Some kind of ... stalking? please help me clarify!

Solidea82

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3181 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

hi all! First of all I have to say English is not my mother language, then forgive me in advance for my mistakes.

I'm new to SL and very enthusiastic and I'm meeting a lot of people.

Some days ago I rented a house with a friend of mine: we share the rent and, of course, our names appear on the rent box outside the house. I haven't told anybody I rented that place and never shared the coordinates with anybody. I'm sure my roomate neither; he don't even know the people I know and that's for sure.

Well, a "I-thought-he-were"  friend of mine yesterday sent me the pic of the rental box with our names on!!

I dunno how he could have reached the house!!

Do you know if is there a way somebody can track my tps or something like that?

I'm a bit annoyed about it. Already put him in the black list of my security system, but, you know, now it's already late..

Please help me clarify the situation and tell me which mistakes I could have done in SL to allow him to find my location, in order not to repeat them anymore.

Thank you in advance for your answer.

Sol

maybe you have your house on your picks, or the group you are renting from, visible in your profile. he must have seen in your profile where you live.

if you blacklisted him, then there's probably no danger that he will enter, you can mute this person also, if the interaction bothers you.

It's possible that your stalker is using social hacking to figure out where you rented. They could be masquerading as a friend or as a friend of your room mate. The hacker could even be your room mate. You may have not told anyone your coordinates but you may have said something that could give the stalker a clue as to where you are or your room mate may have blabbed. Honestly, once you involve on other person in on a secret, there really is no way to make sure that the other person hasn't done something to compromise the secret.

Also, if you like to meet people you should be glad that your friends know where you live. The more the merrier right?

Solidea82 wrote:

oh my! i didn't even know i had it!! thank you... as you can see, I'm a suer noob!
:)

Don't overlook the other rookie mistake of assuming someone in a virtual world was a friend in any real sense. The terms Friend and Source-of-entertainment-that-I-really-don't-give-a-crap-about-in-real-life are used interchangeably here.

Solidea82 wrote:

[...] Well, a "I-thought-he-were"  friend of mine yesterday sent me the pic of the rental box with our names on!!

[...]

I'm a bit annoyed about it. Already put him in the black list of my security system, but, you know, now it's already late..

So some guy notices a new item on a friend's profile, sends a little snapshot to celebrate the news, and ends up banned on suspicion of stalking. I swear, now in its twilight, SL has become the most anti-social network ever.

Qie Niangao wrote:

Solidea82 wrote:

[...] Well, a "I-thought-he-were"  friend of mine yesterday sent me the pic of the rental box with our names on!!

[...]

So some guy notices a new item on a friend's profile, sends a little snapshot to celebrate the news, and ends up banned on suspicion of stalking. I swear, now in its twilight, SL has become the most
anti-
social network ever.

If I didn't have proof that the gubment has put listening devices in my anti-psych meds, I'd be taking them and then you wouldn't worry me with all the conspiracy theories. I'd have time to worry about the REAL issues, like Aliens and the use of radioactive tracing compounds in M&M's .. so they know who is eating more than their fair share of candy coatings.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3181 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.