soo my game crashed ... why is it going to take me 6 days to log back in ?

Splatulated

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3587 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Phil Deakins wrote:

Just a little correction. Petrol (gas) is sold in litres here (UK). It hasn't been sold in gallons for a very long time.

I didn't know that our pints and gallons a larger than the US's. Interesting.

Ahh, very good point. I suppose I just still *think* of it in gallons, or to be truly honest, I think of it in £'s-worth.

Kelli May wrote:

Phil Deakins wrote:

Just a little correction. Petrol (gas) is sold in litres here (UK). It hasn't been sold in gallons for a very long time.

Ahh, very good point. I suppose I just still *think* of it in gallons,
or to be truly honest, I think of it in £'s-worth.

Exactly as I do. I buy petrol by the £ and not by quantity.

Phil Deakins wrote:

Do you mean that you don't fill up the tank?

I always buy petrol "by the tank"; meaning that I always fill it up, as much as goes in there.

After filling the tank, I pay the petrol in Euros (€). :smileyhappy:

33 1-3.jpg

Phil Deakins wrote:

Kelli May wrote:

Phil Deakins wrote:

Ahh, very good point. I suppose I just still *think* of it in gallons,
or to be truly honest, I think of it in £'s-worth.

You reminded me of when we used to buy gas by the dollar.

They priced it at 33 1/3 per gallon (actually 33.3 cause that is how the pumps worked).

Back when all the Hippies had this on their bumpers a Dollar could get you a long way.

gas grass ass.png

Pamela Galli wrote:

I think the reason Americans cling to Imperial measurement is that it is based on body parts, so you can estimate using, say, a literal rule of thumb (or foot, or stride). 

Now I am curious about how they came up with a mile.

Congress passed the Metric conversion act in 1975, but the Reagan administration ended it in 1982 to reduce federal spending.

Coby Foden wrote:

Phil Deakins wrote:

I always buy petrol "by the tank"; meaning that I always fill it up, as much as goes in there.

No I don't fill up the tank. It costs petrol to drive petrol around, so I only ever fill it up when I'm going to drive a long way, and I only do it then to avoid the higher prices on the motorways. Almost all of my driving is very short distances

Pamela Galli wrote:

I think the reason Americans cling to Imperial measurement is that it is based on body parts, so you can estimate using, say, a literal rule of thumb (or foot, or stride). 

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/637/whats-the-origin-of-miles-and-yards

eyeroll-2.gif          :smileysurprised:   :smileyvery-happy:

Coby Foden wrote:

Pamela Galli wrote:

eyeroll-2.gif

:smileysurprised:   :smileyvery-happy:

See, that's the thing. None of that precise divide-by-ten jazz all the time. They were Brits. They were relaxed. They were humorous (or, I guess, humourous?). I mean, come on? Rods and furlongs? Once you've gone there, deciding a foot should contain 12 inches instead of say, 10, makes perfect sense.

Phil Deakins wrote:

Coby Foden wrote:

Phil Deakins wrote:

No I don't fill up the tank. It costs petrol to drive petrol around, so I only ever fill it up when I'm going to drive a long way, and I only do it then to avoid the higher prices on the motorways. Almost all of my driving is very short distances

It has been scientifically proven that one should never have more than 1/4 tank of gas in their vehicle unless you can not make it to a filling station in time. That is how car manufacturers get such good mileage results.

Drake1 Nightfire wrote:

Phil Deakins wrote:

Coby Foden wrote:

Phil Deakins wrote:

It has been scientifically proven that one should never have more than 1/4 tank of gas in their vehicle unless you can not make it to a filling station in time. That is how car manufacturers get such good mileage results.

Say what?

And while it's true the Mfr's 'self test' with the EPA spot checking about 10% of the vehicles themself, the results are still only for 'comparison.'  And everyone has to follow the same protocols when testing.

Perrie Juran wrote:

Drake1 Nightfire wrote:

Phil Deakins wrote:

Coby Foden wrote:

Phil Deakins wrote:

Say what?

And while it's true the Mfr's 'self test' with the EPA spot checking about 10% of the vehicles themself, the results are still only for 'comparison.'  And everyone has to follow the same protocols when testing.

A 20 gallon tank holds 140 pounds of gasoline. It takes gas to move that additional weight. Using only a 1/4 to an 1/8 of a tank will give you better mileage. They also test on a closed track, at highway speeds and with stop and go. None of their testing takes into account, hills, road conditions, a/c use, brand and or grade or gas, or any of the factors we face daily.

For someone who just does in town driving, having a full tank is foolish.

Drake1 Nightfire wrote:

What I do is that when there is about 1/4 tank of petrol left I go to a petrol station and fill the tank. Why do I do that? Well, I don't want go to buy petrol ever so often. When I fill the tank up the petrol will ususually last from two to four weeks until it's again 1/4 left.

Has anybody made scientific calculations how much one can save, lets say per 1000 km, by always filling the tank only to 1/4 of the full tank capacity? That would be interesting to know. If the saving is very small then for me it would not be worth the effort to start visiting petrol stations every three or four days.

Drake1 Nightfire wrote:

Perrie Juran wrote:

Drake1 Nightfire wrote:

Phil Deakins wrote:

Coby Foden wrote:

Phil Deakins wrote:

Say what?

A 20 gallon tank holds 140 pounds of gasoline. It takes gas to move that additional weight. Using only a 1/4 to an 1/8 of a tank will give you better mileage. They also test on a closed track, at highway speeds and with stop and go. None of their testing takes into account, hills, road conditions, a/c use, brand and or grade or gas, or any of the factors we face daily.

For someone who just does in town driving, having a full tank is foolish.

OK, I get it.  Though I would consider it a bit of a no brainer that the less weight you are moving, the less fuel you'd consume.

After all, a Thoroughbred with John Wayne in the saddle certainly wouldn't make it as far when compared to running with Russell Baze on top.

Drake1 Nightfire wrote:

A 20 gallon tank holds 140 pounds of gasoline.

You're using aviation gasoline? :smileysurprised: :smileywink:  20 US gallons of it weighs approximately 140 pounds.

Gasoline what is used in cars is lighter, 20 US gallons of it weighs approximately 125 pounds.

(Darn those US and imperial units, my head is spinning already.) :smileyvery-happy:

Perrie Juran wrote:

OK, I get it.  Though I would consider it a bit of a no brainer that the less weight you are moving, the less fuel you'd consume.

After all, a Thoroughbred with John Wayne in the saddle certainly wouldn't make it as far when compared to running with Russell Baze on top.

But it can still jump a four rail fence at the end of True Grit.

Kelli May wrote:

Perrie Juran wrote:

But it can still jump a four rail fence at the end of True Grit.

True Grit is one of at least IMHO the greatest movies ever made.

Though The Man From Snowy River has what I think is the greatest horse jump ever filmed.

Coby Foden wrote:

Drake1 Nightfire wrote:

You're using aviation gasoline? :smileysurprised: :smileywink:  20 US gallons of it weighs approximately 140 pounds.

Gasoline what is used in cars is lighter, 20 US gallons of it weighs approximately 125 pounds.

(Darn those US and imperial units, my head is spinning already.) :smileyvery-happy:

Either way, having a full tank is the same as carrying a small adult passenger around all the time. The further you go before filling up, the smaller the passenger gets, but it's still weighty, and driving it around costs money in petrol.

Insane stuntwork, and not-so-subtly parodied in Terry Pratchett's The Last Continent

I've read that John Wayne himself did the four-rail fence stunt on 'Twinkle-toes', quite unusual for him at that (or indeed, any) stage of his career. I dearly love the whole performance in True Grit, and the remake is a very worthy successor. Probably a better film all told, but I have such a soft spot for the original.

Fill your hands, you sonofabitch!

Coby Foden wrote:

Drake1 Nightfire wrote:

i weighed a gallon a few years ago for an experiment, it weighed in at 6.78 lbs. I rounded up for ease in this statement.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3587 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.