Freezes and Lagspikes

Ayesha Askham

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2675 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I don't really know just how widespread this issue is, but from Tuesday onwards many people, from various parts on the RL globe have been reporting sim freezes and far more lag-spikes than normal.  I have observed these "freezes" on my home sim, and while such phenomena are more often than not a result of issues with a client ISP, this issue appears to be different.

For one thing many people are seeing them, from several region of the globe and on multiple sims.  While it may actually NOT be a Second Life issue as such, it is likely to be an issue with one of LL's service providers.

I am curious to know just how many more folk have encountered this.  I did a little monitoring of the issue and when the sim-freezes occur the downstream connection to SL is not failing, which is what often occurs when the client ISP is at fault.

Edited by Ayesha Askham
grammar correction

You should try to determin what channel the 'affected regions ' are on, and compare this to Tuesdays deploy plan announcement, to see if the affected regions are on channels that got new server code, and if so which build, if the freezes ARE thus linked to a particular build rollout, then you have grounds for a jira.

23 minutes ago, Ayesha Askham said:

many people, from various parts on the RL globe ....

many people are seeing them...

....how many more folk have encountered t

such very many people should report it... just stating "many" isnt really helping to solve a problem...

.. the many you mention, doesn't include me till now

OK Alwin, fair point, it was only about half a dozen people, but that was simply within my sphere of activity.  I know more were affected but it was just hearsay.  It seems to have stopped for those that I know and certainly up to now I've observed no further incidents, so perhaps whatever it was is past.

Klytyna, my personal experience was on Main Server but I have since ascertained that Magnum and LeTigre regions were also affected.  Now since LeTig is one of the RC Channels it would seem unlikely that Server software was at fault.

Whirly, it isn't that BUG I am certain, but as you say it is completely vague and I have no more info.  So we'll see.

• 3 weeks later...

I have been getting severe lag spikes the last two weeks.

Doesn't change wherever I go, seems worse just after Teleport. I haven't changed the viewer and I have the most recent FS.

Settles down if I am in the region for a while. Comes back as soon as I move to a new region.

FS this version has been very smooth and stable up until now.

2 hours ago, Darlingmonster Ember said:

I have been getting severe lag spikes the last two weeks.

Doesn't change wherever I go, seems worse just after Teleport. I haven't changed the viewer and I have the most recent FS.

Settles down if I am in the region for a while. Comes back as soon as I move to a new region.

FS this version has been very smooth and stable up until now.

Sounds to me as a normal type of lag.. you enter a region and the whole scene has to load

As soon all is done the lag is gone...

You tp... and .... (start reading my first line again) first tip... check your drawdistance.. the less that is, the less will load.

perhaps you can check some things from this blog http://blog.nalates.net/2011/10/26/troubleshoot-your-sl-connection/

I appreciate the linkage and the kind thoughts.

I've been doing this a while and this lag here is 'stopping the viewer' type lag. Even to black screen and 'program not responding'.

I've only seen viewer fail like this long ago when writing to disk errors (taking photos, save to disk, for example) and lag were interrupting the normal function of the viewer.

Just wanted to chime in on the topic that it was not isolated nor normal kinds of lag.

• 1 month later...

This has been an issue that has been steadily getting worse over time. There is an open bug (the number escapes me) regarding the lag-spikes and sim freezes being due to mesh attachments. With all the new bodies, heads, etc. especially with Bento, the problem has magnified. No word from LL on the fix or if they are even looking into it. It makes busy sims almost unusable (which is a complete joke in a SOCIAL platform.)

1 hour ago, Sharie Criss said:

This has been an issue that has been steadily getting worse over time. There is an open bug (the number escapes me) regarding the lag-spikes and sim freezes being due to mesh attachments. With all the new bodies, heads, etc. especially with Bento, the problem has magnified. No word from LL on the fix or if they are even looking into it. It makes busy sims almost unusable (which is a complete joke in a SOCIAL platform.)

It's BUG-8946 -  Issue with sim time dilation and FPS dropping significantly with first-time mesh injection/rezzing/attaching/rendering in a region.

This is fascinating.  Despite the persistent reports of related phenomena (Alwin we don't need your unhelpful sarcasm here), this issue, in various forms continues to plague SL.  SOME of the issues are almost certainly client-side and may be ISP issues.  Some are most definitely NOT.

Following yesterday's Main Server Roll, performance on our homestead was distinctly better until the evening, when my partner and I both suffered silent disconnects simultaneously.  That was NOT ISP related,(we use different ISPs) and it had more in common with the sort of phenomenon we used to see at the time of the "Time-Warp" BUG a few years ago.  Now I noticed from the release notes that yesterday's roll was to introduce new "safeguards" against capability failure.  THAT causes me to wonder if it is related to the issue?

Edited by Aishagain

On 7.6.2017 at 5:05 PM, Aishagain said:

Now I noticed from the release notes that yesterday's roll was to introduce new "safeguards" against capability failure.  THAT causes me to wonder if it is related to the issue?

It may well be and if so, it means LL is working on it so hopefully all the problems will be over soon. :)

23 hours ago, ChinRey said:

It may well be and if so, it means LL is working on it so hopefully all the problems will be over soon. :)

*sigh*  After all these years and folk still think "Workingonit" Linden actually does something.  I have lost count of the times when the Linden Lab way of "working on" a problem actually makes it worse.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2675 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.