Singular avi for men?

ChrisDiamond865

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2511 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Just getting back into SL and first I heard bento is the way to go and someone today in SL said she heard Singular Avis were the best for men..  First time ever hearing of Singular..   but I Googled and have no clue what it is or what I'm looking for lol..

Can someone explain or break down what I need for the new bells and whistles in SL for a high quality male AV?

Thanks!

32 minutes ago, Jeny Howlett said:

They probably meant Signature Gianni Mesh Body. Remember to demo everything :D

Thanks yea I asked her and she said you were right lol so thanks!

But where do I find a Singature Gianni Mesh Body ? Who makes it?    I really don't know where to start..  

Do they make specific clothes or something for Gianni Mesh Body?  I'm so confused =X

52 minutes ago, ChrisDiamond865 said:

Can someone explain or break down what I need for the new bells and whistles in SL for a high quality male AV?

most likely as Jeny said it's Signature....

BUT

if you'r back after a absence... go look around, try everything and dont buy anything yet before you know what is is! ... another very good mesh body is Belleza Jake, or Slink.

These two have the big + of having a lower renderingcost.

Demo..demo..demo and read a lot, for example here http://meshbodyaddicts.com/

don't step in the trap of buying TMP ... it's simply obsolete, and you'll regret it.

• Like 2

Welcome to the work of vanity. ;)

For information about mesh bodies and bento, the first stop should be Mess Body Addicts. Here is a link to their Signature body review.

[ETA]

For what it's worth, bento is a code name for Linden Lab's project that added extra animation bones to the avatars.  While it is the cool new toy of the day, if all you are animating is the basic human shape, this has all been done already using mesh and HUDs.  Other than hands and facial expressions (which most non-bento mesh do with HUDs) there is not much bento adds to humans.  If you want wings, a tail or 4 arms, that's where bento shines.

Edited by Rhonda Huntress
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Alwin Alcott said:

most likely as Jeny said it's Signature....

BUT

if you'r back after a absence... go look around, try everything and dont buy anything yet before you know what is is! ... another very good mesh body is Belleza Jake, or Slink.

These two have the big + of having a lower renderingcost.

Demo..demo..demo and read a lot, for example here http://meshbodyaddicts.com/

don't step in the trap of buying TMP ... it's simply obsolete, and you'll regret it.

TMP?  The Market Place?

The Mesh Project

It was one of the first full mesh bodies made.  Really nice body too.  It had some wonky sort of exclusivity for skins, tattoos and even clothes and suffered some sort of management collapse so that is has not been updated or supported in years.  All of the assets are on an off site private server somewhere and when it stops (which seems likely to happen since no one is taking care of the brand) all those $50 bodies will be unusable.

Edited by Rhonda Huntress

Just now, ChrisDiamond865 said:

TMP?  The Market Place?

just forget that  and don't try to find it!   many these days finally start to see this company isn't more than a moneypit. They have no developer and only can sell a copy of a body that once was new, but never updated or changed in more than two years now. For me it confirms the long going story their team had a fight, Split up, and all what was left for the store  was a copy body in de vendor, No more update or improvements possible.

(and you'll pay a price for it thats nearly double the price for Signature or Belleza for lots less quality and possibilities)

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, ChrisDiamond865 said:

Thanks yea I asked her and she said you were right lol so thanks!

But where do I find a Singature Gianni Mesh Body ? Who makes it?    I really don't know where to start..  

Do they make specific clothes or something for Gianni Mesh Body?  I'm so confused =X

Look up on Raph Dirval in game. Hes the creator of Signature. Here's his flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/109756825@N06/. Also when you search for clothes on MP type in "signature". You can find mens clothes at events that cater to male avatars. Seraphimsl.com is good site to keep up with events. Signature is one of the most supported male mesh bodies, so getting dressed shouldn't be an issue.

Edited by Jeny Howlett
updated
  • Like 1

I agree that while it is perfectly find to go try Signature first at your friend's recommendation, you should try the others too. I have tried them all and think Belleza is the best so far. As you know by now TMP (while still supported by designers) is no longer viable. MAKE SURE you look at the hud and understand how it works (all huds are definitely not equal and are just as importing as the body IMHO). Also see if you can get clothes for that body. Currently Bellaza, new on the screen, doesn't have that many clothes for it but more are being added as the weeks go by.

The only other thought is that apparently Slink is the only body that works with AKERUKA heads (this via Strawberry Signh in a video) so that might be a consideration. If you plan on getting a head too, I would get demos for both head and bodies and try on demo skins until you find a set that all works well together and feels like you. 

It is a BIG project and a big expense so taking your time is a good mode of travel. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Chic Aeon said:

Currently Bellaza, new on the screen, doesn't have that many clothes for it but more are being added as the weeks go by.

i switched to Jake some time ago, it's possible to buy enough different clothes to get a impressive wardrobe :)

The monthly male sales events give a good impression what's being made for the mesh bodies these days.

The Men's Department

Mens Only Monthly

Mens Cave

mostly one or two Items at Fameshed, Uber, Ultra ... and more

some brands:

Belleza (also clothes )

GAS

7 Deadly S[k[]ins (skin and appliers, join group for monthly great free skins!...mostly with appliers)

Lenox

Slink (body hands and feet,  and clothes for it's own brand)

Clef de Peau (clothes ánd skin appliers)

Straydog ( skinappliers, very often new releases)

Catwa (heads)

Arkan

Zed

PBM

Gabriel

Akeruka (heads and skins)

Parker

Ascend

TCod

E. Storm

Etham

Cold Ash

Lavarock

Kalback

Dufaux

Legal Insanity

Noche

Riot

NSS

Horr

Egoism (exmachina)

and more .. but now you know what i have in my inventory :)

a last remark... nearly all of those stores sell their items in packs with sizes for the current popular bodies, but always check if the logo is on the vendor.

Thanks all for the help and brand names and what not but what do I need to look for on the MP?  I'm really not understanding what I need to put together a mesh av...     like just search for ''mesh'' in the skins category?  But then how do I adjust or get a shape for the skin to fit on?

3 minutes ago, ChrisDiamond865 said:

Thanks all for the help and brand names and what not but what do I need to look for on the MP?  I'm really not understanding what I need to put together a mesh av...     like just search for ''mesh'' in the skins category?  But then how do I adjust or get a shape for the skin to fit on?

best result on clothes in MP you will get when using "gianni" or "belleza"  as search term, than click "apearal" and than "mens"

But your question also shows you didn't look at info a lot yet :)  the body comes with a standard shape that you can alter as much you like.

Also make your mind about a head, mesh or not(and bento or not).. if you don't you will need a classic skin for your head, ánd a applier, by the same creator ánd same skin color for the body.

If you go for a head too, you need no classic skin, but a applier for the head too.

As long these terms make you frown... stay at your classic av  :)

7 minutes ago, ChrisDiamond865 said:

First - you have to get the body. I believe it comes with in built skins in various tones.

Singature also sells mesh heads. Since you are new to bento and mesh in general i would hold it off for now and only mess with the body.

After you are done setting up your body you can start looking for clothes. We already gave tips and pointers where to look.

K I've got Demos for Slink, Gianni, Jake, and Adam

I guess what's confusing me is when I was in there getting demos I kept seeing an OMEGA sign everywhere..  like I am guessing those are skins..?

So if OMEGA are skins..  why does it matter which brand of body I choose?  All the bodies seem to look the same.. and if you can just change the shape anyways.. why does it matter?

FYI: The skins that come with the Signature mesh body will only match to its default head skins. Slink's default mesh body skins don't match with any specific mesh head or system head skin. Belleza's Jake body comes complete with Belleza skins, plus a head applier for Catwa mesh heads.

@ChrisDiamond865, I strongly suggest that you demo at least the following three bodies:

Both the Signature and Belleza bodies come with hands and feet included, whereas Slink has hands and feet sold separately. To find the inworld store locations, search for the creators' names and check their 'picks' section.

ETA: Looks like we're cross-posting, as you've replied while I'm typing ;)

13 minutes ago, ChrisDiamond865 said:

I guess what's confusing me is when I was in there getting demos I kept seeing an OMEGA sign everywhere..  like I am guessing those are skins..?

So if OMEGA are skins..  why does it matter which brand of body I choose?  All the bodies seem to look the same.. and if you can just change the shape anyways.. why does it matter?

Each body is not the same - they all have different builds and will respond differently to your shape edits. Adding 5% of muscle to the Slink body will give you a vastly different result than adding 5% muscle to the Signature body. So it matters very much which body you choose! Adam is the slimmest, 'softest' body. Next is Slink, which tends toward lean with a swimmer's torso, and finally Signature has a more 'built' musculature (not overtly so, but more than Adam or Slink).

Omega isn't a skin, as such. It's a cross-brand type of applier. Skin designers create for specific bodies (eg: Signature, Slink, etc) but they will often also create an Omega applier, which can be used - with the appropriate Omega relay for your body -  on any body. However, they don't always work perfectly, so you must demo, even with Omega appliers.

Example: Stray Dog released a body applier skin specifically for Signature, but included an Omega applier. I tried the Omega applier on my Slink body, but because Slink has separate hands and feet, I had visible seams at my ankles and wrists. However, when I tried the same Omega applier on my Belleza Jake body (which has hands and feet included) there were no seams.

ETA 2: On the point of Belleza's Jake being a new body on the market: designers are already creating specifically for it, but I've found that most Signature-fit clothing will also work on the Jake body.

Edited by Skell Dagger
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Skell Dagger said:

FYI: The skins that come with the Signature mesh body will only match to its default head skins. Slink's default mesh body skins don't match with any specific mesh head or system head skin. Belleza's Jake body comes complete with Belleza skins, plus a head applier for Catwa mesh heads.

@ChrisDiamond865, I strongly suggest that you demo at least the following three bodies:

Both the Signature and Belleza bodies come with hands and feet included, whereas Slink has hands and feet sold separately. To find the inworld store locations, search for the creators' names and check their 'picks' section.

ETA: Looks like we're cross-posting, as you've replied while I'm typing ;)

Each body is not the same - they all have different builds and will respond differently to your shape edits. Adding 5% of muscle to the Slink body will give you a vastly different result than adding 5% muscle to the Signature body. So it matters very much which body you choose! Adam is the slimmest, 'softest' body. Next is Slink, which tends toward lean with a swimmer's torso, and finally Signature has a more 'built' musculature (not overtly so, but more than Adam or Slink).

Omega isn't a skin, as such. It's a cross-brand type of applier. Skin designers create for specific bodies (eg: Signature, Slink, etc) but they will often also create an Omega applier, which can be used - with the appropriate Omega relay for your body -  on any body. However, they don't always work perfectly, so you must demo, even with Omega appliers.

Example: Stray Dog released a body applier skin specifically for Signature, but included an Omega applier. I tried the Omega applier on my Slink body, but because Slink has separate hands and feet, I had visible seams at my ankles and wrists. However, when I tried the same Omega applier on my Belleza Jake body (which has hands and feet included) there were no seams.

ETA 2: On the point of Belleza's Jake being a new body on the market: designers are already creating specifically for it, but I've found that most Signature-fit clothing will also work on the Jake body.

Thanks so much I will definitely watch those video tutorials.  I hate feeling like a noob. This is honestly so confusing to me but once I understand it better I will be fine. (whenever that will be, who knows)

I just really don't know which body to go for at this point.. I just don't understand why Slink is so good if it sounds like most the stuff wont work with it since they don't include hands/feet

51 minutes ago, ChrisDiamond865 said:

Thanks so much I will definitely watch those video tutorials.  I hate feeling like a noob. This is honestly so confusing to me but once I understand it better I will be fine. (whenever that will be, who knows)

Don't be disheartened, and don't give up. It is a lot to take in in one go. (And this is just mesh bodies. Once you start looking at mesh heads that's a whole new level of confusing.) Just take it slowly and ask as many questions as you need to. Demo the hell out of everything and don't make any quick decisions that you might regret.

I've been working on a mesh bodies and heads "for Dummies"-style post specifically for guys on my blog, but since the initial draft post came out at 4000 words and I hadn't even touched on half of what I wanted to cover, I'm having to re-draft it as a series. I want to get right back to basics so that even an absolute noob to SL can understand it, but it's going to take a lot of work for me to get it looking as I want it. In the meantime, I can paste a section from that discarded initial draft, to help you make a choice regarding a mesh body:

Things to bear in mind when choosing a mesh body

1. Ignore the included skins. They may look awful to you (or you might like them!) but you can change those at a later date if you want to.
  2. Does the HUD have a good selection of alpha cuts to mask sections of the body? The more ‘slices’ that you can see on the HUD, the better your chance of getting mesh clothing to fit.
  3. Is the body Omega-compatible? (We’ll get to that later in the post.) To find out, search the Omega Solutions Marketplace store and search for the vendor’s name (eg: for the Signature ‘Gianni’ body you would search for Signature). If it’s Omega-compatible, you’ll have a much wider choice of skins, clothing, and tattoos to choose from.
  4. Does the body respond to the shape adjustments you want to make? Right-click yourself and select ‘Edit Appearance’ and make a few adjustments (assuming your shape is modifiable) to see how far you can customise it. If you like the overall musculature of the Niramyth Aesthetic body, but not its broadness, can you slim it down enough to the shape you want while retaining the muscles? If you like the slimmer hips and waist on the SLink Physique body but the shoulders aren’t broad enough, can you widen them to your liking?
  5. Search SL Marketplace for the vendor and body name. Does there appear to be a reasonable amount of items created for it? The more, the merrier! Some bodies are kinda proprietory (a bit like Apple with its iStuff) and you can only use their own skins and clothing, which can lead to you looking like a clone of the other guys wearing that stuff. The more third party items you have to choose from, the more you can make your avatar look unique and individual.
  6. DEMO.DEMO.DEMO. I’m flogging a dead horse here by now, but really mean it. Demo the sh*t out of everything. Try as many bodies as you need to, check out every option they have, examine their HUDS, look at the pros and cons (do they include hands and feet or must those be purchased separately? Are hands Bento-enabled? Does the HUD have a lot of alpha cut options? etc)

As to the folliowing:

51 minutes ago, ChrisDiamond865 said:

I just really don't know which body to go for at this point.. I just don't understand why Slink is so good if it sounds like most the stuff wont work with it since they don't include hands/feet

I gave just one single example of how an Omega version of a skin that was exclusively made for one body didn't work on another. That does not mean that "most stuff won't work" with that body. I've been wearing the Slink male body (with the additional hands and feet) almost exclusively since it came out in September 2015 and I absolutely love it. It's one of the two main bodies (Signature being the other) with the most compatibility for things, not the least! Take a gander at my Flickr (be warned: my style is pretty eclectic and I'm not afraid of heels and a bit of makeup sometimes; I'm not your average jeans-n-tee kind of guy, but there's plenty of that kind of stuff around, too, if my weirdo styling ain't up your street :D) and you'll see that there's an abundance of great clothing and skins for it. (I don't use or own the Signature body, btw, because - for me - it's just a little too muscular). That's my own personal preference, but if you ask anyone else they will probably recommend their own favourite, so it's best to demo the bodies, get some demo skins, and see what you like the look of.

Edited by Skell Dagger
  • Like 1

Try em all, I'm still on Slink cause its the most human looking for me, I avoid Asthetic/Athetic, whatever it was called cause I don't find the steroid abuse / roid rage look appealing, Gianni Signature had some pretty weird monkey arms issues with its shoulders on my tests, Belleza looked ok but has sod all clothing support right now. 

* Names may or may not have been spelled correctly. 

Edited by TheBadmagic

On 24/07/2017 at 4:56 AM, ChrisDiamond865 said:

The body you choose depends what places you will go and especially if you will be relaistic sized or 3M tall. I have all three of the main adult mesh, plus a bunch more. As a shape*****er, I swap bodies a lot though. I tend to move mostly to the Slink and a much lesser known specialist body.

The hands and feet for Slink are extra, the total cost ending up the same. In the days before bento the Slink hands allowed you to swap poses. Relaxed, fist, smoking, etc. Now obsolete with Bento. But yeah, you must add the cost of hands and feet to the Slink body.

Some faults that you should consider.

Signature has a pretty bad hud system, and also, check the demo in some linden water, to see if it turns white on your video card. It's the go to body for people who want athletic+huge biceps.

Belleza has terrible ugly deformed hands. It's the body many old TMP wearers are moving to. It's a pity the hands are so deformed. This would be a wonderful body otherwise. Not many clothes still, but that wil change.

Slink is a bit difficult to use at realistic heights but also one that allows you to look real and not like a bunch of walnuts, it's a lean body - maybe the leanest except for the TMP (which has no depth at all, so is desirable for some "Twinks").

EDit seems "S.H.I.F.T" is a banned word on the forums.

Edited by Callum Meriman

This was mentioned before, but since I'm also just wading into this whole Mesh land, I wanted to empasize it -- go to this website and read EVERYTHING under Tutorials.  It really does give a lot of great info and helps to clear up the confusion about all the pieces / parts.

http://meshbodyaddicts.com/

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2511 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.