Have the kids made any difference in SL?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4791 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Heart Brimmer wrote:

Not that I have noticed. But, I mainly stay on Mature land so IF I have encountered any, they kept their mouths shut. LOL.

Heart

Me too Heart - but there were so many predictions of doom...

Mind you - I still think it was a bad move by LL and the sanitization of the forums stands as testament to that. I really do believe that SL/LL had a far more lucrative future gearing itself to adults - especially those with a bit of time on their hands and money in their pockets and willing to 'play' again with fantasies of being young or whatever.

Mags Indigo wrote:

Mind you - I still think it was a bad move by LL and the sanitization of the forums stands as testament to that. I really do believe that SL/LL had a far more lucrative future gearing itself to adults - especially those with a bit of time on their hands and money in their pockets and willing to 'play' again with fantasies of being young or whatever.

As I wrote before in the old GD when some people were freaking out, it is much ado about nothing, at least inworld.  I spend most of my time on M-rated sims and would not come into contact with any of the 300+ teens who transferred over.  Now, mind you, there are a whole bunch of teens who were already on the MG.

I wholeheartedly agree with your comment about the sanitization of the forums.  The reason an Off Topic forum was requested (and an Adult-only forum) was so that we adults could discuss, argue, etc without soiling the G-rating face that LL want to project.  Moderation in Off Topic should be with a lighter hand.  That some have had hands tapped for posting off topic in and Off Topic thread is ridiculous.

Yes, it's made a difference. Not a big deal, but a few times in conversations it's become obvious that I'm talking to someone who is my daughter's age.  I'm not generalizing now... just talking about the teens I've met, but they have short attention spans, and tend to run all over the place, to ask questions and ignore the answers, etc.

It's fun, but it's tiring, just like real life, and it makes me feel my age.

As far as the forums are concerned, it had a deadening effect. Now that we have to be overly cautious in our language... and adult topics are absolutely off limits, it does make these forums passe.

Venus Petrov wrote:

As I wrote before in the old GD when some people were freaking out, it is much ado about nothing, at least inworld.  I spend most of my time on M-rated sims and would not come into contact with any of the 300+ teens who transferred over.  Now, mind you, there are a whole bunch of teens who were already on the MG.

I wholeheartedly agree with your comment about the sanitization of the forums.  The reason an Off Topic forum was requested (and an Adult-only forum) was so that we adults could discuss, argue, etc without soiling the G-rating face that LL want to project.  Moderation in Off Topic should be with a lighter hand.  That some have had hands tapped for posting off topic in and Off Topic thread is ridiculous.

I think we all hoped an 'Off Topic' Forum would become something akin to the old GD but without the bitterness - it was not to be. Off Topic still has to be directly about SL, but might not fit easily under any other heading - it also has to remain totally within a 'G' rating. Like I keep saying - I can understand marketing strategies but it's a shame that the ability to debate and argue without feeling like we're back at school now seems to be a thing of the past.

Ossian wrote:

Yes, it's made a difference. Not a big deal, but a few times in conversations it's become obvious that I'm talking to someone who is my daughter's age.  I'm
not
generalizing now... just talking about the teens I've met, but they have short attention spans, and tend to run all over the place, to ask questions and ignore the answers, etc.

It's fun, but it's tiring, just like real life, and it makes me feel my age.

I'm not sure I've actually met any as yet as I tend not to go to 'G' regions much. I'd definitely feel like their Gran :smileyhappy:

Oh yes... also I find I'm more cautious inworld -- even more than in the forums. For instance, one of the teens invited me to a club. I declined, but I also wanted to say, "Are you sure you should be there?"

If you think that the presence of teens has deadened the forums, see how it is inworld when they're around.  I sort of put a cobble on my tongue.

It's not that I'm worried about the kids themselves... it's that litigious parents can latch on to the flimsiest pretext. So, no, I won't accept a tp invite from a teen without knowing quite clearly where I'm going.  When there's a teen around, I try to stay aware of what's going on around, and I find I shift into the same mentality as when I'm helping at my daughter's school.

Only one disagreeable thing happened: There was one teen I ran into, who gave me the odd impression that it was an adult pretending to be a teen.  This was at a social place, a hangout, not any sort of club or scene, by the way.

Venus Petrov wrote:

Moderation in Off Topic should be with a lighter hand.  That some have had hands tapped for posting off topic in and Off Topic thread is ridiculous.

Just curious, why do you support people posting in off-topic to circumvent the CPG?

I don't think anyone should receive preferential treatment based on which sub-forum they participate in.

Suspiria wrote:

Just curious, why do you support people posting in off-topic to circumvent the CPG?

I don't think anyone should receive preferential treatment based on which sub-forum they participate in.

I'm not sure it can be considered 'preferential' if everyone can access it if they wish. Preferential would donate that there were restrictions on who would benefit from any lighter moderation. Choosing not to post in the Off Topic forum is not a restriction - it's a choice.

Of course - I could always be wrong :smileyindifferent:

Lyra Blackthorne wrote:

Yes and no...LL's reaction to teens has created lots of impact

But, the teens themselves no...they are so few it isnt really even a big enough pool to warrant marketing to specificly

I do wonder why LL turned the world so upside down (and I mean everything from forums to bringing the teen grid online) for a few kids. I really think they must have thought they were going to get a huge influx of new teen members/residents. The problem is that youngsters like to interact on the move with phones and iPads etc and SL is too 'bulky' for that. To me it has always seemed apparent that SL appeals more to those who for one reason or another find themselves at a desktop computer - either because they work at one or use it as a 'social tool'. (I use mine instead of TV). That's not to say some younger people wouldn't always be attracted but I do think LL might have had more success by aiming at the 30+ market (stay at home parents and people who don't have the opportunity to go out a lot due to children etc) or even 'silver surfers' who have the time, spare cash and would really fancy the opportunity to lose themselves in a fantasy world while enlarging their social network at the same time.

I'm pretty much on the mature/moderate lands, so I don't normally see teens.  I don't do much cursing in SL, except when the blasted sim is lagging and the build tools are being a pain.. but I'm on a moderate sim, so...   Also, honestly?  Teens know the curse words.  I know I said them when the adults weren't around, when I was their age, and I was considered a goody-two-shoes.

I was never all that interested in the adult side of SL, but when I want it, I know I can go and do it.  *shrugs* So, not much has changed for me.

Raudf Fox wrote:

I'm pretty much on the mature/moderate lands, so I don't normally see teens.  I don't do much cursing in SL, except when the blasted sim is lagging and the build tools are being a pain.. but I'm on a moderate sim, so...   Also, honestly?  Teens know the curse words.  I know I said them when the adults weren't around, when I was their age, and I was considered a goody-two-shoes.

I was never all that interested in the adult side of SL, but when I want it, I know I can go and do it.  *shrugs* So, not much has changed for me.

Like you the 'arrival of the teens' had little impact on my SL, any changes seem to be peripheral and to do with the 'marketing philosophy' of SL rather than tangible changes... for now.

Mags Indigo wrote:

Like you the 'arrival of the teens' had little impact on my SL, any changes seem to be peripheral and to do with the 'marketing philosophy' of SL rather than tangible changes... for now.

Yeah, I'm waiting for the other marketing shoe to drop, and it's likely to drop on the adult material... Which means bye-bye SL for me.  When adult material goes, it means adults are no longer welcome.  And if I'm not welcome, neither is my money. 

There are enough SL clones out there now that it might truly be the death of SL.

Suspiria wrote:

Venus Petrov wrote:

Moderation in Off Topic should be with a lighter hand.  That some have had hands tapped for posting off topic in and Off Topic thread is ridiculous.

I do not see the words 'circumvent' or 'preferential' in my statements.  I think, as adults, we should have a place to discuss topics free from roaming teen eyes or visible to the external-to-SL world.  Yes, we should be able to use words that have been **bleeped** out because of the G-rating.  And, it would be totally voluntary to expose oneself to that subforum.  Like choosing a film to view. 

I'll be honest with you. In some of the sims I frequent, they've had kids faking their ages to get in for some time. The fakers are very conspicuous and immature. 

I think the few times I've conversed with a "legit" teen resident, they've been far more mature and articulate.

When Teen Bay City merged with ours, most of the teens promptly sold, so they don't seem to be evident there

Holocluck Henly wrote:

I'll be honest with you. In some of the sims I frequent, they've had kids faking their ages to get in for some time. The fakers are very conspicuous and immature. 

I think the few times I've conversed with a "legit" teen resident, they've been far more mature and articulate.

When Teen Bay City merged with ours, most of the teens promptly sold, so they don't seem to be evident there

For as long as I've been in SL there have been teens there - they just 'lied' about their age on registration. To be honest if I were 16 or 17 now and thinking of joining SL I'd be tempted to do that too rather than go down the legit route. In fact I'd not be surprised if most of our legit teens don't have alt accounts for accessing mature areas anyway. It's all smoke and mirrors as far as I'm concerned.

I feel a wee bit 'jaded' this week I think.

Mags Indigo wrote:

Mind you - I still think it was a bad move by LL and the sanitation of the forums stands as testament to that. I really do believe that SL/LL had a far more lucrative future gearing itself to adults - especially those with a bit of time on their hands and money in their pockets and willing to 'play' again with fantasies of being young or whatever.

I agree completely, Mags, and yes I remember all the doom and gloom that was sure to come, if LL let the kiddies into our playland but it's been what? 3 months now and things inworld seem the same to me. I also agree that SL/LL should not have sanitized the forums and SSL perhaps more people would show an interest. Wasn't the reason they did the sanitation was to get more people inworld? Because if that's the case, they failed miserably starting with the moving of adult themed SIMS to Zindra.

Heart

Edit to add: I also agree that the off topic forum isn't the same as the GD board, although I never posted there much I did enjoy reading them, they were NEVER dull!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4791 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.