Vanishing discussions

ChinRey

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2678 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Pamela Galli wrote:

That's what makes it all the more egregious that when an interesting one does arise, it disappears.

Well, with no response from a moderator here we just have to assume there was nothing objectonable in the posts and the thread vanished either because of a technical glitch or because the OP asked to have it removed.

That means we can all repeat our views next time an occasion arises and maybe even say it better. Except Qie - his post was so spot on it can't be said better.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gadget Portal wrote:

I suspect someone got upset and reported one of the posts, which almost inevitably gets the whole thread deleted instead of the specifically reported post...

All of the threads that have disappeared have a common characteristic: I have posted to them. Apparently there are two bots at work, one operated by a user which identifies my involvement and one operated by LL which automatically removes the whole thread. Watch this one disappear . . .

ChinRey wrote:

Pamela Galli wrote:

That's what makes it all the more egregious that when an interesting one does arise, it disappears.

Well, with no response from a moderator here we just have to assume there was nothing objectonable in the posts and the thread vanished either because of a technical glitch or because the OP asked to have it removed.

That means we can all repeat our views next time an occasion arises and maybe even say it better. Except Qie - his post was so spot on it can't be said better.

Already tried that once before.

The second time mine was removed I did finally get an explanation but it was absurd.

So I inserted the offending OP into a larger thread where it remains buried to this day.

Except Qie - his post was so spot on it can't be said better.

Wha? Gee, wish I'd been paying attention at the time.

(Whatever the thread was, sorry if I doomed it. I've had some difficulty completely suppressing my revulsion to our new Alt-Blight cabal and their bronzer'd mascot, so I worry a bit what becomes of threads where a hint of my disgust leaks out.)

Derek Torvalar wrote:

ChinRey wrote:

Pamela Galli wrote:

Already tried that once before.

The second time mine was removed I did finally get an explanation but it was absurd.

So I inserted the offending OP into a larger thread where it remains buried to this day.

I know someone that made the same post three times, saying that he should stop repeating himself. The powers-that-be failed to see the joke and banned him permanently for spamming...

Perrie Juran wrote:

Then there is always the
section.

Thank you Perrie, I knew I had seen it before but couldn't find it again.

Looking at the list of my rejected posts, here are four things that are not allowed on this forum:

1. Links to unicode character tables
  2. Info how to report keyword spam on MP
  3. Info how to make a 1 LI detailed tree trunk with good LoD
  4. Links to articles about the old Frank Lloyd Wright museum

Ummm... is it just me or is this beginning to look a teeny weeny bit ridiculous?

Edit: Turns out I actually reposted the third one on that list and somehow it went undetected on second attempt. So while it lasts, here is an example of a disallowed forum post (second one on the page):

https://community.secondlife.com/t5/Mesh/Prim-Bonuses-and-LODs/td-p/3078655/highlight/true/page/6

ChinRey wrote:

Perrie Juran wrote:

Then there is always the
section.

Thank you Perrie, I knew I had seen it before but couldn't find it again.

Looking at the list of my rejected posts, here are four things that are not allowed on this forum:
  1. Links to unicode character tables
  2. Info how to report keyword spam on MP
  3. Info how to make a 1 LI detailed tree trunk with good LoD
  4. Links to articles about the old Frank Lloyd Wright museum

Ummm... is it just me or is this beginning to look a teeny weeny bit ridiculous?

Edit: Turns out I actually reposted the third one on that list and somehow it went undetected on second attempt. So while it lasts, here is an example of a disallowed forum post (second one on the page):

You have to remember that someone (a good friend of mine who occasionally still visits) was once banned for posting the single word: "Yes".

Amethyst Jetaime wrote:

Interestly not all my posts to vanishing threads appear there.

Not posts to vanishing threads appear there, only vanishing posts to non-vanishing threads and not all of those either.

In addition to the four psots I mentioned, I've had two posts removed for what I have to admit were justifiable reasons. Onece was when LL launched VMM before they had an official viewer that supported it. (I still stand by what I wrote in that post but yes, there are some things you just don't say in public no matter how true it is :P ) The second time was the 1,003,231st time somebody asked about "SL2" and I simply replied by repeating "there is no such thing as SL2" over and over again. ;)

Anyway, one of those posts was deleted completely (and I actually got a rather nice PM from the moderator about it). The other post were moved to the super secret section. So obviously there are different routines for it.

ChinRey wrote:

Amethyst Jetaime wrote:

Interestly not all my posts to vanishing threads appear there.

Not posts to vanishing threads appear there, only vanishing posts to non-vanishing threads and not all of those either.

In addition to the four psots I mentioned, I've had two posts removed for what I have to admit were justifiable reasons. Onece was when LL launched VMM before they had an official viewer that supported it. (I still stand by what I wrote in that post but yes, there are some things you just don't say in public no matter how true it is
:P
) The second time was the 1,003,231st time somebody asked about "SL2" and I simply replied by repeating "there is no such thing as SL2" over and over again.
;)

Anyway, one of those posts was deleted completely (and I actually got a rather nice PM from the moderator about it). The other post were moved to the super secret section. So obviously there are different routines for it.

Well that's interesting because all my posts in the "super secret section" are from vanished threads but not all my posts from vanished threads are there.  None were deleted individually.  The whole thread disappeared.

Amethyst Jetaime wrote:

hmmm...

Maybe I'm to blame for one thread vanishing.  Rather than repeat a lot of information about a SL game to answer questions the OP had I put a link to their website in my reply.

Bring on the wet noodles. 

I doubt that can be the reason. The moderators have been notified about this thread and if it was something as simple as that, they should have responded.

Amethyst Jetaime wrote:

Well that's interesting because
all
my posts in the "super secret section" are from vanished threads but not all my posts from vanished threads are there.  None were deleted individually.  The whole thread disappeared.

Yes, that's interesting. As far as I can remember, I've only posted in two deleted threads before, the one we're not talking about here and one where the OP flatly refused to remove accusations against named people. None of my posts from those threads are in the Super Secret Section.

• Administrators

Let's please keep all posts on this thread civil and on topic :)

In regards to the original topic/question, if a thread is removed from the forums by the moderation team it is likely because some aspect of that thread was in violation of the Community Guidelines, Terms of Service, or was simply not appropriate for discussion on the forums. That's of course if one of those pesky forum goblins didn't eat them.

We encourage you to review the Community Guidelines for what sort of content may be subject to moderation:

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Linden_Lab_Official:Community_Participation_Guidelines

Thanks!

Regards,

Kristin Linden

Kristin, is there a reason the entire thread gets pulled rather than offending posts? Recently we were having a quite insightful discussion about why some are attracted to SL instantly and some never -- in response to someone saying how bad SL was. I was sorry that whole interesting discussion poofed. 

Pamela Galli wrote:

Kristin, is there a reason the entire thread gets pulled rather than offending posts? Recently we were having a quite insightful discussion about why some are attracted to SL instantly and some never -- in response to someone saying how bad SL was. I was sorry that whole interesting discussion poofed. 

Because Pam, thre were too many instances of where the thread violated the holy ToS and CG. Rather than remove 5 or 6 posts it would be far easier to whack the whole thread as it, let me see if I can remember the phrase, hmm no I can't precisely but it goes along the lines of the thread being flame bait and having no redeeming value or possibility of returning to civil discourse.

It would be more work than it was worth to save, constantly having to come back to it and whack posts. So, poof.

Tis the insidious nature of POOP.

Derek Torvalar wrote:

Pamela Galli wrote:

Because Pam, thre were too many instances of where the thread violated the holy ToS and CG. Rather than remove 5 or 6 posts it would be far easier to whack the whole thread as it, let me see if I can remember the phrase, hmm no I can't precisely but it goes along the lines of the thread being flame bait and having no redeeming value or possibility of returning to civil discourse.

It would be more work than it was worth to save, constantly having to come back to it and whack posts. So, poof.

And when Lindens act as Moderators (as appears to be increasingly the case - a change of business model, or just a New Year hire/job reassignment?) they tend to forget (or CBA about) the promises made by previous Community Managers that posters affected will be notified that their posts have been deleted with the specific, if usually ingenuous, reasons why.

Dee

Meaning

MissDeeMeanur wrote:

Derek Torvalar wrote:

Pamela Galli wrote:

And when Lindens act as Moderators (as appears to be increasingly the case - a change of business model, or just a New Year hire/job reassignment?) they tend to forget (or CBA about) the promises made by previous Community Managers that posters affected will be notified that their posts have been deleted with the specific, if usually ingenuous, reasons why.

Transparency and open communication require effort.

No one likes to clean the windows.

And complacency sets in and everything seems wonderful when the pictures painted on the glass are 'sooooooooooo amazing and wonderful!'.

Derek Torvalar wrote:

MissDeeMeanur wrote:

Derek Torvalar wrote:

Pamela Galli wrote:

Transparency and open communication
require effort.

No one like to clean the windows.

And complacency sets in and everything seems wonderful when the pictures painted on the glass are 'sooooooooooo amazing and wonderful!'.

I think the original phrase was "transparent and empowered". Meaningless PR schlock of course.

Dee

Motivated

MissDeeMeanur wrote:

Derek Torvalar wrote:

MissDeeMeanur wrote:

Derek Torvalar wrote:

Pamela Galli wrote:

Transparency and open communication
require effort.

No one like to clean the windows.

I think the original phrase was "transparent and empowered". Meaningless PR schlock of course.

Precisely.

Ahh the myth of empowerment.

Gives one a warm and fuzzy feeling doesn't it?

(Like the one you get before freezing to death in the snow)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2678 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.