Where can 'fun' threads be posted?

Venus Petrov

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2530 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I imagine it depends on your definition of fun and what fun thing you are talking about really :)

If you are writing a 'fun' thread about something that happened to you while out at a fun concert inworld, then the 'Entertainment' section would probably be ok. If you are wrting about something more general such as a topic of "What's the funniest thing you have ever seen in SL?" then the off topic section is probably best.

I've seen it said that the more structured nature of these forums resticts 'fun' but I certainly don't think that's true at all. It's perfectly possible to have fun in context and without breaking the community guidelines. It's just that some people think it's fun to break those guidelines and, when they are prevented fom doing so, they interpret that as not being allowed to have fun.

I also don't think LL themselves have any intention of restricting fun where it is within the bounds of the guidelines. Try telling Torley, for example, not to have some fun! :smileyvery-happy:

It's all about balance as I see it and I think the wonderful quote from Maddy aptly sums up the way I use, and will always use, forums:

"Hopping from loony chat to deep philosophy is not schizophrenic. It's mental agility at its best. - © Madelaine McMasters"

:smileytongue:

• Like 1

Suella Ember wrote:<Snipped to pieces>

I imagine it depends on your definition of fun and what fun thing you are talking about really
:)

It's all about balance as I see it and I think the wonderful quote from Maddy aptly sums up the way I use, and will always use, forums:

"Hopping from loony chat to deep philosophy is not schizophrenic. It's mental agility at its best. - © Madelaine McMasters"

:smileytongue:

*Shrugs - if you say so - I'm still not convinced. Maybe I just have a wierd idea of fun - and no - I don't mean the 'nasty' sort - more a sort of... serendipitous sort of thing.

Anyway Happy St. Patricks day etc :smileyhappy:

Mags Indigo wrote:

serendipitous 

Big words no fun! Hurt brain!

Mags Indigo wrote:

Anyway Happy St. Patricks day etc :smileyhappy:

And to you too! Speaking of which, I really ought to go inworld to package up the St Paddy's Day costume I made and list it on the Marketplace, but I really don't have the energy! (Plus packaging and listing is no fun!)

Venus Petrov wrote:

There was a thread posted that several of us posted to yesterday about a date with Lexie Linden.  It is gone now.  I do not know why.  It was fun.  I want to have more fun.

Somehow I never thought that one would survive :smileyhappy:

I am not sure fun threads fit into LL's new vision of the forums.  Pity.  But now that we are LL's new outsourced customer support, we shouldn't be gabbing when we should be working.

Back to the answers fourm or no kudos for you!  (cracks whip).

(edited to change "help forum" to "answers forum" )

Mags Indigo wrote:

Venus Petrov wrote:

There was a thread posted that several of us posted to yesterday about a date with Lexie Linden.  It is gone now.  I do not know why.  It was fun.  I want to have more fun.

Somehow I never thought that one would survive :smileyhappy:

Why Mags?  The thread was never offered to offend anyone.  It was SL related.  It had a touch of humor.  If all we can create are vanity threads - I'm out.

Happy St. Patrick's Day.  Break a leg tonight. 

Storm Clarence wrote:

Why Mags?  The thread was never offered to offend anyone.  It was SL related.  It had a touch of humor.  If all we can create are vanity threads - I'm out.

Firstly I thought some people might take exception to it's frivilous nature and perhaps make a case (or try to) that the people participating in it were either 'brownnosing' or 'insulting' - depending on their humour.

As for tonight - thanks I think (I don't have to actually break a leg do I? I'm notmuch of a one for pain)

@Mags:  I could make an argument that some vanity threads might be brown-nosing to content creators but that argument would be ridiculous.

What is insulting to me are patently personal insults.  There are none in the Lexie thread.  YAY for humor!

ETA:  Mags, I know you are not arguing the point you raise.

Mags Indigo wrote:

Storm Clarence wrote:

Firstly I thought some people might take exception to it's frivilous nature and perhaps make a case (or try to) that the people participating in it were either 'brownnosing' or 'insulting' - depending on their humour.

As for tonight - thanks I think (I don't have to actually break a leg do I? I'm notmuch of a one for pain)

No, you don't really have to, but in 'show biz' it's the appropriate statement.  

PS Most people that participate in this forum want humor, answers, and a sense of belonging.  The people that try to make a case for brown-nosing use their blogs as weapons:

This

Should we be afraid of people like this? Or should we participate in this forum and have fun and laugh at ourselves. 

Venus Petrov wrote:

@Mags:  I could make an argument that some vanity threads might be brown-nosing to content creators but that argument would be ridiculous.

What is insulting to me are patently personal insults.  There are none in the Lexie thread.  YAY for humor!

ETA:  Mags, I know you are not arguing the point you raise.

Nope - seeing as I took part in it and 'outed' myself as having a crush on Torley :smileysurprised:

Storm Clarence wrote:

PS Most people that participate in this forum want humor, answers, and a sense of belonging.  The people that try to make a case for brown-nosing use their blogs as weapons:

Should we be afraid of people like this? Or should we participate in this forum and have fun and laugh at ourselves. 

I probably shouldn't get into this minefield, but I have to say there is a very large dose of irony in that link! It seems that one of the strongest advocates of action being taken against people who abuse the reporting process is angry having been shown that abuse of the reporting process is now being actioned! :smileysurprised:

Suella Ember wrote:

Storm Clarence wrote:

I probably shouldn't get into this minefield, but I have to say there is a very large dose of irony in that link! It seems that one of the strongest advocates of action being taken against people who abuse the reporting process is angry having been shown that abuse of the reporting process is now being actioned! :smileysurprised:

It is never a minefield to step in and offer an opinion.  We are not fools - and few blog posts will not convince me we are.  The minefield you allude to is created by a very few and select people.  These people do *NOT* speak for me or this forum.

ETA Welcome back, Suella!

• 6 years later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2530 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.