Voice not working - Done everything in Support

JakeWhite

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 282 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

So my voice was working before, and then suddenley I have no dot. I've tried everything in support section of wiki, even doing a clean install. I am NOT asking about my own voice, I mean SLVoice.exe itself is not working. I have no dot, and since most of my friends on SL use voice, it is incredibley frustrating I cannot hear them. There has got to be an issue with SLVoice.exe itself. Can someone help me find my log file/set one up so I can post it?

EDIT: Found the log file, find it here: https://pastebin.com/4Q1DYypj

Edited by JakeWhite

18 answers to this question

I have tried - Reinstalling drivers, relogging after turning voice off then on, setting device settings, going to a region which has voice and resetting, restarting my whole computer, checking slvoice has an exception in firewall, trying different HTTP fetching options, shutting down all applications that use voice, relogging and ending slvoice process, tried a different viewer entirely...

As I said, "everything" listed in the wiki.

I MUST stress this isn't an issue with my own microphone itself (it works in other programs) the issue is I have no "dot" at all and cannot hear voice either.

Edited by JakeWhite

47 minutes ago, JakeWhite said:

I've tried everything in support section of wiki, even doing a clean install.

From that, I can't be sure which support section of which wiki you consulted, or which "everything" you have tried. If it didn't include the excellent advice in the Firestorm wiki at http://wiki.phoenixviewer.com/fs_voice  , though, give it a shot.  And please note that their "everything" does not include reinstalling the viewer.

Actually, if you have tried EVERYTHING then there is no hope for you. You are doomed for eternity to be a voiceless virtual you... I'm being flip to emphasize the point Rolig was making. Unless you tell us what you have tried, you are pretty much on your own.

SLVoice.exe is an app that connects the viewer to Vivox voice services. Anti-viruse software and firewalls are suspicious of programs that perform these functions. So, if you haven't (here I am guessing cause you didn't say) try suspending your firewall then in another pass your anti-virus then in another both and see if that resolves the problem. If so then you'll know where to look to solve the problem.

And hopefully you know about Voice Island for testing and resolving voice problems.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Jake, most systems have more than one firewall.  There's a software firewall in your computer (Windows Firewall, unless you're using a third party anti-virus solution) and a hardware firewall in your router/internet modem box.  Some people even run TWO software firewalls, although I don't think that's a good idea...no additional protection, and considerable additional overhead.

Also, do you use Windows 10?  Microsoft has recently incorporated Skype into it, and (this is just speculation, I have no data that says this is a problem) maybe that is interfering with Vivox.

I use Win 10 Pro and Skype. I do NOT allow Skype to start with Windows. But, I have on occasion had Skype running in the background when using Firestorm. It wasn't a problem. I don't remember trying with the LL viewer.

Generally when installing, on the first run Windows asks you whether to give the viewer access to the Internet. It then punches the firewall holes you need. But, if you have a router based firewall in the path Windows cannot punch the needed holes there. So, Lindal's point is right on. You would manually have to open ports there.

The Windows Firewall keeps a log here: %systemroot%\system32\LogFiles\Firewall\pfirewall.log. you could check that for problems. Warning it is tedious work.

We know the viewer works. We know the system is up. That leaves something in the viewer settings, computer, or connection. With all that you have eliminated, it is getting a bit esoteric. 

Looking in FS using their settings search, there are not many settings that could prevent the viewer recognizing the mic or speakers.

So, I'm pretty much out of ideas. The additional firewall hiding somewhere or an ISP block would be the remaining possibilities.

On 9/6/2017 at 7:00 AM, Rolig Loon said:

From that, I can't be sure which support section of which wiki you consulted, or which "everything" you have tried. If it didn't include the excellent advice in the Firestorm wiki at http://wiki.phoenixviewer.com/fs_voice  , though, give it a shot.  And please note that their "everything" does not include reinstalling the viewer.

https://wiki.phoenixviewer.com/fs_voice does recommend installing a new version.

On 2/8/2019 at 9:49 AM, Rolig Loon said:

Please note the date on this old thread. Recommendations may change over time as Linden Lab and others introduce or retire features, and as old bugs are replaced by newer ones. 🙂

For all of the years I've used Firefox, reinstallation has been a standard part of dealing with any problem of undetermined cause. 

Reinstalling a viewer can fix problems with a corrupted viewer. Reinstalling over the top of an existing install repars most such problems. It is a simple and mostly non-destructive step. So, it is a reasonable early step in a troubleshooting process.

However, most of my difficult problems have been because the viewer crashed and corrupted the support files, settings, cache, cache index, or inventory list. Doing a clean install or deleting support files is tedious and  places additional load on the system which may aggravate a problem. It is worth the time to chase the problem for a bit before resorting to the more complex Clean Install.

Yeah me to having the same issue loll have not done the re-install yet but I have all 3 viewers second life/ fire storm and black dragon... All of them have the mic greyed out lol my mic is new and works on skype/FL and virtual dj sooo I know it works because I was talking g to a friend 1 night then shut it down went to bed got on in the morning and boom has not worked since.. Lol I did try and see if the voice was not ticked everything is switched on but I keep getting told by my friend that it's disabled haha soooo I'm stumped no idea....... What to do loll I need help 

13 minutes ago, AriaLeila said:

Yeah me to having the same issue loll have not done the re-install yet but I have all 3 viewers second life/ fire storm and black dragon... All of them have the mic greyed out lol my mic is new and works on skype/FL and virtual dj sooo I know it works because I was talking g to a friend 1 night then shut it down went to bed got on in the morning and boom has not worked since.. Lol I did try and see if the voice was not ticked everything is switched on but I keep getting told by my friend that it's disabled haha soooo I'm stumped no idea....... What to do loll I need help 

https://wiki.firestormviewer.org/fs_voice

Yes done all that followed and done it all twice🤔😕 I downloaded the 32 bit and the 64bit but.... In saying that when I did remove firestorm and then put it back on all my user name and passwords were still there... I done the fire wall thing not sure how to work that but clicked the fire storm and I had it on private and still didn't work so I put it on public still does not work loll I'm out of ideas concidering it did work 1 day and then the next day came and have not been able to get sound can't even hear my friends it's fully frustrating as I'm not used to this as imvu does not have voice. 

We are assuming you run an up-to-date Windows 10 operating system. You haven't told us. You also haven't told us if the mic works with other apps on the computer.

Since three different viewers have the same problem it is WAY unlikely it is a viewer problem.

This pushes it to Windows or hardware problems. So close the viewer. Physically disconnect the mic. If it is a USB mic you should hear the Windows sound of a USB device disconnecting. Then plug it into a different USB port. Hopefully you will hear it re-connect.

If you  use an audio mic port, try disconnecting re-connecting.

The next simple step is disconnect the mic and restart the computer. Once rebooted re-connect the mic.

If those steps don't work, search for Windows mic not working. I suggest any search engine other than Google as they have joined the anti-free-speech-cancel-culture.

I've tried all these things... i can't use voice. it's infuriating. i've played for over a decade and just recently got back into it, or at least i tried to. i can hear my voice when i test my mic but... it refuses to work when i press voicerecord or toggle voicerecord. it works when i test my mic! but it won't work when i press or toggle voice. whatever i shouldn't get back into this game it's a major time sink 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 282 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.