A Club Owner's Vent and Nothing More.....

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2245 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

In this department, I am a consumer of the bar experience. I have all but stopped even trying to find one. I can also speak for approximately 20 others, and have watched their habits as far as bars are concerned. These are the main reasons.

1) We can't find you.

Self explanatory. Even if most users know HOW to search for you, they'll generally find the main advertised clubs on the staff picks and go there..

2) When and if we do find you, you are empty.

When and if we find you, the event time is not as listed, or the club is empty, or the landmark is not anywhere near the club.

3) If you are not empty, your bar is ugly and full of billboards.

Many, many, many nightclubs are simply designed ugly and look more like a sandbox with ads than a cool place to be. I understand you want to sell, but the dance floor and club area should at least have some style and be a bit more inviting than selling dildos and avatars on the same walls.

Much like restaurants or anything else, a makeover once in awhile is a good thing. Update that old mesh from 2003, and stretched blurry 256px texture on the floor.

4) We want the bar design to be welcoming and of good quality, we're seeking a hangout.

There is a HUGE desire by many users to have somewhere cool to hang out, a regular hangout. But most designs are garish, square, ugly with oversized and out of scale furniture or outdated, and the lighting is horrible.

I've also been to clubs that WERE inviting, cozy and stuff but they're few and far between, and may have shut down now because i can't find them either now.

5) Lag

Ahh the lag. Whether it's the 3 Million polygon avatars or all the billboard texture ads from 100's of board trying to load is not fun to deal with, nor is it pleasant on the eyes to look at grey avatars for 15 minutes.

6) Prerequisites like group join or 'cover' charge.

Look I don't want to join your group, so please don't have  your sim/club spamming an invitation every minute. Also those peddling for a cover charge before even coming in, or soliciting money when I JUST arrived is not cool. If I don't leave in the next 30 seconds as it is, and I stay for an hour, I'm sure I will leave a tip to support.

7) Limited genre music (everyone has different tastes)

This is probably hard to address since all SL'ers have such difference in tastes in music, probably hard to keep everyone happy. That being said, look to your local nightclub in RL... are they exclusively 80's? or 90's? or all disco? Or is it Top 40? Top 40 with a mix of decades in a consistent format would help greatly.

I might be a child of the 80's but frankly I'm sick of Guns N Roses every 3rd song. Spice it up a little and play some Miley Cyrus or something :D

Weddings are perfect examples... the DJ there trying to keep everyone happy, from 8 year olds to 80 year olds, but at least the dance floor is hopping cuz everyone is happy and can put up with a few songs out of their genre once in awhile.

8) Have something to do...

Real life clubs and bars have pool tables, arcade games, and  maybe bullriding... give us somethign to do other than just standing on the dance floor playing random animations.

9) After all that then it's probably the problems you posted will come into play.

Edited by entity0x

Yeah.. i agree there are people that actually host the music themselves, have requests, and actually respond to the other avatars.

there are the ones that have a SL radio staion and a sometimes afk avatar on a pose ball.  been to both types.

(no one has mentioned dance island yet... is it still there?)

Anyway, as RL person can read linden code and learnt some basics of C programming, i add this youtube clip. its on a similar vein to the OP.

(this is not me in the clip, or my RL job)

Edited by kathyparnes1
I fixed a typo ...
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Zairdra, I kind of have the opposite problem. I have a problem finding places that don’t go for the kind of music you seem to be looking for.....

One suggestion would be to find a DJ that plays what you like, hop in their SL Group (most DJs have one) and then use that to network with other people who like that stuff.

A few months ago, I did a fast and informal assessment of what music high-traffic clubs were playing - and that seemed to be 80’s..... this may say something about the average RL age demographic of SL.

Good luck!

One of the longest lasting “clubs” I know isn’t even a club. It’s a big open space with a large primmy dance floor and the most jelly dolls and face lights I’ve ever seen in one place. Inexplicably there’s always more than 10 people there at any given time. Usually the radio is on, every once in a while the owner comes in and DJs. All of the most annoying things about SL are on full display almost 24/7.

What makes this place so successful? I think it comes down to two things: the owner pays for the space without fail and there really aren’t any rules or theme. So you’re likely to see just about anything there. It’s a social place and the owner pays for it. That’s all you really need.

When someone tells me they’re going to open a club, I immediately roll my eyes. They immediately go into a list of how it’s going to be different. All you really need is to keep it open and allow SL to be SL. 

The last thing you need is to expect profit and cater to some small niche.

11 minutes ago, janetosilio said:

there’s always more than 10 people there at any given time...

What makes this place so successful......

11 minutes ago, janetosilio said:

The last thing you need is to expect profit

A successful business can make no profit?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2245 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.