Experience with Asperger's Syndrome

JoeDex

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2456 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I could use some help. If any of you have experience in being around and adult with Asperger's Syndrome I would welcome any information. I am think about how to interact with them and what to be aware of so as not to offend. I have zero experience with this and appreciate any information.

You asked for "any" information.

Considering the complex nature of Asperger's and the individual differences among types and degrees of severity as well as the possibility of co-morbidity it is very difficult to get anything reliably worthwhile from the personal anecdotals of possibly suspect sources that would be of benefit to you in your particular case. If indeed what you need information on is actually Asperger's Syndrome.

It is always better to deal with real world problems in the real world. Look for resources within your community. Not on web forums like this one.

Additionally, I understand completely the value of both theory and practise.

1 hour ago, Derek Torvalar said:

It is always better to deal with real world problems in the real world. Look for resources within your community. Not on web forums like this one.

Derek this is a general discussion forum. That means that all topics are supposedly welcome. Some of us seek information from knowledgeable sources where we can find them. A few years ago there was an article on the large number of SL users with asperger's that play. You are good with google you can look it up. 

So one of the nice things about web forums is that you get to voice your opinion on what is and is not appropriate, and I get to ignore your advice.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JoeDex said:

Derek this is a general discussion forum. That means that all topics are supposedly welcome. Some of us seek information from knowledgeable sources where we can find them. A few years ago there was an article on the large number of SL users with asperger's that play. You are good with google you can look it up. 

So one of the nice things about web forums is that you get to voice your opinion on what is and is not appropriate, and I get to ignore your advice.

Don't be so impertinent Joe. I am well aware of where we are and what this particular section of the Forums allows. Especially considering that I was one of the many who lobbied to have them created when they switched to Lithium many years ago which did not have a General Discussion section.

What you are failing to appreciate is that the information and opinion I provided you is the most appropriate. Unless of course you get all your legal, medical, professional opinions and advice from internet forums? I am also certain that the article you a referring to me is also from a respected authority? Because as we all know if it is on the internet it must be true, right?

But by all means do ignore my advice. I certainly can't know what I am talking about now can I? lol

But then you can't really know what I am talking about now, can you?

6 hours ago, JoeDex said:

I could use some help. If any of you have experience in being around and adult with Asperger's Syndrome I would welcome any information. I am think about how to interact with them and what to be aware of so as not to offend. I have zero experience with this and appreciate any information.

Asperger's is an old term and not really in favour any more. It is all part of the Autism Spectrum, and it is just that, a wide and varied spectrum.

How you deal with any person on the Spectrum needs to be tailored to them and any advice isn't really useful. play it by ear, have some give and take, and understand it's easier for you to change the environment then them cope with it.

I have one SL-Brother on the spectrum whom needs to be strongly sworn-at, so he realises he is being inappropriate. He responds very well to extremely explicit swearing.

I have another, an Ex-SL-Lover who is brilliant and very high functioning, most wouldn't know except he can't stand repetition. So my landscaping always takes this into account.

Another friend is one who forgets about others, so I remind him to pay attention a lot.

For your friend(s) it's impossible to say. Sorry.

Edited by Callum Meriman

I am autistic, Asperger Syndrome, at least that's how I was categorized in to, I think that many of the posters here have not had any problem communicating with me, in fact, they wouldn't know I was Autistic if the information didn't come to them, in my view, the way my brain is connected, I see myself pretty normal, maybe a little eccentric sometime but not difficult to deal with.

usually they have a very normal intelligence and perception of the world, they just had some unusual stuff, mostly in the way they communicate with others, for example in my case I loathed looking at people in the eyes, felt like it was an invasion of privacy, still to this day I avoid looking at people in the eyes and try to do something that looks more "normal", like working on something.

in terms on how to relate to them, you can act normally and expect some unusual things here and there in their personality.

• Like 1

I have a very close friend with Aspergers.  He makes an effort, and I make an effort.  But it is something that each relationship needs to work out.

People with autism are just people, you know.  We are all weird here.....

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2456 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.