Moving Your Own Avatar

Elora Lunasea

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1527 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Is there a way to move your own avatar now that mesh bodies are involved?

A while ago, Strawberry Singh had posted instructions on how to put yourself in edit, and then you could move/rotate yourself.  I had totally forgotten about his and looked it up just now.

I got it to work momentarily but then, nada.  I took off the mesh body and it worked fine.  Ghosty seems to think maybe part of my non-mesh body must have been poking through somewhere allowing me to grab it.  All I know is now I can't get it to do it again.

Does anyone have a work around for this or am I going to have to buy something like Anypose (I already have the one to control expressions). I'd much rather be able to do this without spending money on it.  

I could only get it to work by clicking on my head, which is still 'classic' and not mesh. If I clicked on the mesh body, it just did the same thing that it does when you try to edit any rigged mesh clothing or hair -- i.e. the arrows seem to move, but the object does not.

ETA:  I could not however get my body to rotate that way, only move it

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

I could only get it to work by clicking on my head, which is still 'classic' and not mesh. If I clicked on the mesh body, it just did the same thing that it does when you try to edit any rigged mesh clothing or hair -- i.e. the arrows seem to move, but the object does not.

ETA:  I could not however get my body to rotate that way, only move it

Yep, same.  It's odd that I was able to do it several times (alas, no rotation here also) but then, nothing.

Logged on an alt, and it worked with the mesh body on. With mesh head as well.  I guess I'm going to have to research HUDS to do this

So I tried the trick by taking off my mesh body and could only get it to move not rotate. I DO NOT recommend trying to rotate using the number boxes in the edit window. My avatar disappeared and I couldn't get it back. Highlighting stuff, I noticed my head was up in one direction, the sweater I was wearing went another direction but all was invisible. Thankfully a relog put her back together and if not it was my alt who would have been transporter-gone-awry messed up and not Clover =~.^=

Edited by Clover Jinx
  • Like 1

Poseball.

Either put the pose in the poseball, or activate the animation whilst on an empty ball (empty balls tend to give script errors but they can just be clicked away). 

Once you're on the ball, simply press Ctrl + Alt + T to show transparent, find the poseball and go into edit mode with it - if you rotate the poseball, you'll rotate your avatar along with it.

It can be done with a pose stand too, but I tend to go with just a ball - there's free scripts for making one all over, or you can grab one off the MP. Ping me in-world if you want a copy of the script I use.

• Like 1

Yeah, but a poseball will only work if you are some place where you have rez rights.  Strawberry's older post showed how to basically "edit" yourself to move yourself around, but that doesn't seem to allow rotation (at least, not currently).  She noted a HUD that would allow you to move another person around, but only the 'edit' for moving yourself.

There is a trick to it. I can still get it to work, but you need to grab your avatar at the right point. First of all, edit something else you're wearing (I usually go for the hair, or an accessory), then - while still in edit mode - click your ankle. You'll know you've got the right point when the selection highlight disappears and crosshairs centre on your body.

Here's a quick gif: https://gyazo.com/bc236f6ce69ce63657a469883dc66271

ETA: Although I've never been able to get the rotation to work, so I just spend ages spinning my avatar around into roughly the right position (frustrating as hell when it doesn't turn for ages, and then turns a full quarter-circle), then I move it along the axes.

Edited by Skell Dagger
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Orwar said:

Never seen that trick before. Does it work if I have my model's edit rights...? 

As far as I know, no. We can't edit anything on someone else, even if we have edit rights from them. Handy though it would be for fashion purposes, the potential for griefing would be too much.

13 minutes ago, Skell Dagger said:

ETA: Although I've never been able to get the rotation to work, so I just spend ages spinning my avatar around into roughly the right position (frustrating as hell when it doesn't turn for ages, and then turns a full quarter-circle), then I move it along the axes.

This is the part that drives me crazy and that I really, really wish I could find some gadget for.

2 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

According to Strawberry, you can edit others this way -- though the rotation might still be an issue:

https://strawberrysingh.com/2013/06/13/moving-avatars/

Huh, well there you go. I figured that, since you can't edit anything someone else is wearing, there would be no way to edit their avatar itself. I stand corrected!

My guess is that an update between Strawberry's post and now "broke" the rotation part of this trick. Accidentally is more likely since if it was intentional I would imagine the whole thing would no longer be possible. With so many using those super expensive photo huds, it's largely gone unnoticed.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

According to Strawberry, you can edit others this way -- though the rotation might still be an issue:

https://strawberrysingh.com/2013/06/13/moving-avatars/

Did you see in the linked post on "moving your own avatar" this bit of instruction?

Instructions on how to move your OWN avatar:

1. Bring up the Develop menu by pressing “ctrl-alt-Q”
  2. Enable: Develop > Avatar > Character Tests > Allow Select Avatar
  3. Press “ctrl 3” to bring up the edit box
  4. Right click on your avatar and move yourself around

6 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Did you see in the linked post on "moving your own avatar" this bit of instruction?

Yeah and that mostly works -- you can move yourself side to side and back & forth and up & down, but the rotate doesn't work. 

On 12/29/2017 at 2:06 PM, Love Zhaoying said:

Yes, of course. 

Anyway, I was in touch with Berry and alas, there is NO way to do this with mesh bodies. She didn't even have a specific hud she could recommend.

/insert sad face

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Since I know nothing of SL scripting or posing, I wonder how hard it would be to script something like this into a HUD.  Of course it would have to be able to work on your avatar while already in a pose that is also manipulating your avatar. 

You know, given my programming background, I should really at least learn some of the basics of SL scripting.
   but that would take away from shopping and hunting time

• Like 4

• 2 years later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1527 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.