IS SL really all about sex now

Milla Alexandre

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2409 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I was in the Faraway talking to this guy who is an old time user like  me i.e. we've both been in SL for almost 10 years.  The Faraway has gotten smaller and during out discussion he mentioned that SL used to be more a out aft and creativity and now it's all about sex because people only have to type in their DOB to qualify in adult areas.   Age verification used to be a more lengthy process.  Is this what SL has been lowered to.  

If I am wrong can you guys suggest more creative areas for me to explore.  I love taking pictures in SL and that would be a lot of help.

Thanks Milla

12 answers to this question

For some people, SL has always been about sex.  That isn't likely to change.  True, in the "good old days" it was slightly more difficult to get into Adult regions than it is now, but ir was never hard.  As long as you were over 18 in RL, all you had to do was click on a couple of buttons in a web site to get access.  No big deal.

SL has also always been about creativity. I might argue that it has become even more about creativity since the Lab made it possible for residents to upload their own mesh objects, and then introduced materials support.  The quality of user-created stuff has improved dramatically in the past 5 years.  The flip side of that is that it's harder for someone who doesn't know how to handle the tools for making mesh and texturing with materials.  Residents who can only make prim items are being left behind.  You'll find a lot of discussion about that in these pages.

I suggest using your Destination Guide to start sampling interesting places.  There are loads of them out there.  Don't write off the Adult regions, by the way. They are not all about sex.  In fact, there is an incredible amount of creative building going on in Zindra, and now in Horizons. I was flying around the Horizons regions yesterday, looking at what people have built there in just the last 6 months. There's some impressive stuff. (There's also a lot of Linden-created content, so look at it too.)

• Like 2

Once you open up Adult content acceptable you can be inundated with Adult stuff.

If you hang out in noob areas, you are constantly bombarded by annoying users and often nude, rude, crude avatars.

Even with Adult settings enabled avoiding adult content is easy. I live in Zinda, the adult continent, and traveling down the streets and flying around it isn't much different than the G mainland. 

We have no hard numbers for how many are creating things or how many are here to hook up. But, if you look at the marketplace, search on sex and sex related terms and then look at the number of items found you can compare them to other searches. try Dance, dress, hair, skin, etc. The numbers for none sex related items way exceed those for sex. This doesn't prove anything. There are huge overlaps. 

If you attend some of the Linden run user group meetings you'll from 20 to 40 people in the meeting that are about building.

If you search for SL blogs you'll find the fashion blogs WAY out number the sex-in-SL related blogs.

If you look at the Tech and Creation sections of this forum, you'll find those sections are way more active than the Adult sections of the forum.

These are all empirical measures and not accurate or complete. But, I think most indicators are there is less sex in SL than than there is talk about it. People writing about SL definitely write more about sex and exaggerate. Ask Jo Yardley (1920's Berlin). She grips about the exaggeration every chance she gets. In most of her opinions in this area I think she is right.

You may just be getting sensitive. Or swingers have moved into your neighborhood... 

What we expect, we find...

• Like 2

"What we expect, we find..."

Nalates has summed it all up right there!

Second Life is a world, a microcosm of humanity.  Humans being human, we have a deep and abiding interest in sex.  So, you'll certainly find that reflected in SL.  I've never played WoW, but I've heard that you can hook up there, too, and that's a world which is much less amenable to it in its basic structure and content.

I've been here for ten years too, and from what I see there is LESS emphasis on sex in SL than there was back then.  Or maybe this is just another example of Nalates's Law.

• Thanks 1

Different types of people play the game for different reasons. There are definitely a lot of people who play the game as a sex simulator, but thats never been the focus. SL got that kind of reputation because it was really the first social MMO where something like that was even possible. Plenty of other large social games were around, but SL was the first where you could have more than RP textsex in it, and it was actually allowed too.

The games not all about it, theres much more to SL, in the end its a glorified chatroom, but there are people who think its basically just a game for virtual sex. It really just come down to how you play the game and how you interact with people.

Thank you Madeline, I was there for a week and one day, got our power back at home two days after the storm but of course when you're in the hospital you only get sick lol.

Anyway I made it out of there and made it back home and all is good, we don't see another hurricane coming the pike any time soon.  So I guess I'll in SL for a while.

• Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2409 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.