Banned from my Land for Complaining > rent money not returned

Sylvester Osterham

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2520 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

The land I was renting had some kind of lag problem > my house was returned to my Folder & my computer (a new I7 with a fast Asus Graphics card ) crashed> bad enough but the house was unlinked because I was working on it & some parts were returned in many pieces . many of them unlabeled > this destroyed a months artwork for me > I removed the remainder & demanded my rent money back > I had already paid ahead 3 weeks ahead expecting to stay there indefinitely > I did not abandon the land > I only complained > but when I complained I was suddenly banned from the region for being rude * not accepting no for an answer > no doubt I was upset & never kissed butt > I am still angry > I am upset because I am still paying rent on land I am banned from using because I complained about my art work being destroyed > what kind of way is this to do business > am I just supposed to take it laying down?  I have not done anything against this land owner except complain & tell him I would continue to complain > I have not publicized his name or demeaned his business > but what recouse do I have? He is profiting off my misfortune

Edited by Sylvester Osterham

7 answers to this question

You can take it however you like, but LL is not going to get involved, and says so in the TOS.

and if you name names here your post will be removed.

ETA Demanding things in SL usually works like this.

Edited by Pamela Galli
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Sylvester Osterham said:

not accepting no for an answer >  am I just supposed to take it laying down?

you need to take "no"  as answer and... sitting, laying, hoovering... no difference, you''ll have to take it.

it is s resident-resident dispute, LL will not get involved

It does sound heartless, but the fact remains that a landowner can do anything she wants with her land and can decide who to allow there and who to eject. As Pam says, it right there in the TOS (Sect 4.8).  The landowner doesn't have to give any reasons, and may change her mind without warning.  This falls into the broad category of "Disputes Between Residents".  Linden Lab will not get involved.

It's possible that the lag problem you encountered, which resulted in the return of objects to your computer, was in no way a fault of the landowner. SL is a complex system and it's not error free. In situations like this anger may be understandable, but it's certainly not productive.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sylvester Osterham said:

I have not done anything against this land owner except complain & tell him I would continue to complain >

Since you added this information, it is also probable that you have been muted as well as banned. 

As Madelaine says, it does not sound like the landlord did anything to cause the problem you are holding him responsible for. You do not accept this. Therefore there is from his point of view no further reason to continue the discussion.

@Sylvester Osterham 

The money you have paid is most likely gone. As you can tell from the others posting, that is life in SL. The rules are out there. Ignorance is not an excuse in this case.

The idea you “…ONLY complained…” we are taking with a lot of salt. Giving up a paying renter is something most people don’t do. When a renter becomes more trouble than they are worth then they are dumped. You may be an exception, but we are way inclined to doubt it.

The comment “… I am still paying rent on land I am banned from…” is actionable. If you are in a group and being billed for tier, leave the group. If you gave some rent box permission to debit your account automatically, you can ask the Lindens for help turning it off. Or if you give us specific information on how it is you are still billed/paying we may be able to tell you how to stop the cash outflow.

But, if you are manually submitting payment to attempt to force something… you are making a mistake. It is very difficult to force any issue in SL. Those living in free societies understand the principal at work…

“Take it laying down…” That is optional. The solution is the basic free market concept of the buyer being reasonably skeptical when buying. No one here is going to take care of you. Your financial well being is on you. There are scams and risks in RL and SL. Ask and people will tell you how to avoid them. Make assumptions and it is on you.

As to your “…artwork being destroyed…” that is a problem that many of us feel is on you. Regions can crash, connections can be lost, any number of technical glitches can trash hours or days of work. BACKUP! Not having a backup is on you. I know the creative process does not lend itself to backups nor is there an easy simple way to automatically backup.

Give up being a victim.

• Like 3

Unfortunately what ever money you paid for is forfeited. The ToS protects landowners from having to refund money due to resident disputes. Unless you know the landowner very well never pay for more than a week at a time. In SL disputes happen and a week in SL time is like a month IRL time.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2520 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.