I've Lost Weight!!!!!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3956 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Ok, I would be thrilled to be less curvy in RL but in SL I've spent a lot of time tweaking my avatar to how I want to look - not heavy, but with curvy hips and curvier legs than I see on many female avatars.  A couple of years ago when I went dancing more often I had several men send IMs saying it was refreshing to see a female avatar that didn't have a 15" waist.

So, I log into SL with my new PC, including going from a 15" to 22" monitor and....my avatar lost weight...I'm talking a lot of weight.  In talking about this to a good friend she said she always saw my avatar as real skinny. ARRRRGGGGGHHHH!!!!!  I sent a couple photos I took of me on my old PC and she said she never saw me with those curves.

I've apparently been walking around SL thinking my shape looks one way and others are seeing me another.  (Another one of those "So much for "shared experience" things." 

My musing/question is - what is causing me to look skinnier on my new PC (and to others)?  Is it due to a larger monitor, something in the PC itself, the viewer (used Phoenix in the past; have tried CoolVL Viewer and Singularity on new PC)...it just seems weird that an avatar shape would look so different.

Back to the sliders to regain my womanly curves! ;)

ahhahahhahahhah 

can you please, send me your magical reciepe pls ? I would like to try it in RL lol

and as i told you some minutes ago inworld : New PC : new beguining : so new shape ! Somewhat a new birth ! 

EDIT : i just saw your : 

Czari Zenovka wrote:

So, I log into SL with my new PC, including going from a 15" to 22" monitor and....my avatar lost weight...I'm talking a lot of weight.  In talking about this to a good friend she said she always saw my avatar as real skinny. ARRRRGGGGGHHHH!!!!!  I sent a couple photos I took of me on my old PC and she said she never saw me with those curves.

And yes lol.. but i thought you wanted to look like this lol.... i never dared to comment your skinny body lol.. its up to ppl to choose how they look in SL lol..  i just looked so short and fat beside you ahhahahhaha

Trinity Yazimoto wrote:

ahhahahhahahhah 

can you please, send me your magical reciepe pls ? I would like to try it in RL lol

and as i told you some minutes ago inworld : New PC : new beguining : so new shape ! Somewhat a new birth ! 

LOL, Trinity - you and me both RL - except I still wouldn't want to be as skinny as my poor av looks now. *Sniff*Sniff*

ETA: So when I reset the sliders to get my av back to my "normal" - then it's possible I will look heavier to other users.   Hmmmmm.....

Trinity Yazimoto wrote:

ahhahahhahahhah 

EDIT : i just saw your : 

Czari Zenovka wrote:

And yes lol.. but i thought you wanted to look like this lol.... i never dared to comment your skinny body lol.. its up to ppl to choose how they look in SL lol..  i just looked so short and fat beside you ahhahahhaha

And on my screen you just looked shorter than me, but I'm taller than many female avatars in general.  You never looked fat on my screen in comparison to my avatar.  I still think this difference in avatar look is weird.

Czari Zenovka wrote:

Ok, I would be thrilled to be less curvy in RL but in SL I've spent a lot of time tweaking my avatar to how I want to look - not heavy, but with curvy hips and curvier legs than I see on many female avatars.  A couple of years ago when I went dancing more often I had several men send IMs saying it was refreshing to see a female avatar that didn't have a 15" waist.

I've apparently been walking around SL thinking my shape looks one way and others are seeing me another.  (Another one of those "So much for "shared experience" things." 

My musing/question is - what is causing me to look skinnier on my new PC (and to others)?  Is it due to a larger monitor, something in the PC itself, the viewer (used Phoenix in the past; have tried CoolVL Viewer and Singularity on new PC)...it just seems weird that an avatar shape would look so different.

Back to the sliders to regain my womanly curves!
;)

Apparently after you edited your shape it never got sent to the servers properly. One of the changes made when Viewer 2 was released was the creation of the "Current Outfit" folder in everyone's inventory where your appearance information is kept. It speeds up people rezzing compared to the old method where people's viewers sent everyone their appearance every time they arrived someplace and is the foundation that will be used for server-side baking. However, your old version of Phoenix didn't use the "Current Outfit" folder so it was merrily telling you that your shape is the last one you edited because it based your appearance on what it had stored internaly instead of what's on the servers. Meanwhile, all current viewers, including CoolVL and Singularity, DO use the Current Outfit folder so they get different information.

Theresa Tennyson wrote:

Czari Zenovka wrote:

Back to the sliders to regain my womanly curves!
;)

Apparently after you edited your shape it never got sent to the servers properly. One of the changes made when Viewer 2 was released was the creation of the "Current Outfit" folder in everyone's inventory where your appearance information is kept. It speeds up people rezzing compared to the old method where people's viewers sent everyone their appearance every time they arrived someplace and is the foundation that will be used for server-side baking. However, your old version of Phoenix didn't use the "Current Outfit" folder so it was merrily telling you that your shape is the last one you edited because it based your appearance on what it had stored internaly instead of what's on the servers. Meanwhile, all current viewers, including CoolVL and Singularity, DO use the Current Outfit folder so they get different information.

I read that twice and I'm still confused...lol.  So if I now make changes to my avatar, it will stay put on the servers?  The Phoenix I was using had a "Current Outfit" tab...or maybe it was "Worn" tab.  Dangit, now I have to dl Phoenix to see what it was....or just edit my avatar if it won't change...lol.

The shape I normally wear was last tweaked probably two years ago or so.  When v2 was released, did everyone's avatar settings change?

*Scratches head*

Czari Zenovka wrote:

I read that twice and I'm still confused...lol.  So if I now make changes to my avatar, it will stay put on the servers?  The Phoenix I was using had a "Current Outfit" tab...or maybe it was "Worn" tab.  Dangit, now I have to dl Phoenix to see what it was....or just edit my avatar if it won't change...lol.

The shape I normally wear was last tweaked probably two years ago or so.  When v2 was released, did everyone's avatar settings change?

*Scratches head*

worn tab is not same as current outfit folder.. one is a tab in your inventory, one another is a folder. Look at the top of your inventory and you will see it.. 

This folder has inside only what you are wearing currently. It changes at every change you do on your avatar.

if i remember well, i dont think it was in Phoenix. 

I was just thinking the same thing that Ceka said. You would see the same effect on a TV that could be switched between standard def mode (uses the old 4:3 height to width ratio) vs high def mode (16:9 or 16:10). When I first got my HD TV I saw the same thing you're seeing now; people looked shorter and thicker in SD but, when switched to HD the people magically lost weight and got taller. :smileysurprised:

I guess along with your new computer you also get to build a "new" you!

Ceka Cianci wrote:

ya i remember when i just changed my monitor that happened to me..

i went with a wide screen and had to get my resolution worked out..i was actually shorter and wider when i switched to my new one..

lol

Oooo, I switched from a 15'" with 1400x900 resolution; the new one is 22" with 1680x1050.  Did you change the resolution in the UI graphics settings?

The thing that confuses me about that, though, is that Trinity saw me very thin, although I was seeing myself differently on the old PC.  Would that have anything to do with the settings on her PC and, in that case, my avatar could look different depending on the resolution of peoples' monitors.

Deej Kasshiki wrote:

I was just thinking the same thing that Ceka said. You would see the same effect on a TV that could be switched between standard def mode (uses the old 4:3 height to width ratio) vs high def mode (16:9 or 16:10). When I first got my HD TV I saw the same thing you're seeing now; people looked shorter and thicker in SD but, when switched to HD the people magically lost weight and got taller. :smileysurprised:

I guess along with your new computer you also get to build a "new" you!

Ok, so based on my response to Ceka above, if I rebuild my avatar to suit how I look on my new monitor, will I still look different to others who use a different resolution?  (This is starting to hurt my head...lol.)

Czari Zenovka wrote:

Ceka Cianci wrote:

i went with a wide screen and had to get my resolution worked out..i was actually shorter and wider when i switched to my new one..

lol

Oooo, I switched from a 15'" with 1400x900 resolution; the new one is 22" with 1680x1050.  Did you change the resolution in the UI graphics settings?

The thing that confuses me about that, though, is that Trinity saw me very thin, although I was seeing myself differently on the old PC.  Would that have anything to do with the settings on her PC and, in that case, my avatar could look different depending on the resolution of peoples' monitors.

But your avatar will look different about a lot of parameter depending from what computer is seen... it will depend on the graphic performance settings, the windlight settings, the day cycle and yes also, about the monitor size and definition... So stop torturing your head about it... lol.... i had a lot of migraines when i thought naively i could have my  prims or mesh feet same color than my main skin for everyone else... now that i know its impossible.. i feel better.. and save a lot of time lol

Czari Zenovka wrote:

Ceka Cianci wrote:

lol

really all i think i did was set my ui and in game settings once i got my monitor set to where things did not look all stretched out..

and ya you will never look the same as you see yourself to everyone else..

i don't think things are really drastic.. like looking wide and short or tall and skinny..

but i don't think we are seen as we would like to be 100% seen..

it kind of makes you wonder why we pay all this money for a look that we take the time to accoutn for every tiny detail of looking right..only to have it not seen as we see it hehehe

i just think to myself..

well at least we are not on the older viewers where only some had the extra attach points and others seen such drastic versions as someones armor floating over thier head..while they walked in thinking they were looking all bad azz and ready to slay dragons..

hehehe

we get close enough i think...which for me nowadays is good enough for me..

i mostly am worried about getting a look just right for any photos i take and pull into photoshop..

i've accepted that i may not look to others as i look to myself..

but hey ..that's a lot like RL is also..

not sure if there is any lesson in that part of it or not..just hit me that it's similar in that way as well hehehe =)

i guess the fun part is just trying to get as close as we can?

Trinity Yazimoto wrote:

Czari Zenovka wrote:

Ceka Cianci wrote:

lol

But your avatar will look different about a lot of parameter depending from what computer is seen... it will depend on the graphic performance settings, the windlight settings, the day cycle and yes also, about the monitor size and definition... So stop torturing your head about it... lol.... i had a lot of migraines when i thought naively i could have my  prims or mesh feet same color than my main skin for everyone else... now that i know its impossible.. i feel better.. and save a lot of time lol

I agree, and have been stating such in other threads that, due to windlight settings, etc., two people in SL can see the same setting in entirely different ways.  I'm still baffled, however, as to why my avatar looks thinner to me on my own PC, the point being trying to figure out what is causing that as I would prefer to not have to painstakingly tweak my avatar sliders.

At the end of the day, however, my stance has always been that, due to all the various settings other people can use, I'm satisfied when my avatar looks like I want it to look *to me.*  For example, I always use the environment settings recommended by the designer of my skin.  I'm sure others don't see my avatar in the same way because they are not using those settings and that has never bothered me.  It *does* bother me that I don't look like I want to look by me now...lol.

Sounds like time with the avatar shape sliders is in my immediate future.

Despite the Lab's always talking about "the shared SL experience", there is in fact no way to ensure that two people (even if using the exact same hardware and viewer) will ever see the exact same thing. As long as there are graphics and performance settings that can be user adjusted, not to mention the variety of different computers, viewers, monitors, etc, the chances of having your av look exactly the same as what you're seeing is kind of low.

I think the solution is to just make your av look the way you like. In the final analysys that's what matters the most anyway. :matte-motes-smitten:

Deej Kasshiki wrote:

Despite the Lab's always talking about "the shared SL experience", there is in fact no way to ensure that two people (even if using the exact same hardware and viewer) will ever see the
exact
same thing. As long as there are graphics and performance settings that can be user adjusted, not to mention the variety of different computers, viewers, monitors, etc, the chances of having your av look exactly the same as what you're seeing is kind of low.

I think the solution is to just make your av look the way
you
like. In the final analysys that's what matters the most anyway. :matte-motes-smitten:

Yes, Deej, I realize that and stated such in a previous post; what really confuses me is why I look substantially different to ME and would like to find out if it is due to the viewer, a larger monitor, going from XP to Win 7, my PC specs, or which way the wind is blowing.  That is what mystifies me way more than everyone else being able to see me as I see me.

Czari Zenovka wrote:

Deej Kasshiki wrote:

Despite the Lab's always talking about "the shared SL experience", there is in fact no way to ensure that two people (even if using the exact same hardware and viewer) will ever see the
exact
same thing. As long as there are graphics and performance settings that can be user adjusted, not to mention the variety of different computers, viewers, monitors, etc, the chances of having your av look exactly the same as what you're seeing is kind of low.

you
like. In the final analysys that's what matters the most anyway. :matte-motes-smitten:

Yes, Deej, I realize that and stated such in a previous post; what really confuses me is why I look substantially different to ME and would like to find out if it is due to the viewer, a larger monitor, going from XP to Win 7, my PC specs, or which way the wind is blowing.  That is what mystifies me way more than everyone else being able to see me as I see me.

Earlier, someone posited that your use of a V1 viewer had, at some point, potentially decoupled your avatar shape settings from those stored in SL's servers, causing you to see a different shape for you than the rest of us. Sharing a few recent in-world pics of yourself should help determine if this is the case, or if it's something else. Have someone (I'd be happy to do so) take a pic of you and you also take a pic of you, then exchange them and compare.

Madelaine McMasters wrote:

Czari Zenovka wrote:

Deej Kasshiki wrote:

exact

you

Earlier, someone posited that your use of a V1 viewer had, at some point, potentially decoupled your avatar shape settings from those stored in SL's servers, causing you to see a different shape for you than the rest of us. Sharing a few recent in-world pics of yourself should help determine if this is the case, or if it's something else. Have someone (I'd be happy to do so) take a pic of you and you also take a pic of you, then exchange them and compare.

I don't quite understand the "decoupling avatar shape" thing.  As background (for those who do understand that), I have not changed my shape for I would estimate a good two years and the avatar shape that I saw using the Phoenix viewer on my old PC was always the shape I created and intended so I'm not understanding how the SL servers would show a different shape to me.

I sent Trinity a few photos of how I saw myself on Phoenix and she said she had always seen my shape as much thinner.  I just downloaded the Phoenix I had been using and took a photo of myself in that viewer and an identical shot with Singularity.  My avatar looks a bit thinner on Phoenix now, but is still more "shapely" than the identical shot on Singularity so I'm now thinking that two things are at play: 1) my having a larger monitor and 2) a difference of some sort between the pre-mesh Phoenix and mesh viewers, which may what you were alluding to, not sure. :)

Czari Zenovka wrote:

Madelaine McMasters wrote:

I don't quite understand the "decoupling avatar shape" thing.  As background (for those who do understand that), I have not changed my shape for I would estimate a good two years and the avatar shape that I saw using the Phoenix viewer on my old PC was always the shape I created and intended so I'm not understanding how the SL servers would show a different shape to me.

I sent Trinity a few photos of how I saw myself on Phoenix and she said she had always seen my shape as much thinner.  I just downloaded the Phoenix I had been using and took a photo of myself in that viewer and an identical shot with Singularity.  My avatar looks a bit thinner on Phoenix now, but is still more "shapely" than the identical shot on Singularity so I'm now thinking that two things are at play: 1) my having a larger monitor and 2) a difference of some sort between the pre-mesh Phoenix and mesh viewers, which may what you were alluding to, not sure.
:)

Someone was explaining that around the time "Outfits" came to the viewer, the responsibility for remembering shape settings moved from the viewer to the servers. Until then, the shape parameters were apparently cached locally. (This doesn't sound right, I may be remembering it wrong.) The theory was that, since you stayed with V1, the servers may have been handing out your shape parameters to others from their own storage place, and not from the local copy in your viewer. You'd never have noticed since your viewer was always rendering your shape from your local settings, not those on the server. How the server ever got settings that differed from those on your PC was not explained.

Let's examine your PC/monitor hypothesis...

If your old PC was driving its monitor with the wrong aspect ratio, everything should have looked a little wrong to you, including RL images. If your new PC is driving its monitor with the wrong aspect ratio, everything would look a little wrong to you know, again including RL images.

If SL is the only place you notice something wrong, and it's only with your shape, and only when you view yourself, then we're looking at your viewer somehow working with shape parameters for you that are not the same as those stored in the SL servers and distributed to everybody else when you appear within their SL scenes. That's the decoupling I mentioned.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3956 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.