I PAID RENT FOR 6WEEKS AND LOST EVERYTHING

XxSarahxX Quintessa

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4772 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I have been renting from e$t@b@n D#ver(name has been edited for my own account safety) for about 2months I logged on today to find the entire sim empty. I lost everything including my home and everything in it. I paid rent in advance for 6 weeks about 5000L does anyone know how i can get my L back he is not answering me at all anyone else renting from him and have this happen??

this is what the land says now"sim was reclaimed because esteban Dover didn't pay tier fee on time.Please contact e$t@b@n D#ver directly if you still have avaiable time on your parcels." what do i do????

XxSarahxX Quintessa

That's awful. And no, you can't get it back, unless you have a lawyer and determination and the willingness to pursue what is a relatively small amount through small claims court, but most small claims courts wouldn't deal with $18 US in a virtual world. So you should put the name out on Twitter, blogs, inworld groups, etc. to warn others.

I can offer you a free 4096 for 4 weeks if you like. IM me inworld. No purchases, just move in. I only rent land, I don't sell it, and I think that's really how it should be done. I also believe in refunds, and I find most landlords in Concierge dealing with islands will not give refunds.

You can always file an AR Abuse Report. I had that happen to me once, but was a much larger sum of 30,000L$.  Thankfully, I knew the manager and got a refund in 3 weeks, to see if the sims were going to be under new ownership...  a total of 30 sims... it never happened.

Good Luck, best to only pay weekly, due to this event, if the manager will not allow, please explain your issue, and maybe work out something.

A friend of mine rents land at Elf Haven & is happy with the sim owners there.They're been in SL for years & are very reliable.

As for replacing your lost property, try to get most of your items free, cheap, or Copyable in the future. You can find tons of free & cheap items on SL marketplace by searching on the kind of item you want & then searching from lowest to highest priced. There are always horror stories about people losing all their inventory or some such fiasco. If you don't spend much money in virtual possessions, you won't worry about losing them.

I wouldn't exactly call it a "lube job" - it's fairly well known that SL staff "generally speaking" avoid getting involved in these types of arguments, and would prefer that us adults worked it out for ourselves.

Unfortunately, there are a few "bad eggs" in the mix, as there will be anywhere - both inside and outside of SL.  In terms of the money lost, unless you can actually get in touch with the person involved and find out what happened, it may just be "lesson learned".  As LL have mentioned, they'll happily assist if it gets progressed to the point of RL law getting involved, however I doubt with the amount of money involved that this will be worth the effort.  It pains me to say it - but sometimes that's just the way the cookie crumbles and all we can really do is feel sympathy.

In terms of the lost inventory, assuming you genuinely can't find it, there may still be grounds for lodging a second ticket for inventory loss.  That's something that could potentially still be sorted.

well i agree with you when i lost the land i was renting  the owner suppose to have sent me back all my stuff i look in lost and found  folder and my club i built was not there plus the dance balls i  did get back did not work,

so not all iterms do not come back and now its happen to me again with esteban Dover i been in and out of hospital not knowing when il be in next time so yes silly me i paid 8 weeks up front so if i was taken in again i wont lose the place i was renting ,

well am sorry to hear thats theres nothing lindens can  do for those who have been conned by land owners who  rent there land off i do find it shocking that suck people like myself and  others who  just rent land can be brushed off to one side by lindens when we all know that lindens can change policy but only when  it suiets themselfs,and  for you to say you can go to your own police its not only dam right stupid cos no  cops in there right mind will listencome on lindens get of the fence and do something about these cons for a start you can banned the person or persons or you can make them sign contracts protecting the people who rents from them but i do think you can only see the dollar signs in your  eyes as long lindens are makeing huge ammount they dont really care about anything els

“caveat emptor” does not apply in this situation as this is not a material item but a virtual one, further, land comes under other laws but again is not covered in virtual world’s (as yet) however, deception is a law that covers both real life and Virtual world's and is therefore enforceable assuming that the propagator was aware that his virtual land would be reposed and therefore acted with deception in taking money he was not entitled to take so acting in a fraudulent manner.  And yes, I do deal with Law :-)

Linden Lab doesn't return anything when they take down an island for non-payment. Besides the fact that mass returns like that often end up with things being permanently lost the point is they want to give the owner incentive to pay what is owed to get the island back online. If what they will get is a mess of an empty island there is no incentive to do that. If you have stuff there though you can contact support and they can bring the island back online long enough for you to take your things back into your inventory (usually 24 hours). That's what you should do at this point.

Thank you to everyone that offered advice and help. I was able to get all my items back by contacting the people i bought them from and they sent a new set of each And I have found a new person to rent from and he was kind enough to let me stay my 1st 6weeks free. Again thank you everyone you have been so kind there is hope for secondlife people after all!

XxSarahxX Quintessa

"There are horror stories of people losing entire cities that took them many months to build and hundreds, sometimes thousands of RL dollars."

Hehehe, sadly, one we both know personally.

To the OP, it's unlikely you'll see your money if the former owner doesn't feel like giving it to you. LL doesn't get involved in problems like this, unfortunately.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4772 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.