Hello what's new?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2126 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

15 minutes ago, Naiman Broome said:

No I disagree, Shoulnd not be expensive at all and keep the same price of a sim otherwise defeats the purpose of having larger sim , when you could get several sims together. The problem is right that , too expensive and too small piece of land. SL needs to renovate on that level or it will lag behind most of the modern technology for games around!

Also it incentivaters people to create more nice landscape for free , which helps the game to prosper, if you have instead pay rent to maintain a sim it just makes the place ugly and worst!

And, of course, it means that you can't get everything you ever wanted for free ;)

We all want something for nothing, but most of us aim at small changes, not 256 times the size of what it is now. Y'know, things like double the amount of tier-free land, and lower the tier a bit. Small changes like that have a small chance sometimes. What you need is your own 256 sim OpenSim grid. That's absolutely free, and it'll have everything you're asking for. You can set it up for yourself, and leave the rest of us to enjoy the wonder of SL :)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bitsy Buccaneer said:

You know, the smaller you make your av, the more you can do with a sim's worth of land and landscaping.

But of course that won't work for you cause you'd still have to pay for the sim, right?

People want their fun, but they want others to pay for it. Of course that's completely understandable in this day and age.

Doncha know, LL are evil capitalists  exploiting the poor working class (there's that word again) forcing them to pay big bucks for a tiny parcel of land to call home.

Edited by Phorumities
redundant word

2 hours ago, Phorumities said:

Doncha know, LL are evil capitalists  exploiting the poor working class (there's that word again) forcing them to pay big bucks for a tiny parcel of land to call home.

"There's that word again" is a phrase one uses when the word is uttered by someone else. Using it to express satisfaction at something you yourself say simply invokes the law of unintended consequences. From my perspective, I could hardly do more damage to the causes you promote than you're doing yourself.

As a lover of both irony and efficiency, I applaud your effort.

9 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

"There's that word again" is a phrase one uses when the word is uttered by someone else. Using it to express satisfaction at something you yourself say simply invokes the law of unintended consequences. From my perspective, I could hardly do more damage to the causes you promote than you're doing yourself.

As a lover of both irony and efficiency, I applaud your effort.

Phil accused me of the evil of putting people in different classes, so it's just a cheep shot at him

I'd copy paste what he said, but its in a locked thread so it's probably not allowed

Edited by Phorumities
added a line

2 hours ago, Phorumities said:

Phil accused me of the evil of putting people in different classes, so it's just a cheep shot at him

I'd copy paste what he said, but its in a locked thread so it's probably not allowed

This is not a matter of the rightness or wrongness of any position you take. I'm questioning your ability to effectively argue. You just admitted to taking a "cheep" shot at Phil. While I too sometimes commit spelling errors (it's spelled "cheap"), cheap shots detract from your argument, even if you admit them.

You also express a lot of unwarranted certainty. I highly recommend Ben Franklin's autobiography (first chapter, I think) for a reasonably contemporary explanation of the benefits of the Socratic Method. Early in his life, Franklin was quite certain of his correctness on a great many subjects, and wasn't afraid to express it. He discovered that the result was to either back his opponents into corners and/or convince them that they'd make zero headway in presenting their case. As a result, he himself made little headway towards his political goals.

Once Franklin started expressing uncertainty in his positions (even if he was certain), his opponents saw both opportunity and reason to offer their arguments. Over time, Franklin discovered that his expressions of uncertainty became more and more reflective of actual uncertainty, and that his discussions with others were much more productive, sometimes changing his mind (a wonderful experience some people think only women can enjoy ;-). He found himself learning. Still, Franklin was smart enough to use his expressions of uncertainty to draw people deep enough into discussion to eventually change their minds. The Socratic Method both opened his eyes and advanced his goals.

I also recommend Franklin's autobiography for his explanation of what is now known as the "Ben Franklin effect".

You may, of course, continue on your merry way. While I don't generally agree with your positions, and find it generally productive to let you damage them on your own, should you ever promote a cause dear to me, I may have to jump in to defend it.

Edited by Madelaine McMasters
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

This is not a matter of the rightness or wrongness of any position you take. I'm questioning your ability to effectively argue. You just admitted to taking a "cheep" shot at Phil. While I too sometimes commit spelling errors (it's spelled "cheap"), cheap shots detract from your argument, even if you admit them.

You also express a lot of unwarranted certainty. I highly recommend Ben Franklin's autobiography (first chapter, I think) for a reasonably contemporary explanation of the benefits of the Socratic Method. Early in his life, Franklin was quite certain of his correctness on a great many subjects, and wasn't afraid to express it. He discovered that the result was to either back his opponents into corners and/or convince them that they'd make zero headway in presenting their case. As a result, he himself made little headway towards his political goals.

Once Franklin started expressing uncertainty in his positions (even if he was certain), his opponents saw both opportunity and reason to offer their arguments. Over time, Franklin discovered that his expressions of uncertainty became more and more reflective of actual uncertainty, and that his discussions with others were much more productive, sometimes changing his mind (a wonderful experience some people think only women can enjoy ;-). He found himself learning. Still, Franklin was smart enough to use his expressions of uncertainty to draw people deep enough into discussion to eventually change their minds. The Socratic Method both opened his eyes and advanced his goals.

I also recommend Franklin's autobiography for his explanation of what is now known as the "Ben Franklin effect".

You may, of course, continue on your merry way. While I don't generally agree with your positions, and find it generally productive to let you damage them on your own, should you ever take up a cause dear to me, I may have to jump in to defend it.

thank you i put it on my must read list right behind das krapital

my opinions and beliefs might change, but not the fact that I'm correct

would have used right instead of correct but then people would reply oh we already know you are a right winger

Edited by Phorumities
added lines

12 hours ago, Phorumities said:

a more accurate parallel for your argument would be the struggle between haute bourgeois and petite bourgeois. Capitalists pitted against each other in an environment which favours the haute

Someone was telling me about Bakes on Mesh ,which sounds pretty neat..

This is from the Wiki

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Release_Notes/Second_Life_Project_BakesOnMesh/5.1.3.513936

Bakes on Mesh

Bakes on Mesh is a new feature to allow system avatar baked textures to be shown on mesh attachments. Currently you will need a special project viewer to use it. Bakes on Mesh does not depend on simulator code, so it should work in all regions and all grids.

Basic features

• Any face of a mesh object can be textured using one of the server baked textures.
  • The corresponding region of the system avatar is hidden if an attached mesh is using a baked texture.

Benefits

• Avoid the need for appliers -> easier customization workflow
  • Avoid the need for onion avatars -> fewer meshes, fewer textures at display time
  • Avoid the need to sell full-perm meshes. You can customize any mesh you have modify permissions for simply by setting the flags and equipping the appropriate wearables.

Avatar wearables are baked into six different textures (BAKE_HEAD, BAKE_UPPER, BAKE_LOWER, BAKE_EYES, BAKE_SKIRT, BAKE_HAIR) by the baking service. You can now apply these textures to your avatar’s object attachments' diffuse texture slot. Right click on the attachment, click edit and from the edit face menu select textures. Click the diffuse texture icon to open up the texture picker. The texture picker has an extra radio button mode called 'bake' for selecting server bakes. The 'bake' radio button mode has a dropdown for selecting BAKE_HEAD, BAKE_UPPER, BAKE_LOWER, BAKE_EYES, BAKE_SKIRT, BAKE_HAIR server bake textures. When an attachment is using a baked texture, the corresponding base mesh region of the system avatar is hidden.

If a mesh face is set to show a baked texture but is not attached to an avatar, you will see a default baked texture. If you are using an older viewer without bakes on mesh support, then faces set to show baked textures will also display as the default baked texture, and base mesh regions will not be hidden.

Known Issues

Detaching a mesh object that’s using BAKED_HAIR, does not make the base hair region visible. You have to log back in or teleport again. This will be fixed in next release.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Ceka Cianci said:

Benefits

• Avoid the need for appliers -> easier customization workflow
  • Avoid the need for onion avatars -> fewer meshes, fewer textures at display time
  • Avoid the need to sell full-perm meshes. You can customize any mesh you have modify permissions for simply by setting the flags and equipping the appropriate wearables.

You should be wary of believing technically incorrect propaganda on thew wiki...

Quite apart from points 1 & 2 being open to debate, point 3 is just plain wrong.

A template maker selling their templates as not full perm...

How does the retailer sell their creations made with the templates, if they are no transfer?

How does the retailer customise the template to make their own unique products if the templates are no mod?

How many copies of the product can the retailer sell and at what price if the templates are no copy?

Are you going to pay L$2500 a pair for blank white untextured mod/trans/no-copy boots from retailer X that are the same as the blank white untextured mod/trans/no-copy boots from a dozen other retailers who all buy the same L$2500 template, and THEN buy "system socks" to change the colour on top of the L$2500?

That wiki page was written by a tech-illiterate who doesn't understand how full perm mesh templates work. Probably one of the BakeFail Propaganda Cabal who's own store is some 11 year old collection of system clothes that nobody buys any more, rather than an actual NON-Tech Linden, who was happy to just copy/paste the clueless rubbish into the wiki.

2 minutes ago, Klytyna said:

You should be wary of believing technically incorrect propaganda on thew wiki...

Quite apart from points 1 & 2 being open to debate, point 3 is just plain wrong.

A template maker selling their templates as not full perm...

How does the retailer sell their creations made with the templates, if they are no transfer?

How does the retailer customise the template to make their own unique products if the templates are no mod?

How many copies of the product can the retailer sell and at what price if the templates are no copy?

Are you going to pay L$2500 a pair for blank white untextured mod/trans/no-copy boots from retailer X that are the same as the blank white untextured mod/trans/no-copy boots from a dozen other retailers who all buy the same L$2500 template, and THEN buy "system socks" to change the colour on top of the L$2500?

That wiki page was written by a tech-illiterate who doesn't understand how full perm mesh templates work. Probably one of the BakeFail Propaganda Cabal who's own store is some 11 year old collection of system clothes that nobody buys any more, rather than an actual NON-Tech Linden, who was happy to just copy/paste the clueless rubbish into the wiki.

I didn't look too far into it,but thought it sounded kind of neat from what it could do..

I only heard about it yesterday and given the link to it yesterday.. The OP asked what was new, That's about the newest thing I've heard about..

If it happens it happens,if it don't it don't..

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2126 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.