To those of you who did

lucagrabacr

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3052 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

lucagrabacr wrote:

"How did you successfully lure and make your friends an active SL user?"

I didn't and never really attempted it, even with the one, who is at least an active roleplayer.

And I think you either want SL yourself, or you don't. Getting dragged into it by somebody is not helpful, considering SL isn't spoonfeeding you anything on how to use it. I managed to use it by having my own motivation and knowing how to google.

lucagrabacr wrote:

Well.. 3 hours and I think my friend had enough because he said had no idea what to do and what I was doing
:/
yeah, I guess it's always easier to make people who have interest in SL in the first place to stick around after all.

That's true in almost any organization.  It costs a lot to attract new customers / employees / freshmen / recruits and comparatively less to retain the ones you already have.  Once a newbie gets past the initial shock of joining the crowd, he has enough time and pride invested that it doesn't take as much effort to convince him to stay as it takes to replace him with another newbie. The crucial time is that newbie period. Making friends with one of the "old guys" can make all the difference.  That's why I stayed after my first week in SL. :smileywink:

steph Arnott wrote:

Guess it is entirely to do with why one came to SL. Just a peace awaty from health anfd extended family. Does my head in, lol.

Yeah, I can relate to that, Steph. SL is my retirement home, my retreat, as much as it is my creative space. It's a place to find some quiet. Still, I wouldn't have stayed in SL if I hadn't made friends who helped me over the bumpy parts. I met my oldest friend in SL before I was two weeks old.

My RL best friend has been my "bestie" since about 3rd grade (we're 48 now), she moved away from Michigan shortly after she graduated from college. I missed her terribly, even though we talked for hours almost daily. When I accidentally stumbled upon SL, and figured out what it was that I was looking at, I had a lightbulb moment! I invited her to check it out, and we realized it was the perfect way for us to still hang out and do all the things best friends do in RL....and more than we ever could have actually done! Here it is, almost 9 years later, and my "sister" and I still roam the grid together! It makes living so far apart a lot easier. :matte-motes-bashful-cute-2:

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3052 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.