Those who can not respond

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3936 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Czari Zenovka wrote:

Snugs McMasters wrote:

Madelaine McMasters wrote:

No, you may not ogle the new mailman with our right eye.

You're miffed because I fired first. And no, I didn't learn that from Dad.

Is that anything like the line from "Hallelujah" (my new favorite song) that says:

"But all I've ever learned from love was how to shoot at someone who outdrew you..."

I'm still pondering the meaning of that (I spend a lot of time pondering).

Since I'm already on this line of thinking...there was a thread on SLU that included the mp3 of a SL resident singing this song at a memorial service for a SL resident who passed away - that rendition remains my favorite.  I then watched the video of Leonard Cohen (the author/musician of the song) - the pain expressed in his rendition was heart-wrenching.  Watched a few others (everyone and their brother seems to have recorded that song) and my next favorite rendition, after the SL resident, is KD Lang's version; the video of her performing "Hallelujah" at the 2010 Winter Olympics is visually amazing as well. (Tempted to post the video but last time I did that I got warned for inappropriate content. :matte-motes-bashful-cute-2:)

my favorite version of this song, is the Jeff Buckley one.. i know its a modified version but damn, so good version !

Charley Muggings wrote:

My great-grandmother used to say "If you can't say something nice about someone, don't say anything"

My grandmother used to say "If you can't say something nice about someone, come and tell me all about it".

My mother used to say "If you can't say something nice about someone, make sure you tell the truth".

My wife says "If you can't say something nice about someone, don't answer them".

My wife trains Customer Service Operatives.

Thank you for those examples of response influencing rules.

Qwalyphi Korpov wrote:

Syo Emerald wrote:

Everyone who is affected by option one shouldn't be in SL or the internet at all.

I had not thought of that.  So when a person in-world can't use voice and won't answer a simple question like what viewer then they might be under age.

Perhaps they could be on the internet though.  As long as someone was 'watching' and making sure they didn't answer any questions.

If a person still needs to follow the order not to talk to strangers, I highly doubt they have reached the age to be in SL legally. Also children that are this young shouldn't browse the internet on their own. I have not said that someone who doesn't answer questions or uses voice is underage. I just responed to your idea, that their mother might told them not to answer strangers.

Syo Emerald wrote:

Qwalyphi Korpov wrote:

Syo Emerald wrote:

Everyone who is affected by option one shouldn't be in SL or the internet at all.

I had not thought of that.  So when a person in-world can't use voice and won't answer a simple question like what viewer then they might be under age.

Perhaps they could be on the internet though.  As long as someone was 'watching' and making sure they didn't answer any questions.

If a person still needs to follow the order not to talk to strangers, I highly doubt they have reached the age to be in SL legally. Also children that are this young shouldn't browse the internet on their own. I have not said that someone who doesn't answer questions or uses voice is underage. I just responed to your idea, that their mother might told them not to answer strangers.

Yes, I understand.  I, also, did not say that someone who doesn't answer questions is underage. 

Ah, now I see the disconnect.  I was trying to use the example of a user who has problems getting voice to work.  So I was aiming for "I can't use voice & don't know how to fix it" rather than the "I can't use voice because my mother won't let me."  I should have used a clearer example.

Czari Zenovka wrote:

Snugs McMasters wrote:

Is that anything like the line from "Hallelujah" (my new favorite song) that says:

"But all I've ever learned from love was how to shoot at someone who outdrew you..."

Since I'm already on this line of thinking...there was a thread on SLU that included the mp3 of a SL resident singing this song at a memorial service for a SL resident who passed away - that rendition remains my favorite.  I then watched the video of Leonard Cohen (the author/musician of the song) - the pain expressed in his rendition was heart-wrenching.  Watched a few others (everyone and their brother seems to have recorded that song) and my next favorite rendition, after the SL resident, is KD Lang's version; the video of her performing "Hallelujah" at the 2010 Winter Olympics is visually amazing as well. (Tempted to post the video but last time I did that I got warned for inappropriate content. :matte-motes-bashful-cute-2:)

It's more a reference to old westerns, which make more sense to us than Leonard Cohen.

As for pondering, that's a good way to avoid getting things done. Maddy would approve, but I think you are both lazy.

It's the question that's in question.

What Viewer Do You Use?

Scenario #1

Person: "Does anyone know why I can't... and so and so and on and on about their problem with using Second Life"
Helper: "What viewer do you use?"
Person: "I am using the default Linden Lab viewer...and so and so about my problem"
Response: "Oh you should try Firestorm(or other tpv)...and so and so and on and on about why they should use [Firestorm/other tpv]..."

Scenario #2
Person: "Does anyone know why I can't... and so and so and on and on about their problem with using Second Life"
Person: "I am using Firestorm(or other tpv)......and so and so about my problem"
Response: "Oh you should use the defaul Linden Lab viewer...and so and so and on and on about why they should use [The Linden Lab viewer]..."

Snugs McMasters wrote:

Czari Zenovka wrote:

Snugs McMasters wrote:

It's more a reference to old westerns, which make more sense to us than Leonard Cohen.

As for pondering, that's a good way to avoid getting things done. Maddy would approve, but I think you are both lazy.

I got the western/shooting thing...just still pondering how that is something learned from love. *Scratches head*

Re: being lazy - who asked you anyway....Hrumppph. :matte-motes-wink:

AgentDetective wrote:

It's the question that's in question.

What Viewer Do You Use?

Scenario #1

Person: "I am using the default Linden Lab viewer...and so and so about my problem"

Response: "Oh you should try Firestorm(or other tpv)...and so and so and on and on about why they should use [Firestorm/other tpv]..."

Scenario #2

Person: "I am using Firestorm(or other tpv)......and so and so about my problem"

Response: "Oh you should use the defaul Linden Lab viewer...and so and so and on and on about why they should use [The Linden Lab viewer]..."

I do appreciate the viewer question drama aspect you point out.  It certainly is another reason someone may not answer a simple question.

However - the various voice related preferences and sliders vary from viewer to viewer. Singularity has the voice preferences in a tab called 'Voice Chat.' In Firestorm and the LL viewers the voice preferences are in the Sound & Media tab.  However Firestorm then gets to the voice settings with a 'Voice Setting' tab inside the Sound and Media tab.  There are further differences I won't get into.

So while an answer may lead to drama it can also lead to a solution.

I drop conversatins that start like this because they will invariably lead to "I'm a perfeshunal super computer genius expert" followed by a stream of hilarously incorrect technobabble. For the voice thing, even "what viewer do you use" is off in left field when the issue is biological.

Cerise Sorbet wrote:

I drop conversatins that start like this because they will invariably lead to "I'm a perfeshunal super computer genius expert" followed by a stream of hilarously incorrect technobabble. For the voice thing, even "what viewer do you use" is off in left field when the issue is biological.

I'm putting you in the 'blame the mothers' column for now.

Cerise Sorbet wrote:

Ok, then I'll put you in the "fails to understand that unsolicited advice is a social faux pas" slot.

Alrighty but then I has to put you in the "fails to understand the example situation" slot.

Of course it's probably my fault.  I'll copy & paste here & try to fix things.

Like in-world someone says "I can't use voice."  So you ask "What viewer do you use?"   Then you get no answer.  You wonder why.  It's a simple question.  ....

Hmmm... I guess it's just a difference of opinion or sumptin.  Cuz when I see someone saying "I can't use voice" it sounds to me like they're soliciting advice.  While it sounds to you like they're just making an announcement and if anyone responds they deserve to be ignored.  I'll add your reason to the list.  Thank you for your contribution.

• My mother told me not to talk to strangers.
  • The organization I work for told me not to respond to questions.
  • If someone tries to help you with your announced problems or issues it's a faux pas & you should ignore them

Charly Muggins wrote:

I must admit that when my kids charge into my study claiming that the internet is not working I suggest that they write a letter to Tim Berners-Lee.

Does that count as unsolicited advice, a faux pas, or a means of getting them to cut to the chase?

I suspect I have a blind spot when it comes to the unsolicited advice area.  Although I'm getting better at spotting the faux pas.  For example:

A man walks into a bar and announces "I'm an alcoholic."   The bartender says "In that case you really shouldn't be here.  What'll you have?"  The man doesn't respond.

I'm pretty sure there's a faux pas in there somewhere.

Charly Muggins wrote:

I heard a rumour that someone sent a Moderator a Private Message saying they were going to kill themselves if the Moderator didn't reply, and it would be the Moderator's fault.

The Moderator gave him a lifetime ban for harassment and questioning moderation.

I heard that too, but it's not as scary as the guy with a hook for a hand.

...Dres

Dresden Ceriano wrote:

Charly Muggins wrote:

I heard a rumour that someone sent a Moderator a Private Message saying they were going to kill themselves if the Moderator didn't reply, and it would be the Moderator's fault.

The Moderator gave him a lifetime ban for harassment and questioning moderation.

I heard that too, but it's not as scary as the guy with a hook for a hand.

...Dres

Scary? Just make a noise like a clock and he runs away.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3936 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.