Did upgrading to Windows 10 screw anyone else's SL up?

Myndica

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3173 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Ran alright under Windows 7.  Not perfect, but alright.  Like many others, I upgraded to Windows 10.  I did NOT make ANY other changes to my system.. but now all of a sudden whenever I click on the SL viewer icon, it starts to load up then stops and gives me the error message that  "Second Life is unable to run because your video card drivers did not install properly, are out of date, or are for unsupported hardware.  Please make sure that you have the latest video card drivers, and even if you do  have the latest, try reinstalling them.  If you continue to receive this message, contact the Second Life Support Portal."

I checked the video card drivers, they are the latest available version.  I even tried reinstalling, but it's still a no-go.

SERIOUSLY thinking of trying to remove Windows 10 and reverting back to Windows 7, but I've been hearing horror stories from others who've tried to revert back to their previous versions.  Seems MS is being a bit......"testy"...and unwilling to do much of anything except rest on their laurels ...

9 answers to this question

two things: this isnt the place to start a rant about windows 10

and second, if you know how to use google you will find out that there are several solutions to help you with the problem you have, because it's computer related and has nothing to do with anything here.

At every upgrade i'ts recommended to make a back up to go back to the original state. I'm sure you did that.

Welcome to Second Life Answers, Myndica

How very frustrating.

The only advice I can offer you is to revert back to Windows 7 for now.  I am very skeptical about this so-called "upgrade" to Windows 10, and was talking with a chap recently who works in a school as their technical manager. He advised me to take my laptop up from Windows 8 to Windows 8.1, but to wait until Windows 10 has been "bedded in" by other people - and certainly would not advise changing from Windows 7, which he says has been the best operating system since Windows XP.

Stick around this thread though, as hopefully there will be a few other options offered to you. 

• Like 1

First off, try and update your Video Drivers AT THE OEM WEBSITE (Nvidia, etc.) I know that Nvidia had a whole new Driver suite for Win10, that Windows did not load.

Second, If you are still having troubles, try running your Viewer in Compatibility mode (rt-click the icon, choose Advanced, and choose "Compatibility" for Win-7)

Hope this helps!

• Like 1

DO NOT try to revert back to Windows 7.  Even if you made a full backup of your system, Microsoft has thrown a monkey wrench into the machinery.

You see, you have a license for the OS on your system.  When you accepted the "free upgrade" to Windows 10, you did not get a new license.  Your old version of Windows 7 is now no longer registered with MS, and even if you reinstall it from the original media, MS won't accept the product key code.  Your license is now for Windows 10, not Win 7.

This makes sense from MS's point of view.  They don't want people using their old copy of Win 7 on another machine, or selling it on the used market.  They issued you one license, and you still have one license.  Not two.

Your only choices at this point are 1) find a video driver that works and that SL will accept (preferable) or 2) go buy another copy of Windows 7.

• Like 1

Whenever you upgrade your operating system, you can expect a period of readjustment until you have installed all of the new drivers and done the inevitable bits of fine tuning to make your favorite programs comfortable with the new system.  It's frustrating but it's the way life with computers works.  I've been watching it for a very long time.  The best I can say is that we have a much easier time of it today than we did 30 years ago.  I know, that's a small consolation.........

The Firestorm support team has put together a very nice summary of ways to deal with the most common problems people are having with SL viewers after upgrading to Windows 10.  You'll find it at http://wiki.phoenixviewer.com/win10 .  Take a look.

• Like 1

Lindal, this actually is fully supported. You just use the built in Windows 10 Roll-back to the original PC configuration. The license is de-registered and the PC will be back as the original Windows 7 configuration. This issue you cite happens if the client choses to do a hard drive restore from a backup without using the built in windows 10 System back out.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3173 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.