Very Livid...Someone hacked my account

LordHappycat

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3106 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Okay, so, some asshat decided to be a dick and hack into either my account or my lover's account. Both accounts had my credit card on it.

Made $45 of unauthorized transactions to my account, bought the linden and presuambly emptied it into their account once they got it.

I'm livid at the moment so I'm not in the mood for smartass comments, lectures and the sort. I want one thing right now and for this to be settled.

I went to this forum because apparently there isn't a help forum made on this that I know of.

My bank has been notified, the suspected user has been reported, Linden Labs has been contacted and I'm finding pieces of evidence that links to the purpetrator. I want my money back. I've lost out $45 in total IRL money just so someone could buy back their little stupid items, funnel it over to an account they knowingly have access to and make it seem like my lover did it.

I have strong suspicions as to whom, they've been reported, I hope to hear back from my bank tomorrow and vice versa.

Here's the evidence of logs from transactions between both targeted accounts.

http://i.imgur.com/qq9hdaV.png

http://imgur.com/a/Jv4bh

If anyone knows a direct e-mail or so to LL to contact, please give it to me. I've tried to figure out what's their contact but of course, they've made it into a maze.

Bank notified, LL reported to (well I think anyways, their sales address or what have you), 2 suspicious accounts reported for fraud/hacking.

Ok well "hacking" in the context of SL is nearly always someone clicking on a phishing link to a fake Marketplace store.  The problem that you have is that you have your credit card details on an account that is not yours.  Asking the other person "did you click on a link?" and you can bet that the answer will be "No" regardless.

Other options could be guessing your or her password (unlikely)

One of you compromising your own password (VERY likely as above)

Session hijack using a targetted attack (very unlikely)

Out of interest, is this an SL or a RL girlfriend?

Mr Mot-so-Happy-at-the-moment-cat,

We are all residents here like yourself.  A Linden will stop by here very rarely and moderators only  read this section when a post has been reported.  We can sympathize and give advice but we can not solve your problem.

If you have not opened a support ticket yet like Sassy suggested, please do so. 

45 bucks seems like an odd amount to take.  Most of the time a thief would take it all.  If it were me I would start with buying US$250 worth of L$ at a time until I hit the monthly limit and then move over to the MP and spend until the card is declined.

The only place you can go to is technical support (filing a ticket or live chat if you are premium member).  Linden staff do not read these forum.

In future, you can ensure that both you and your gf use strong passwords (and different passwords from each other) and avoid phishing scams.  You each can control your own behavior but you cannot control each others' behavior so you might consider using separate credit cards just to keep life simple.

Here are some valuable learnings about this situation:

1) Never use your CC or Debit Card on a GF's account - PERIOD!

2) Never use your CC or Debit Card on a GF's account. Especially one you have not met and know all the details of in Real Life.

3) Read Number 1 - repeat as needed.

I trust you have removed your CC form your GF's account or canceled it and been issued a new CC.

Trusting another with your financial information or unrestricted access to a CC owned by you is idiotic. You need to be married in real life to even think about going there IMHO.

Unless LL is able to freeze the guilty parties account and retrieve the money from them or trace where it went within SL, you will not be getting it back.  If the guilty person cashed it out there is nothing LL can do.

I am sorry this happened to you, and will not lecture you on security.  However per TOS , LL is not liable to pay it back to you as you are responsible for keeping your password and cc info secure. 

Your only route for recovery of the funds if they were cashed out is to sue the guilty person in RL court, which is going to cost you a lot more than $45.00, or your credit card company is willing to eat it. 

Rhonda Huntress

"Mr Mot-so-Happy-at-the-moment-cat,

We are all residents here like yourself.  A Linden will stop by here very rarely and moderators only  read this section when a post has been reported.  We can sympathize and give advice but we can not solve your problem.

If you have not opened a support ticket yet like Sassy suggested, please do so. 

45 bucks seems like an odd amount to take.  Most of the time a thief would take it all.  If it were me I would start with buying US$250 worth of L$ at a time until I hit the monthly limit and then move over to the MP and spend until the card is declined."

I didn't come here with the expectation that a linden was going to be here on the double, just that I came here basically because I couldn't find a help forum. As well at the time figure out how to make those tickets.

Sympathy and advice is good enough, really, so thanks though. A support ticket has been opened and the matter resolved actually rather fast than I had expected. $45 isn't really odd, because, my checking had $46 left in it, so I suspected that had more money been in there, more would have been used up probably. Geez, I could only imagine how bad it'd be if I had all $106 in there.

Venus Petrov -

"The only place you can go to is technical support (filing a ticket or live chat if you are premium member).  Linden staff do not read these forum.

In future, you can ensure that both you and your gf use strong passwords (and different passwords from each other) and avoid phishing scams.  You each can control your own behavior but you cannot control each others' behavior so you might consider using separate credit cards just to keep life simple."

Done. Also, to clarify, that the gf is not a gf, it's a bf. :P I've actually taken methods to hammer it into him that he should watch who he trusts and take extensive methods to prevent such ocurrences on happening again. Just as I have.

KarenMichelle Lane

"Here are some valuable learnings about this situation:

1) Never use your CC or Debit Card on a GF's account - PERIOD!

2) Never use your CC or Debit Card on a GF's account. Especially one you have not met and know all the details of in Real Life.

3) Read Number 1 - repeat as needed."

Yeah, I've been told of the ToS violation and all that. I'm aware really. What I didn't expect though was this unstable ex-friend of his to keep drama alive and still try to take jabs at my bf over petty matters. But, I still hold my bf responsible for not locking down his information from this ex-friend while I already know my responsibilities.

Amethyst Jetaime

"Unless LL is able to freeze the guilty parties account and retrieve the money from them or trace where it went within SL, you will not be getting it back.  If the guilty person cashed it out there is nothing LL can do.

I am sorry this happened to you, and will not lecture you on security.  However per TOS , LL is not liable to pay it back to you as you are responsible for keeping your password and cc info secure. 

Your only route for recovery of the funds if they were cashed out is to sue the guilty person in RL court, which is going to cost you a lot more than $45.00, or your credit card company is willing to eat it. "

I haven't been notified if those accounts I've reported were dealt with or not, though I'm not really going to pry and pursue for that info. I've given LL over 3 screenshots that covered transactions that happened through my account and my bf's account as well as e-mails detailing the transactions.

I'm not really sure if I should say this in regards to the second thing you've said about LL not being liable to pay it back. But, I've been made a rare exception, which something took me by surprise. However, I will say with complete understanding that this is something not to expect to happen again if such a similar experience happens again. I'd also advise people not to take it for granted and expect it to immediately happen for them in similar cases.

Suing was indeed out of the question and yeah I know that it's hundreds to possibly thousands to fish for that 45, which wouldn't have been worth it at all. Right now I'm actually trying to talk to my bank and saying the matter has been resolved, but I'm expecting a phone call now from a department of theirs that handles this thing so I can clarify to them.

All in all though, I'm glad that the matter has been dealt with, LL has basically warned me and gave me a fitting lecture to add to this. I also hope that I directed LL's attention to those infringing accounts because they've been also used for copybotting. Copying other items usually without permission of the vendors.

Other than all of that, thanks to all that have given good advises and whatnot. I've been on hold for a whole day which is why I couldn't respond. But, now I have obviously.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3106 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.