Saturday Frippery: Spot colour SL?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3302 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

If your graphics card went wonky and you were stuck with a monochromatic (that's black, white and shades of gray for those of you with hippopotomonstrosesquipedaliophobia - but NOT THAT "Shades of Gray") image with just varying degrees of one hue (I believe that printers call this "spot colour" when they offer it as an option in adverts in those free local papers that nobody reads unless they are really bored, or are featured because they caught the biggest fish in the local lake) which colour would you prefer to have left to you?

I am expecting Instagram enthusiasts to say "sepia", and ladies who lunch to say "pink", but I am with Frank Miller and his "Sin City" illustrations, and Nic Roeg who directed "Don't Look Now" in loving blood red.

I know that some players intentionally equip their avatars with wardrobes of only one hue (most men just go for black on black, as we have discussed at some length in regard to sock selection) so perhaps tell us why you think your choice suits you, or your SL environment, or your monitor.

The more adventurous of you might want to post (vanity) images demonstrating the effectiveness of certain colours.

I am also resurrecting a challenge I made a little while ago to Caity, to provide an image associated with a song, in this case one associated with a colour; rather than "Paint It Black", I would suggest "Green Green Grass Of Home" or even "Mellow Yellow".

PS "Shiny" is NOT a colour.

Something that has always fascinated me is that every AV (and/or alt) takes on their own personality. It is always me behind the screen and at the keyboard). They each have their own character traits and styles. And it does sometimes take years to find their personal styles. And yes, I am getting to the original question of the post... LOL

What color I would want to be left with for my experience in SL would depend on which AV I was in. My main would naturally be red. It is the signature color of her hair. It has been for years.

As for some of my other alts: I have one that would fit in a blue environment. A "white". A couple more "reds". Several "blacks" or maybe sepia. One I would have trouble with because her personality is hippy-ish and colorful.

LlazarusLlong wrote:

I am also resurrecting a challenge I made a little while ago to Caity, to provide an image associated with a song, in this case one associated with a colour; rather than "Paint It Black", I would suggest "Green Green Grass Of Home" or even "Mellow Yellow".

PS "Shiny" is NOT a colour.

Hah. Shiny IS a colour!

Anyway, I would choose Blue. As in Blue Moon, so challenge accepted!

Blue Moon 2.png

(btw: the Moon is fake : Photoshopped into the image, the rest is all SL's windlights and settings. If anyone is interested in what I am wearing, I have the original full size image on my Flickr with all credits)

Ohjiro Watanabe wrote:

I think you mean duotone. Spot color is literally a spot of solid color as in some coloured text or a logo or something. Duotone is printing the black plate and one of the 3 other colour plates out of a 4 colour CMYK set. The colour of the ink that you actually use is up to you.

Maybe the English printers I have worked with were lax in their application of the term. Or maybe they weren't, since the definition I have seen (supported by the often unreliable Wikipedia) is: "a spot color is any color generated by an ink (pure or mixed) that is printed using a single run." which pretty much seems to match your own definition of duotone.

It's pretty irrelevant anyway, since I think my question has been understood thus far.

Caitlin seems to have interpreted it as duotone, or some variation. From the way you referenced Sin City, I took the brief to be "greyscale, but with a splash of colour" (although Sin City on the page is more strictly black and white with splashes of colour).

I could wax lyrical about my love of purples, particularly those deep in hue, tending toward the blue end of the range, and not too gaudy. Colours in the range of Grape and Persian Indigo. I like the richness, and the association with luxury, artifice and ambiguity.

I'm not sure how well those would 'pop' in a grayscale world, so here's one I did earlier, with the traditional red.

sin kelli.png

Oh, sorry I only read the first couple of sentences. Anyway, turns out you can do duotones with spot colour or with the 2 of the 4 colour process plates but they look different

This is spot colour style http://blog.spoongraphics.co.uk/tutorials/how-to-create-a-colorful-fluoro-pop-art-photo-effect

This is 4 colour process style http://jakegarn.com/duotone-tutorial/

Neither of which are actually printed obviously but it gives an idea of the difference.

There are probably other ways to do it but I am harking back to the days when the closest thing we had to a computer was a IBM golfball typewriter.

You learn something every day.

Caitlin Tobias wrote:

Blue Moon 2.png

Thank you Caity! I knew I could rely on you, especially on a Saturday.

My, she IS scary though...did she fail the audition for Game of Thrones because she frightened the rest of the cast?

ETA My daughter - a connoisseur of the genre - thinks she looks like the female form of Marvel's Loki ought to.

Ken....Orange is a good colour for you, warm and  optimistic personality. 

Id be happy with black and white, though it depends on who you talking to, if they think either is a colour. A scientist will give you an answer based on physics, a child about to colour with crayons, has other ideas. Either way, together they are dramatic.

black and white colour.png

Loved the neo-noir movie Sin City.

LlazarusLlong wrote:

Caitlin Tobias wrote:

Thank you Caity! I knew I could rely on you, especially on a Saturday.

My, she IS scary though...did she fail the audition for Game of Thrones because she frightened the rest of the cast?

ETA My daughter - a connoisseur of the genre - thinks she looks like the female form of Marvel's Loki ought to.

Haha, I've been called worse than scary!

I am probably the only person in the world who has never seen Game of Thrones, so I would not know, neither do I know Loki...I guess I am terrible for roleplaying, I just like to dress up !

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3302 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.