Do you know anyone who earns only through SL?

bebejee

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3004 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

steph Arnott wrote:

Am not disputing some could be, but i do doubt the numbers are very high. Hear so many exagerated claims that it hard to get a realistic count. If some one has the time and abilty then they can do well any where. The biggest issue i have is that the
MP is so full of garbage
now that it is nie impossible to find anything. Just my opinion.

If only LL would have followed through on adding an Advanced Search with selectable Options...we could filter through the "garbage" and find the "gems" a lot easier today. I remember when that was actually a topic on LL's collective mind. Too bad it "got forgotten".

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello everybody just found an interesting article on the subject. Ebbe Altberg states that in just one year, a total of 60.000.000 $ (US) was cashed out of Second Life. Some folks must make a pretty good living of Second Life. He mentiones a fashion designer who allegedly sold 300.000 dresses at 4 $ each. http://thenextweb.com/insider/2015/11/07/think-second-life-died-it-has-a-higher-gdp-than-some-countries/

Magdalena Siemens wrote:

Hello everybody just found an interesting article on the subject. Ebbe Altberg states that in just one year, a total of 60.000.000 $ (US) was cashed out of Second Life. Some folks must make a pretty good living of Second Life. He mentiones a fashion designer who allegedly sold 300.000 dresses at 4 $ each.

Are you suggesting that the guy ultimately in charge of promoting Second Life has been caught shamelessly promoting Second Life?

(By dangling an unobtainable carrot, I see he also has a thorough understanding of his audience. Nicely done Ebbe).

Radium Soup wrote:

Magdalena Siemens wrote:

Hello everybody just found an interesting article on the subject. Ebbe Altberg states that in just one year, a total of 60.000.000 $ (US) was cashed out of Second Life. Some folks must make a pretty good living of Second Life. He mentiones a fashion designer who allegedly sold 300.000 dresses at 4 $ each.

Are you suggesting that the guy ultimately in charge of promoting Second Life has been caught shamelessly promoting Second Life?

(By dangling an unobtainable carrot, I see he also has a thorough understanding of his audience. Nicely done Ebbe).

Are you suggesting that NOT every third avatar has that dress? How dare you!

Kwakkelde Kwak wrote:

Radium Soup wrote:

Magdalena Siemens wrote:

I know, right?

Radium Soup wrote:

Kwakkelde Kwak wrote:

Radium Soup wrote:

Magdalena Siemens wrote:

I know, right?

Ummm, depends on how the dress was sold. If separate colors, rather than a fatpack, it's easy enought to do if you want more than one color. 

It's easy enough to make 1.2 MILLION dollars by uploading a dress (or a bunch) to SL of all places?

Assume the dresses were uploaded in 2003, when SL opened. That's 14 years ago (that's about as far as we can stretch time right?) so 1.2 million dollars, divided by 14x365= 235 dollars a day, or about ten per hour, every hour, since the beginning of SL.

It doesn't add up does it?

People seem to be just trying to make 2 +2 = 10. All very neat say i earn US$300/week and not cost hours, outlay, tax etc, May as well say i spent 70 hours making something earned  700 but fail to mention i paid 600 advertising, rents etc.  Without the books cash flow it is all guess work.

Kwakkelde Kwak wrote:

It's
easy enough
to make 1.2 MILLION dollars by uploading a dress (or a bunch) to SL of all places?

Assume the dresses were uploaded in 2003, when SL opened. That's 14 years ago (that's about as far as we can stretch time right?) so 1.2 million dollars, divided by 14x365= 235 dollars a day, or about ten per hour, every hour, since the beginning of SL.

It doesn't add up does it?

I'm not sure about your number.

Selling 3 1/2 dress an hour for 10 years will beat the 300K dresses sold mark.

Just off the top of my head ... I can see Indyra's Originals doing that if you count her other outfits as dresses.

Still, that's just the gross income.  Tier for stores, upload fees, sales tem, models, security (as in someone to find and file DMCA's for you unless you want to spend all that time yourself.  I thnk you could net US$60K a year off of that.  Not easily done by any means but entirely doable by some.

But I am sure, it's not rocket science.

The store you mention doesn't sell $4 dresses.

3.5 dresses at a price of about L$300 on average, is roughly $1000 an hour, which is a lot less than the number needed for 1.2 million in revenues.

The more accurate calculation here without funny extra years to make the outcome so nicely rounded :)

300,000 dresses * $4 = $1,200,000

Second Life opened in june 2003, which is 12.5 years ago or 12.5 *365 = 4500 days

1,200,000 / 4500 = $265 / day

$265 * 250 (very reasonable rate) = L$65000 / day

65000 / 24 = L$2750 / hour

So if the store you mention is the one mentioned in the interview (which it can't be anyway because of the non $4 dresses), they'd have to have sold 9 dresses an hour, since the very first day of SL.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3004 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.