Adding another thread on disappointment with account names

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4754 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm sure there are a million threads on this topic already, and my complaint won't yield any resolution anyway, other than suggestions to start over and make a new account, but I just want to add myself to the list of people who were unpleasantly surprised to be handed a last name of Resident without any warning when creating an account.

If I had known that was going to happen I would have set up my chosen portion of my account name much more carefully. And don't get me started on the Display Name. A lot of people don't view them because THEY were broken for awhile, too, I'm told.

So, as a newb, just over a month old, I just want to say THANKS FOR NOTHING LINDENS.

NavanaxSacratus wrote:

And don't get me started on the Display Name. A lot of people don't view them because THEY were broken for awhile, too, I'm told.

display names go through periods of being broke hence why you see ???? a lot in place of names people choose not to turn display names on because of that plus they might be using the outdated 1.23 viewer or a third party viewer that doesn't support display names or it's just easier to know who people are with out display names on when they change them every week. i'm not a fan of display names my self i have my viewer set to show account and display names i find the most annoying thing about DN's is when unicode/ascii characters are used

I'm no fan of resident either, so I am not diagreeing with you, however I am curious "where" it annoys you?

I have an alt in the resident family & other than needing it in search to find the name on the list of all the others that have her name as a first name, it doesn`t actually bother me much anymore now that it doesn`t show on name tags - It did bug me on name tags.

I use Phoenix so I do need it to login, but no one sees that so thats not so bad. I don`t use Display names so I agree with you on that too, but I think her tag with just one name on it looks ok.

I can feel your pain first I just would hate to have last name of "resident" in general and then also at least today it shouts out "new player"  that will change over time but short term I could see annoying to be labled

Re display names..I don't use them personally and they made me crazy on my friends list for a bit..I dont know most people by what they choose to display.  However, once I figured out how to only view old names it became a none issue. 

Daduchus wrote:

After three weeks or so of not wanting to bother logging in to SL, I start to wonder if I might be missing something. So, I check the forums first, and, like every time before, I find someone complaining with great distress about
something utterly trivial
. Then, I go do something else.

And your point is? :smileyindifferent:

If you want to know whats going on check the blogs or dare I suggest it, login to SL.

People usually post on forums when they are having difficulties not when they are inworld having a great time, what would you expect to find there??

That's like saying, I was going to login to SL and I looked at the JIRA and decided I couldn`t login because there was too many bugs :D

I guess LL ran out of last names?

But yeah when someone has the blairing "resident" as part of the name, one does tend to think, "Oh boy, another unwanted friend request" or just waiting to hear, "How do I make teh money?" or see them wearing a box or losing their hair.

Yeah I know we all went thru all that but it gets tired seeing it non-stop.

The part where it annoys me is that when I was creating the account nowhere in the process did it suggest that the account name I was creating was going to serve as a sort of viewable first name, so I didn't make an effort to have it serve as such. I thought the display name would serve that purpose.

Obviously, now, people address me by my unwieldy account name rather than my easily remembered display name.

Kolby Nissondorf wrote:

Display names work just fine
:D

I use them to change my name to Mike Nissondorf, but when I click a scripted object, it still shows as my username, is that where your frustration comes through?

~K

No, it's in the fact that the account name is what most people see and use as the "display name", essentially. During the account setup process there was no indication that the account name was what was truly going to be used by most people as the "real name" so I didn't know I needed to make it something that wasn't so unwieldy. If I had known that the actual display name was going to be essentially useless I would have been more careful. So, in sum, in my opinion it was a Linden failure to prepare a newb. By the time I began to really understand the ramifications, it was too late.

Qwalyphi Korpov wrote:

Just a month old could make it easy to start over with a new name you like.   Hopefully you didn't spend much money for no-transfer purchases the first month.   Make a new account.  Transfer over what you can from the old one.  Delete.  Move on.

Well, that is the major problem now. I've spent quite a bit on clothing, etc. It may still be the best solution in the end, albeit a costly one.

Irene Muni wrote:

Claireschen Hesten wrote:

... i find the most annoying thing about DN's is when unicode/ascii characters are used

To9tally agree! I cannot imagine how to chat with a Resident with a name (name???) that I cannot write or speak.

And that's the crux of MY problem. During the account setup process there was no warning that the account name was what was really going to serve as the name that most people saw and used to refer to or address a person. I thought the display name would serve that purpose only to slowly discover how wrong I was.

NavanaxSacratus wrote:

And that's the crux of MY problem. During the account setup process there was no warning that the account name was what was really going to serve as the name that most people saw and used to refer to or address a person. I thought the display name would serve that purpose only to slowly discover how wrong I was.

This is really no different from the previous problem of people using names like Joe1234 because Joe was already taken, and then discovering that they were stuck with a foolishly nerdish name with no way to change it.

Because of all the existing scripted objects in SL, along with the older viewers still in use, it will take a long time before display names will totally serve that purpose.  But eventually it will - for all purposes where you don't need a unique account name.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4754 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.