Hello what's new?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2119 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello its been a while I have been out from SL for health reasons and other stuff, I am wondering if there are news things , I mostly jumped the whole 2016 and 2017 till now ...

Any new engine updates, news introductions ? Are still people in SL , we have a demographics increase or decrease?

Always something new. Bento is prolly the largest additional tech in the last couple years. A new set of bones in the body to enable new rigging options for mesh. Loads of other little changes. I would assume the numbers are either steady or down but I don't look at those much. Lots of people still shopping and chatting each day.

Welcome back! 

Welcome back @Naiman Broome !!

@seanabrady is right in that the new Bento skeleton is one of the biggest changes recently.

New Horizons Project also opened its doors; a new region/mini-continent with a loose sci-fi theme located north of Zindra.

Also, have not really found them too useful or practical, but LL introduced new "PLACES" pages program in which you can generate and customize small webpages for each of your owned parcels. Kind-of a neat new feature, but I have not found the whole system that useful yet....

• 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...
2 hours ago, Naiman Broome said:

Would it?

I think larger Sims are desperately needed, 256 m x 256 m are way too small , and too expensive.

All land in SL is based on 256x256 and has been since the beginning. There's got to be lots of stuff hidden in the code that would break if it was changed. If you really want it, put in a Jira ticket asking for it. A bigger region would be more expensive though.

While you're waiting, wander over to Sansar and pick up an experience. They're free and 4096 meters by 4096 meters. That's 256 SL regions. Peaceful there too.

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, Parhelion Palou said:

All land in SL is based on 256x256 and has been since the beginning. There's got to be lots of stuff hidden in the code that would break if it was changed. If you really want it, put in a Jira ticket asking for it. A bigger region would be more expensive though.

While you're waiting, wander over to Sansar and pick up an experience. They're free and 4096 meters by 4096 meters. That's 256 SL regions. Peaceful there too.

Sansar is nothing like SL and its very narrow focused . I wonder why not apply the technology of Sansar to SL and turn the 256 m islands into 4096 ones, that would be good .

5 minutes ago, Naiman Broome said:

I wonder why not apply the technology of Sansar to SL and turn the 256 m islands into 4096 ones, that would be good .

All sorts of things would be good, but, unfortunately, all sorts of things are either impossible to do, or would break way too much existing content, etc. etc. etc.

ETA: Oh, and much of Sansar's technology can't be applied to SL.

Edited by Phil Deakins

It is confirmed that much of the Sansar technology can't be ported into SL. Sansar is a completely different system.

It may have been confirmed that current 256s won't be upped to 4096 in SL, but I believe that it's been confirmed that varying land sizes are being considered.

Things are changing in SL, but you're idea of upping current 256s to 4096s is, I am sure, daydreaming. There's a saying that, if you don't ask, you don't get, but I recommend not holding your breath on this one. Apart from anything else, you are asking for a helluva lot. 256 times more than now!

I suppose next you'll be wanting the equivalent LI as well, claiming that the LI for a 256 doesn't get anywhere near being enough for a 4096 lol.

Edited by Phil Deakins

9 hours ago, Naiman Broome said:

Is it confirmed that we can't have 4096 sims instead of 256?

Nothing is confirmed. Put in a Jira ticket and wait.

Full regions currently get one CPU core each. Since a 4096 region is equivalent to 256 current regions, that's 256 cores and likely at least a couple servers to run the thing. They'd have to work out how to transfer information between the parts that each core handles (like a region crossing?). As for the cost ... say LL drops the monthly cost of a full region to $200. That would make a 4096 region cost $51,200 per month. Maybe they'd discount it to only $50,000 per month. It has to be expensive, or a big-time landlord could buy a couple of 4096s, spend a year or two setting them up, rent them out cheap, and put LL out of the mainland business. LL isn't going to do anything that hurts their profit.

13 hours ago, Parhelion Palou said:

Nothing is confirmed. Put in a Jira ticket and wait.

Full regions currently get one CPU core each. Since a 4096 region is equivalent to 256 current regions, that's 256 cores and likely at least a couple servers to run the thing. They'd have to work out how to transfer information between the parts that each core handles (like a region crossing?). As for the cost ... say LL drops the monthly cost of a full region to $200. That would make a 4096 region cost $51,200 per month. Maybe they'd discount it to only $50,000 per month. It has to be expensive, or a big-time landlord could buy a couple of 4096s, spend a year or two setting them up, rent them out cheap, and put LL out of the mainland business. LL isn't going to do anything that hurts their profit.

No I disagree, Shoulnd not be expensive at all and keep the same price of a sim otherwise defeats the purpose of having larger sim , when you could get several sims together. The problem is right that , too expensive and too small piece of land. SL needs to renovate on that level or it will lag behind most of the modern technology for games around!

Also it incentivaters people to create more nice landscape for free , which helps the game to prosper, if you have instead pay rent to maintain a sim it just makes the place ugly and worst!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2119 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.