Will this asus laptop be able to run lights and shadows? even ultra settings?

lSketchl

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3574 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

HI. im looking into purchasing a new laptop. Factors im considering is i need for it to let me enable lights and shadows since id like to be involved in SL photography and blogging in the future. Will the "ASUS ROG G750JMDS71" be a good choice to purchase? Open to other suggestions. Specs below: (not sure if thats enough info since i dont have a good knowledge when it comes to things like this :) Thank you in advance guys!

• Operating System: Windows 8.1 (64 bit)

• Processor: Intel Core i7-4700HQ Haswell

• Processor Speed: 2.4GHz (up to 3.40 GHz)

• Memory: 12 GB System Memory (DDR3L)

• Video Graphics: Nvidia GTX 860M 2GB DDR5

• Hard Drive: 1TB 5400RPM

• Optical Drive: DL DVD±RW/CD-RW

• Display: 17.3" FHD (1920*1080), Matte

• Webcam: HD Camera

• Network Card: Integrated 10/100/1000 Mbps Fast Ethernet

more info for the laptop is here: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-rog-17-3-laptop-intel-core-i7-12gb-memory-1tb-hard-drive-black/5419215.p?id=1219128145312&skuId=5419215&ref=06&loc=01&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=5419215&extensionType=pla:g&s_kwcid=PTC!pla!!!37678873159!g!!49989913399&kpid=5419215&k_clickid=24298a5c-1e79-e1a8-a332-00001e96e4c7

I already fried one Asus lappy but it wasn't a ROG. This one shoud give you a good experience in SL, although shadows ... hmmmm, dunno. Let's not forget it's only a x6x and since it's in a lappy it's only the much weaker M model. You can't comapere it to the desktop specced 860! Anyhoo, eventhough the ROG lappies have jetplane sized turbines of exhausts it's highly recommended to place it on a cooling pad. I know, I know, they are called laptops but you dont wanna burn your lap wont ya?

Anyway, please ask yourself if you really need a laptop. Alone the fact you wanna use a giant behemoth of a 17.3" screen tells me you're not after the mobility in the first place. So why don't you consider a desktop computer? You'll get so much more power and performance at much lower price plus you buy into an eternally upgradable system.

Hello everyone. Thank you for your response. That helped me a lot. And also, im really not looking for a desktop. I prefer laptop for its portability when im on travel. Its weigh dont bother me at all. What im more concerned about is its capabilities. And personally, i dont use my laptops while on my lap, i place my laptop on top of a cooling pad while on a table.

My ASUS is a few years old ASUS RoG G74S series.  The processor is a rather slow 2.0 GHz, and the NVidea 

GeForce GTX 560M/PCIe/SSE2 is showing its age.  But it will let me turn on all the bells and whistles and get 20 fps in most places.  So I think is is agreat platform for SL.  

However, it is anything but sleek. with the top closed it is a full two inches off the table in the rear, almost an inch in the front.  This is to make room for the cooling system.  You may not need a cooling pad, but be careful where you point the exhaust ...  

Or maybe just use it with high graphic settings in a room with aircon.. :-)
And "lower your sl expections" when it is to warm.. :-)

A nice feature is to set max fps.. My computer always trys to give me as many fps a possible.. and i really don't need 170 fps in a sandbox and a burning hot computer.. 25 fps is more than enough for me, then it looks smooth on the screen.. :-)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3574 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.