Is Computer Compatible with SL?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3841 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I game a ton outside of SL, so I been looking into computers.  I was just curious if someone can offer some unbiased info.

Will this computer run SL?  If so, how well?  I like to have shadows and all on when I am visiting sims.

http://www.dell.com/us/p/alienware-aurora-r4/pd?oc=dpcwny2&model_id=alienware-aurora-r4

----

Processor

• 2nd Generation Intel® Core™ i7-3820 processor (10M Cache, Overclocked up to 4.1 GHz)

Operating System

• Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64Bit, English

Monitor

• No Monitor

Memory4

• 16GB5 Q DDR3 SDRAM at 1600MHz

Hard Drive6

• 3TB 7200 RPM SATA 3Gb/s

Video Card4

• Dual 1.5GB GDDR5 NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 660

Optical Drive

• Single Drive: 24X CD/DVD burner (DVD+/-RW) w/double layer write capability

Yes this computer should be more than capable of running SL with shadows and all at 30fps. I recommend not buying alienware though, they're overpriced for what they offer. Take a look around newegg they have some fairly priced computers and even better, if you have the skill build your own. It will take at least $500 off the price.

Hi Harlow,

I tend to agree with Frawmusl about Alienware being overpriced. Having said that, I have one and so does my boyfriend. I'm a creator in Sl and he is an avid gamer (his computer is very similar to the configuration you are considering and it has served him quite well).  Some of the possible benefits of buying from Dell/Alienware include at home service (depending on the service contract you purchase) - this can be a lifesaver if you need someone to fix something within just a couple of business days (in my case, running a business means I need help "fast" when something goes wrong).  One thing I have found with Dell - make sure to build the configuration you want, then call them directly on the phone - the sales reps are very anxious to make a sale and very often will provide discounts.  Then you'll know the "real" price and can certainly comparison shop before making a final purchase.

Edited to add: As Frawmusl recommends, I did buy my monitor, webcam, speakers from newegg - I got much better prices for the same items.

Harlow Vaniva wrote:

Will this computer run SL?  If so, how well?  I like to have shadows and all on when I am visiting sims.

Monitor
  • No Monitor

I don't think the SL-experience comes in braille. Will be quite difficult to see shadows without a monitor as well .. :robotindifferent:

• 2 months later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3841 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.