I have absolutely NO clue how to work meshes or appliers

Sporianna

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3046 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello!

Yes, Im completely new, but desperate to learn. I would like a walkthrough and understanding on how to work meshes and appliers from absolutely scratch. I look at forums but people only talk about how things just dont work with their meshes or appliers and I dont even know HOW to work them! Could someone give me a fresh start from Kimberley avatar? Trying to figure it out myself has only made it worse, Im painfully confused...

---HUDS are just useless buttons that do nothing....I'm really trying a bunch of stuff....

I have three tidbits of advice for you, hopefully they help.

A-Please don't use that god awful pink color for your posts. I couldn't read a lick of your posts without first highlighting the text. Granted, I am legally blind, but I am willing to bet, others are going to ignore your posts if you continue to use it, just because it's awful on eyes in general :)

B-Use google. Although a search here in the forums will reveal everything you will likely need to know, a quick google search will give you a much wider selection. I don't specifically know what it is you're having issues with, so I can't give specific advice. I can only assume the kimberley avatar you are describing is the LL provided base avatar available in the library. If this is the case, I can offer no more specific help, because I do not use those avatars, but rather my own. There are TONS and TONS of options, even free ones, for new users, as far as avatar creation is concerned. However, I would personally invest more time in finding your way around the world, and figuring out some basics before worrying about that. A google search, though, will give you all you need to know about how to wear mesh clothes and mesh avatars. It seems overwhelming and complicated, but in all reality, its not nearly as difficult as some other aspects, it's just a lot more time consuming, at times.

C-People aren't always around to answer us right away when we need/want it, we have to employ a wee bit of patience. If you don't get an answer to a thread right away, don't worry, someone along the line will answer, when they can. This is a resident forum, not so much a "powers that be" forum. In other words Linden Lab rarely ever responds to anything we, residents, post here on the forums, even if they do read it. We're at the mercy of one another, and sometimes, that means no one is currently around that can answer your/our questions. It's ok, because someone will be along eventually, we just have to be patient. There is no real specific "help" forum, but if you do a search here in this specific forum(the "your avatar" forum) you will find loads of topics that probably cover what it is you're looking for. Try it :D

Best of luck to you, welcome to the forums, and SL :)

WOW had no idea SL was so picky about rank and title...eh.

Sorry for impatience, I've just been losing my mind over the past few days because I've been trying EVERYTHING I could do without spending a buttload by using a free columbia avatar kit...somehow even starting with a "new skin" isn't even doing anything.

I've been around the world alot but really, words like fitmesh, omega appliers, slink, and lola are just confuzzling and in action, useless and I don't know how even playing with everything I can't even get ONE thing to work....

Chances are that avi isn't compatible with any of the suppliers for any of the skins. You have to have either specific suppliers for it or Omega compatibility, a universal applied system. You might be able to wear mesh clothing but you'll have a problem if this Abu is mesh.

If it's a standard avi,you don't need suppliers for a skin,just wear it. Same for system clothes. You add mesh clothing but you'll need to wear the alphas that come with the clothes. The alphas look like a transparent T-shirt in the clothing folder. 

If I were you, I'd stick with the standard avi rather than dealing with a mesh body until you learn your way around.

Sporianna wrote:

I've been trying EVERYTHING I could do without spending a buttload

I've been around the world alot but really, words like fitmesh, omega appliers, slink, and lola are just confuzzling and in action, useless and I don't know how even playing with everything I can't even get ONE thing to work....

if really want help from others i would calm down your tone a bit, when somebdoy explains that this is a resident forum and it can take while before you get answer it is only to help you.

You didn't try EVERYTHING because even accountsolder than mine , in a few days 9 years, did not try EVERYTHING. You only don't know where to find it, and you not even know how to go around on sl.

A start on SL isn't easy, you have learn a lot and fast before you know your way and find the look you want.

From free starterkits you can't expect a lot.. It's the same as in RL, free things can be fun, but most are just bad, and a few a bit helpfull but only to get you buy the full product.

Words you don't know... well there we have the solution for. use search or google, and all will get clear.

At top of this page you see Knowledge base ...click there, start reading ....

If you can post a picture, it says more than a thousand words. I am not sure how basic advice I should give you, but I think what confuses you is the talk about appliers and mesh, like this is what newcomers MUST do and learn.

You hear about Lola. Maitreya, appliers and whatnot, but these mesh body parts in not necessary to use, and they take more work than using your default avatar.

You can watch this Youtube video.

It is from 2014, so some of the items like hair and skin may be discontinued or taken down. If you like the original skin and shape, you have just move over those parts of the video. The skins on starter avatars look much better in 2015. About 15-17 minutes in, she is in a sandbox and packs up the stuff she got, wears new skin, clothes, hair and I hope the video will give you some answers. I haven't had on sound, but the images themselves is quite good.

EBM5555 wrote:

Jezzzzzus you enjoyed setting the OP straight. That was long winded. good thing you added in some Or it would have seemed harsh. Good day

Oh baloney. Tari was perfectly politely informative. She gave the most helpful advice possible. 

Sporianna wrote:

Sorry for impatience, I've just been losing my mind over the past few days because I've been trying EVERYTHING I could do without spending a buttload by using a free columbia avatar kit...somehow even starting with a "new skin" isn't even doing anything.

What rank and title? There is no such thing in SL, and no one here has mentioned anything like that, much less been picky about it.

I put together a little picture that shows some steps to changing into a mesh avatar. It doesn't include all the things one can do with mesh but you can see at which point certain things can be done. Here is the post link.

https://community.secondlife.com/t5/Your-Avatar/Steps-to-changing-your-avatar-from-starter-to-mesh-clothing/m-p/2953459

This may not be the advice you are looking for, but you do have to be on land that allows scripts to run in order for HUDs to work.  Look at the bar at the top that has the address you are located.  At the far right are some little icons.  If there is an icon that looks like a piece of notebook paper with a little red circle by it, then scripts are not allowed to run where you are.  Try finding a sandbox or other land that allows scripts and try your HUDs again.

Good Luck!

Fortunately, the awful "mesh" avis that SL had are no longer the default avis for new residents. Though I've not checked them all out,, the skins for them that I have no longer have the baked on underwear and are actually pretty nice to get started with. Between the clothes/hair/skin, you won't be marked as a new resident immediately with them.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3046 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.