LL need to make a STATMENT on why in the last 4 weeks there has been more unscheduled maintenance

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3667 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

LL need to make a STATMENT as to why in the last 4 weeks there has been more unscheduled maintenance and outages than in the previous 6 months!

This started about 4 weeks ago with 3 straight days of unscheduled maintenance and since then sl has not been the same with many anomalies and strange problems surfacing!

It seems every week since then there has been many instances of unscheduled maintenance!

Any comment Ebbe?

Phoebe Avro

Example of an issue,

one of my freinds and the host at our club for about 5 days has not been able to stay in SL for more than a couple of minutes without being logged out.

Today after SL opened its doors again she tried and was able to be in sl but for an hour or so but now its reverted back and she keeps being logged out.

But her alt is fine and has no issues  !! so this relates to the unscheduled maintenance and ongoing issues!!

Phoebe Avro wrote:

Example of an issue,

one of my freinds and the host at our club for about 5 days has not been able to stay in SL for more than a couple of minutes without being logged out.

Today after SL opened its doors again she tried and was able to be in sl but for an hour or so but now its reverted back and she keeps being logged out.

But her alt is fine and has no issues  !! so this relates to the unscheduled maintenance and ongoing issues!!

Since it seems to be an issue with the host's account and not her connection or software (since her alt is fine) I would first try clearing cache in case something linked to that avatar has got corrupted in the cache, if that doesn't work I think they should raise a support ticket because it sounds like there may be a problem with their profile,

Thx, I think she has cleared her cache etc, but as i said after LL opened its doors today she was able to stay in SL for over an hour! so my mind tells me its not her or her viewer but SL Issues, I did hear some one yeaturday in a group saying the exact same thing!

I just been talking in a group we are in about some strange mesh issues too and some one there said they had something similar happen the other day as i have had happen yesturday!

Mesh objects in a link set reverting to a previous version after i replaced them, it was driving me nuts untill i was sure i had replaced them all an hour later 3 of them had reverstd to the old version i had uploaded!, SL is very borked if you look close!

hi i'm the host Phoebe Avro was refering to in this post. i have tried all the usual tricks to stay on. i have cleared cache, detatched gestures, objects items & huds, i've even reinstalled sl fresh install still nothing improved. yet my alt has no problems at all. neither of my avatars wear mesh. please help find the problem especially if its not just me.

The strange thing is I have been reviewing the grid status reports and those 3 days of concurrent unscheduled maintenance 4 weeks ago seem to be missing now ^^ and i guess some other instances of unscheduled maintenance have vanished too ^^

I for one am gonna start taking screen shots of a lot of things LL post on the blog etc coz it seems things get 'edited' or vanish ^^

well... hackers come to mind when I think of unscheduled maintenance.

And you have to remember Second Life was created by humans and... uh humans make mistakes.

Maybe they were working on SL's code and something went horribly wrong or again it could be a hack attack and they don't want to cause mass panic so they aren't saying it.

Last night, May 19 10:45pm CST, I was on and I could see users in the mini and world maps but the names didn't appear in chat nor were their avi's visible. Its like I muted everyone or everyone muted me! Everywhere to it wasn't just one sim.

So I logged out and when I tried to log back in... I found out about another unscheduled maintenance.

Either way when they get things fixed I'm sure it will be back on line... I mean they were getting money every time users bought extra $L and considering noone can buy anything that just when out the window Just be patient...

About the disapearring messages... maybe its a database error on there end or they maybe the issue they though they fixed came back. I don't think they are trying to cover anything up.

Phoebe Avro wrote:

The strange thing is I have been reviewing the grid status reports and those 3 days of concurrent unscheduled maintenance 4 weeks ago seem to be missing now ^^ and i guess some other instances of unscheduled maintenance have vanished too ^^

I for one am gonna start taking screen shots of a lot of things LL post on the blog etc coz it seems things get 'edited' or vanish ^^

The strange thing is that I've reviewed the grid status reports that went out over status.secondlifegrid.net/feed (I use The Old Reader as my RSS reader) and compared them to the "live" page and see no real discrepancies.

I wonder how many people will blindly accept your conspiracy theory as fact and run with it.

Larrissa Iadyl wrote:

hi i'm the host Phoebe Avro was refering to in this post. i have tried all the usual tricks to stay on. i have cleared cache, detatched gestures, objects items & huds, i've even reinstalled sl fresh install still nothing improved. yet my alt has no problems at all. neither of my avatars wear mesh. please help find the problem especially if its not just me.

create a support ticket, it sounds like a problem a friend had at the start of the year and something Linden may have to fix to do with a corruption at their end of your account.

Mr. Altberg seems to be only a marketing person, trying to sell Second Life as a product, which it still isn't after 11 years — it's just an experimental thing and we're the guinea pigs.

Phoebe, the issues started last Christmas with a buggered inventory database, and have persisted since then. Some days a little better, same days a lot worse. Also, the grid status blog suffers from obsessive "ninja" editing... Date and time changed on the posts a posteriori, and some just deleted, so people who don't pay much attention or don't spend much time in Second Life won't know what's really going on. All motives to make me not trust the Lindens.

Transparency is a nice word, but only when it matches one's actions, and those of the Lab are the very opposite, as it seems to always have been.

So, because it's always been crappy it should keep on being that way? Improvements should mean having things working better, and the truth is that since Christmas it has been worse than ever, in my two and almost an half years in SL. How good we have it? I don't know how much time you spend in-world nor what you do in it, but obviously you haven't been paying much attention.

Sorry to sound kinda harsh, but it drives me nuts not being able to do something as simple as changing an outfit without having to re-log, for example... And, really, the "harshness" isn't directed to you — none of what's going on is your fault —, I just think your perspective is a bit out of focus.

I know that SL is a complex system, but because of its complexity the Lindens shouldn't just stuff some new code and hope that it works, which seems to be what they usually do. Each time they add new code it is a mess.

According to the Lindens, with SSA there would be no more orange clouds, among other benefits. Well, just look around... And this is only an example among many other things that are not working as they were supposed to be working. It hurts my heart everytime I read about the new inventory system coming...

things have improved, some years into the past the unscheduled maintenace was more frequent.

i agree that second life is still in a stage that dont provide the results expected to all the users, like all functions working correctly all of the time, hopefully, the imperfections will be reduced gradually as the Lindens find a way to stabilize more what they currently have when they add new code.

I'm sure that things improved, of course. After all, the Lindens have been at it for 11 years. A decade is more than enough time to turn some geek experiment into a reliable product, tho.

I'm sure the Linden software engineers have a blast creating their code, but I am a mere user, and if it only means trouble to me almost daily — and on top of that I pay for it — then I start to ask myself what the heck am I doing here.

It's hard to keep my cool when so many things don't match what the Lab tells the world. But I'll keep trying... for now.

P.S. - The users expect no more, no less, than the great virtual world the Lindens promised them and that made them — as it did to me — apply for a basic account, first, and later for a premium membership.

That is good. No information always leads to speculation.

Please try to understand that most of us do not have the technical knowledge that some do (or haven't been in SL long enough to know a little more than the average.) All we know is that we experience issues that sometimes are the opposite of what the Lab tells us in their promotional videos about improvements.

Also, Second Life has existed for more than a decade, so we would expect it to be more stable. Of course there are always problems and maintenances will always be needed. But unscheduled maintenances usually mean screw-ups — that far I know.

Anyway, this seems to be a new moment for the Lab and I wish they would do it more. Again: no information = speculation.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3667 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.