variations, which is why I collect textures.

SL is a learning curve,  same as in real life. Every purchase mistake is not a case of money lost, but rather a case of a lesson paid for. Repeatedly paying for the same lesson again and again is when you need to stop and take stock of your own ability to learn and garner experience. Mistakes = lessons, not failures.

Edited by Candice LittleBoots
speling
  • Like 2

It took me quite awhile when I first started to realize that different creators were all using some of the same templates.  I noticed it first in the medieval/fantasy dress line, because that's what I was around most initially.  I really noticed it recently, with clothes for the Tweenster body and the Tonic body.  It doesn't bother me.  In fact, with the Tweenster girl clothing, it's interesting to see note of something new released as a template by one of the full-perm template creators, then go around to all the stores seeing how the various creators have used it.  I have quite a few girl clothes all based on the same template, but all looking different in terms of textures, etc.  

My friend with the Tonic body has noticed an increase in a larger variety of clothing styles being offered for Tonic bodies in the last six months or so, and many (most all) clearly are from a templates, but she is grateful for that. 

With all of the different mesh bodies out there now, plus the standard sizes for system bodies, I can see why more creators would be turning to templates.  

13 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

I solve this by being really bad about unpacking things right away.  Sometimes, by the time I unpack a purchase or a gift or a hunt item, nobody remembers everyone wearing it months ago. 

I had a friend once who bought wine like that.  Bought it, put it away, and refused to drink it until he had forgotten how much he'd paid.  Great guy to visit!

• Like 2

On 1/13/2018 at 5:07 AM, Derekmate said:

... and of course I brought it bout. And then realised what I did. Not the best thing to do on a Saturday what is started sh.ti already. The "creators" are different but the hol stuff is identical. Little bit latter I will do a few snapshots just to show. But in this moment I try to get some answers and hopefully my mony back as well. The best part one of them is have the "authentic" tag in the name. 

It's also possible the OP bought a ripped version of someone else's non-template work, or a full-perm item that was being resold as full-perm in violation of the original EULA.

21 hours ago, Derekmate said:

Yes it is.

And this is from the Cambridge dictionary. https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/fraud

If you want to argue do it with them.  

Well done you are the first person on my ignore list. 

And this is the definition of "authentic."

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/authentic

Note that it says nothing about being "original" - in fact, two of the definitions require something else to be pre-existing for something to be an "authentic" version of it.

• Like 1

It happens; particularly if it’s a template. You start to get an eye for it after a while. But also since most creators emulate certain fashion photos, you end up with similar looking items too.

It’s not fraud though, since templates are meant for resale. When new ones come out everybody rushes to put it out.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2293 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.