Adding Furniture

AthenaDruid

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2451 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

10 answers to this question

Drag the item from your inventory to the ground near where you want it.

If instead of (e.g.) a table appearing, you get some sort of a box, then that is most likely a container which contains your table and maybe other items, and it needs to be unpacked. The standard way to do that is to right-click the box and "open", then "copy to inventory", then when that has finished you can delete the box, and locate the table in your inventory.

When you have the table on the ground, you can right-click and "edit" to reposition it. A set of coloured arrows appears, which you can drag to move the table. To rotate the table, hold down the Control key while dragging.

Edited by angeoco
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, angeoco said:

When you have the table on the ground, you can right-click and "edit" to reposition it. A set of coloured arrows appears, which you can drag to move the table. To rotate the table, hold down the Control key while dragging.

Angeoco's answer should cover most of it but a few details:

When you reposition, make sure you click on one of the arrows and not on any of the triangles. The triangles are traps intended to trick inexpereinced user into loosing control and scatter their belongings all over the place.

The rotate function has an even worse trap but easy to avoid if you're aware of it:

When you hold down the control key while editing an object, you will see a white semi trasnparent sphere surrounded by three rings. Carefully move your cursor to the blue ring, watch it grow slightly and then click and hold. It should not be necessary to adjust the green or rd ring when you're position furniture and whatever you do, do not under any circumstance click on the whiteish area outside the rings. - it's a trap!

Why those traps? Who knows - it was probably the kind of things that passed for humor among the original Second Life developers.

• Like 1

Also BEST to practice in a sandbox (type "sandbox" into the map and you will find many) AND with items that are COPY (most are these days except for gacha prizes).   It takes a little time to get the hang of things. We all had to at one point. 

• Like 1

Chin Rey is speaking with her tongue somewhat in her cheek.  The "traps" she's referring to are positioning or rotation handles that work in more than one axis at a time, sort of like a "free rotate" command.  As such, they're not very useful for positioning furniture!

Edited by Lindal Kidd
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ChinRey said:

Carefully move your cursor to the blue ring, watch it grow slightly and then click and hold. It should not be necessary to adjust the green or rd ring when you're position furniture and whatever you do, do not under any circumstance click on the whiteish area outside the rings. - it's a trap!

Even that blue ring is sometimes a PITA, especially for adjusting something like a dangly earring.  I carefully click the darn thing so I can rotate just a tiny bit, but instead the minute I click the blue ring, the object spins all the way around backwards.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Even that blue ring is sometimes a PITA, especially for adjusting something like a dangly earring.  I carefully click the darn thing so I can rotate just a tiny bit, but instead the minute I click the blue ring, the object spins all the way around backwards.

Happily I made jewelry for a lot of year. Practice DOES HELP - LOL.  But I hear ya. 

4 hours ago, Rolig Loon said:

Hello?  I was asleep, but I swear I heard someone call my name.  O.o

Lindal thought I was you in this post:

18 hours ago, Lindal Kidd said:

Chin Rey is speaking with her tongue somewhat in her cheek...

She changed it later though.

I'm of course flattered that somebody could mistake me for the Queen of the Answers Section ^_^

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2451 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.