PIC: The Next Generation

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4756 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

It is time that we PICards start a new analogy.  One that is independent from any other 'entity' basking in it's fading glory.  This one will more closely reflect our spirit and intent.

Since we already have a 'Prime Directive' :

(this forum) should become a place where people can confidently play and disagree without being disagreeable. We seek to recruit more kindred spirits to make coherent arguments regarding the conduct of the forums to Lexie and her Mods. If we are successful then I am sure that we will be able to enjoy ourselves and develop the interest of lurkers and new joiners in participating confidently and comfortably.

I propose that we embellish the Star Trek analogy with some new visuals.  I propose that we use the USS Enterprise crew metaphorically to emphasize the POSITIVE of posting constructively, yet retaining enough of a sense of humor to keep people interested in reading and posting to the forums.  Those supportive of this can add the image to their badge.  No pressure, just fun.

As we have the attention of the Moderator Team, we need to continue to demonstrate our support of the type of forum we, as residents, and they, as staff of LL, can work with and sustain for the benefit of everyone who wants the same.

I am open to all suggestions; I was thinking a PICard rank image: a bald, sexy one for males, Deanna Troi deep cleavage for female - and redshirts for disposable alts.  I am not sure how create these images, or if they would be effective; like I said, I am open to all suggestions. 

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some years ago, while studying Expert Systems and Heuristic algorithms, I stumbled across a story of a developer that inadvertantly discovered a truly remarkable feature of automated voting populations. (Essentially 100's or 1000's of independent programs that each look at the input then "vote" one way or another based on their particular attributes.)

He planned on having each member of the population ranked 0 through 5, with the value reflecting their accuracy in previous votes. Due to a small oversight, the rank was allowed to go negative. Although this was essentially a "bug" as it did not fit his design, he didn't notice it for some time and his system was performing amazingly well.

Then one day he spotted the bug, fixed it .. and immediately the new systems failed horribly at learning and voting correctly. He replaced the "bug" and once again the system began performing to its old fantastic levels.

The lesson I took away from that is this:

Systems based on wholly positive feedback and content fail, whereas systems based on balanced feedback with balanced ranges of input perform well.

While I do understand the desire to have positive outcomes to conversations here, I think limiting the input to only positives will inevitably doom the result to less than reliable or less than accurately representative of the Community as a whole.

Venus Petrov wrote:

It is time that we PICards start a new analogy.  One that is independent from any other 'entity' basking in it's fading glory.  This one will more closely reflect our spirit and intent.

Since we already have a 'Prime Directive' :

(this forum) should become a place where people can confidently play and disagree without being disagreeable. We seek to recruit more kindred spirits to make coherent arguments regarding the conduct of the forums to Lexie and her Mods. If we are successful then I am sure that we will be able to enjoy ourselves and develop the interest of lurkers and new joiners in participating confidently and comfortably.

I propose that we embellish the Star Trek analogy with some new visuals.  I propose that we use the USS Enterprise crew metaphorically to emphasize the POSITIVE of posting constructively, yet retaining enough of a sense of humor to keep people interested in reading and posting to the forums.  Those supportive of this can add the image to their badge.  No pressure, just fun.

As we have the attention of the Moderator Team, we need to continue to demonstrate our support of the type of forum we, as residents, and they, as staff of LL, can work with and sustain for the benefit of everyone who wants the same.

I am open to all suggestions; I was thinking a PICard rank image: a bald, sexy one for males, Deanna Troi deep cleavage for female - and redshirts for disposable alts.  I am not sure how create these images, or if they would be effective; like I said, I am open to all suggestions. 

I won't be taking part for two simple reasons:

1. I think it's not neccessary to have some form of organised entity to share a viewpoint with LL and moderators. We all have channels to do that already. I may well be sharing similar viewpoints as your directive at things such as the Community Tools User Group and in the Feedback forums, and I would encourage others to do the same if they have an opinion they want to expres too. 

2. I think such an organised entity (even with good intentions) might suffer from exacerbating the problem by appearing to want to force a particular viewpoint on others (even if that is not it's intention). I'd much rather actually 'play and disagree without being disagreeable' and see others do the same rather than have to have yet another 'label' to identify me as such.

:)

Venus Petrov wrote:

@Darrius:  I may not have been clear, but I am not suggesting all posts be positive.  Rather, I suggest we can disagree without being disagreeable, we can be constuctive without being destructive. 

Now THAT .. I can agree with. (But I look horrible in red .. serious. Got anything in a deep blue?)

PIC, FIC, SIC..?

I am offline (well, sort of) for a week and already completely lost in here and what this is all about (and referring to Star Trek makes it even worse, as I have no clue about that either).

I suppose it's something positive, so let me say: good luck, good bye, take care and maybe see you again !

Caitlin Tobias wrote:

PIC, FIC, SIC..?

I am offline (well, sort of) for a week and already completely lost in here and what this is all about (and referring to Star Trek makes it even worse, as I have no clue about that either).

I suppose it's something positive, so let me say: good luck, good bye, take care and maybe see you again !

You forgot RIC. :smileysurprised:

@ Venus 

Sounds logical. But...

I think you are thinking of TOS colors see picture. 

RankSpock.jpg

star-trek-tng1.jpg

Then why is a title needed... it seems to me that these new forums will again become to me what the old ones were, something to read when bored at work, and not really care to participate. They already seem to be even more restrictive then the old ones. I had hoped with the new ones, but no, and I will stop here.

Fenn MacMoragh wrote:

So... are PIcs the new elitist group... well, time to start another elitest group HIIC's where stand for Heck If I Care... use the forum, do you really need a tag title or some other thing to make you feel empowered. 

BAH

PICards are all of us.  No elitism.  When you post to this forum you are a PICard - whether you 'care' or not.

It is too bad you didn't read the 'prime directive' you would not have added your elitist comment.  

Yes, it is the responsibility of all PICards to empower each other, and without distinction.   

Fenn MacMoragh wrote:

Then why is a title needed... it seems to me that these new forums will again become to me what the old ones were, something to read when bored at work,
and not really care to participate
. They already seem to be even more restrictive then the old ones. I had hoped with the new ones, but no, and I will stop here.

What is it you would like to read in these forums that would enable you to 'care' about participating?  What can change that would change you?

Storm Clarence wrote:

PICards are all of us.  No elitism.  When you post to this forum you are a PICard - whether you 'care' or not.

It is too bad you didn't read the 'prime directive' you would not have added your elitist comment.  

Yes, it is the responsibility of all PICards to empower each other, and without distinction.   

Ahhh... so it is also your responsibility to demean and insult other people and their posts as I have seen you do in other threads. 

@Venus: While I admire the aims of the PIC, I have to tell you that I am opposed to badges.  We don't need no stinkin badges!  Seriously what would be the purpose for having a badge?  Would it imply some kind of authority?  I don't like Ranks and I don't like Badges.  What I think and say either stands on it's own or not and no stinkin badge should make any difference.

eta to add an s to stand to fix grammatical error

Fenn MacMoragh wrote:

Storm Clarence wrote:

Ahhh... so it is also your responsibility to demean and insult other people and their posts as I have seen you do in other threads. 

I am not sure I am following you Fenn.  Did I demean [sic] you at any time? I have over 3K posts to this forum and I do not recall demeaning any person, race, group, or entity.  Do you care to expand on your comment?

Fenn MacMoragh wrote:

So... are PIcs the new elitist group... well, time to start another elitest group HIIC's where stand for Heck If I Care... use the forum, do you really need a tag title or some other thing to make you feel empowered. 

BAH

What in the PD (Prime Directive) sounds elitist to you?  Is there anything in it that resonates with you?  We are having fun, here.  Can you support fun?

Venus Petrov wrote:

Ohh my!  She rocks!

ETA:  Keli how does she look on my badge?

Looking good! I made one without the white around it but I can't figure out how to get it to you. This won't let me add attachments. I'll check to see if PMs will. :)

ETA: Nope. No attachments on this new system. :(

kattatonia Wickentower wrote:

Venus Petrov wrote:

@Katt:  No worries, the badge idea is just fun, voluntary and stuff.  You are still a PIC!

I take it all back, if the badges are going to be that adorable, then I want one too.

@Keli, can I have a copy too please?

eta added an extra o to to to make it too

Of coarse you can. :)

I just wished I could figure out how to get you the PNG so that it will be transparent. :smileysurprised:

kattatonia Wickentower wrote:

Well, I am very new at this photoshopping but I saved the image and brought it in to PS.  Now I think I just need to use the little lassoo tool to cut away the white part, right?  But how do I make a transparent layer?

Make sure that what you are looking at is transparent like you want it. Then save it as a PNG and that should work. :)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4756 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.