Birthday prize

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3989 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Other Terms & Conditions:
Eligibility. Contest is open to all Second Life® Residents ("Residents") in good standing, 16 and older as of the start of the Contest. Residents of embargoed countries, countries where such contests are not legal or where access to the Second Life world has been blocked or disabled, as well as Employees and affiliates of Linden Research, Inc. ("Linden Lab"), and their families are not eligible to participate. Contest void where prohibited. Subject to all international, federal, state and local laws. No purchase is necessary to enter and win

florence Nexen wrote:

I am intruiged as to why LL allowed a competition to celebrate 10 years that is open only to US residents!!! What about the rest of us?? DOnt we count any longer???

Why do people always bash the US because of their own countries rules? Ahhh... yes SL residents in other countries never counted either. What ignorance.

edit. spelling

Malanya wrote:

florence Nexen wrote:

I am intruiged as to why LL allowed a competition to celebrate 10 years that is open only to US residents!!! What about the rest of us?? DOnt we count any longer???

Why do people always bash the US because of their own countries rules? Ahhh... yes SL residents in other countries never counted either. What ignorance.

edit. spelling

Agree with you again, Malanya!  It is apparently "chic" to bash the US but probably "nationalistic" for lack of better words, to say anything negative about another country which, in all my years on the forums, I have never seen.  Not that it hasn't happened, but I haven't personally read any similar comments about other countries.

I'm currently not real happy about certain situations in the US but my concerns regard the government, not the citizens of the US.  I would think this could be similar for any country - the citizens may not be happy with or in agreement with their government's policies at any given time, but should not reflect on broadbrushing the citizens.  (Not that the comment that initiated Malanya's response was doing so - just a commentary on something that has irked me for some time.)

/steps off my soapbox

Edit: Clarification

UncommonTruth wrote:

Eligibility.
Contest is open to all Second Life® Residents
("Residents") in good standing, 16 and older as of the start of the Contest. Residents of embargoed countries, countries where such contests are not legal or where access to the Second Life world has been blocked or disabled, as well as Employees and affiliates of Linden Research, Inc. ("Linden Lab"), and their families are not eligible to participate. Contest void where prohibited. Subject to all international, federal, state and local laws. No purchase is necessary to enter and win

This does make we wonder what Countries access to SL has been blocked or disabled.

But yeah, the OP is blowing smoke.

florence Nexen wrote:

The OP may have been referring to the Alienware laptop sweepstakes which is only open to US residents but it isn't really a "competition" - it's a random drawing and it's not being run by Linden Lab. (Incidentally it's also not open to residents of Rhode Island either. Go figure...)

Perrie Juran wrote:

UncommonTruth wrote:

Eligibility.
Contest is open to all Second Life® Residents
("Residents") in good standing, 16 and older as of the start of the Contest. Residents of embargoed countries, countries where such contests are not legal or where access to the Second Life world has been blocked or disabled, as well as Employees and affiliates of Linden Research, Inc. ("Linden Lab"), and their families are not eligible to participate. Contest void where prohibited. Subject to all international, federal, state and local laws. No purchase is necessary to enter and win

This does make we wonder what Countries access to SL has been blocked or disabled.

But yeah, the OP is blowing smoke.

I will correct myself here.  Despite the legal mumbo jumbo in the contest rules:

"Contest is only open to legal residents of the United States."

http://www.alienwarearena.com/lan-give-a-way/second-life/

This among other things is probably an easy way to deal with international laws and  other legal restrictions.

Theresa Tennyson wrote:

florence Nexen wrote:

The OP may have been referring to the Alienware laptop sweepstakes which is only open to US residents but it isn't really a "competition" - it's a random drawing and it's not being run by Linden Lab. (Incidentally it's also not open to residents of Rhode Island either. Go figure...)

It may not be open to Rhode Island residents because of state laws prohibiting this type of contest or the method of entry being restricted to the internet only. 

It is probably restricted to US residents only due to tariffs and the patchwork of laws about contests in other countries that they would have to comply with or other legal, marketing or financial considerations.  Not all contests sponsored by companies outside the US are open to US residents for the same reasons.

Hey Czari, did that computer boot up yet... :P

Yes it must be "chic" and I find these people that complain about US companies that follow US rules/guidelines/laws to be martyrs.  Plain and simple. They complain about everything and lay blame instead of educating themselves about the country in which they reside in and how these "rules" the US complies with is in accordance to their homelands laws. But you will hear a whole bunch of BS reasoning I am sure. How many times have you seem something advertised in the US and it excludes US states? Oh yeah, lol them silly laws.

I am also not so happy with everything, or shall I say many things the US government does, BUT jeeez, let's get over the bash crap. If LL was based in another country I wonder how that tune would be played, how many would be whining all the time.

Either educate yourself in the Laws if you participate in anything offered by a different country in which you live or pass it up.

For the record, LL does not give special treatment to US customers LOL, I would love to see an example of that.

Czari Zenovka wrote:

Malanya wrote:

For the record, LL does not give special treatment to US customers LOL, I would love to see an example of that.

QFT!!!!

Re: the PC - scheduled to arrive on Monday!!!!

LOL, ya know?

Can't wait until you get your new machine!

florence Nexen wrote:

Someone didn't really read the rules and regulations.

You do realize there are often a myriad of reasons as to why some do not qualify for contests, right?

Not fair, you say...

Life's not fair. Suck it up buttercup.

florence Nexen wrote:

The reason will be because of the nature of the promotional deal. Why LL have decided such a restrictive competition is a good fit for a SL10B community related competition is a different matter, personally I think it's a poor fit.

Why they cant mention in the MOTD or the advert that appears here on this site, that it's only open to USA residents is another matter too, it really shouldn't be that difficult to put that in the MOTD or the banner advert.

ImaTest wrote:

florence Nexen wrote:

Someone didn't really read the rules and regulations.

You do realize there are often a myriad of reasons as to why some do not qualify for contests, right?

Not fair, you say...

Life's not fair. Suck it up buttercup.

\it

BrainPhrozen Woodsheart wrote:

No people in other countries are apparently not worthy

Are you SERIOUS? I would suggest you educate yourself how contests run and rules and laws of countries before you join the poor me bandwagon.

OK. I am Brazilian and cannot participate  in this, so what?
I don't buy tickets for the local lottery, simply because the chances of win is not worth the time spent to buy one...
Of course, I would complete the form to participate on this one.. I can't... I am not loosing a second of dream 'cause of it. This time world is not unfair in my favour, so better put my mind in other things.

Well there are ranters everywhere on the planet... And also bad readers who cant read the whole page and then aknowledge that LL is not the organizer of this contest. So rants have to go to the right place (Dell website) if needed,  not here.

Like if it was usual that website contest were international lmao... like if sending my mail a computer was free of charge lol.... 

Things that can be normally easily understood...but well, for some, ranting is a daily activity that probably prevent a normal use of the brain....

(On a side note, i know some big ranters from US aswell lol... )

@ Vania, i absolutely adore Calvin and Hobbes:smileywink:Thanks for this strip.

Vania Chaplin wrote:

OK. I am Brazilian and cannot participate  in this, so what?

I don't buy tickets for the local lottery, simply because the chances of win is not worth the time spent to buy one...

Of course, I would complete the form to participate on this one.. I can't... I am not loosing a second of dream 'cause of it. This time world is not unfair in my favour, so better put my mind in other things.

I don't think it is a big deal unless people make a big deal about it. As you stated you don't play the lottery, either do I. I also would not care about a contest that I could not enter for being in another country or here in the US, in a state or states that have laws that don't allow the state to participate. It would not bother me even if I dreamed of having whatever the prize was, there is just so much more to life and being petty on something I can't control, it isn't worth it. As you said, put your mind in other things because of things beyond our control, it doesn't mean it's unfair. It's life.

Trinity Yazimoto wrote:

Well there are ranters everywhere on the planet... And also bad readers who cant read the whole page and then aknowledge that LL is not the organizer of this contest. So rants have to go to the right place (Dell website) if needed,  not here.

Like if it was usual that website contest were international lmao... like if sending my mail a computer was free of charge lol.... 

Things that can be normally easily understood...but well, for some, ranting is a daily activity that probably prevent a normal use of the brain....

(On a side note, i know some big ranters from US aswell lol... )

@ Vania, i absolutely adore Calvin and Hobbes:smileywink:Thanks for this strip.

LOL is that like type before you read? :) and who are the big ranters from the US lmao, do I know them personally? haha

Malanya wrote:

BrainPhrozen Woodsheart wrote:

No people in other countries are apparently not worthy

Are you SERIOUS? I would suggest you educate yourself how contests run and rules and laws of countries before you join the poor me bandwagon.

I guess Linden Lab could have said to Dell/Alienware that unless they make something available to all the users world wide that they could keep their stinking offer.

Yes I am sure they could have, but cross promoting companies is how it usually works. I would say that if either of these companies were based somewhere other than the US it would be the same thing - marketing. To act like LL only cares about US residents is wrong. I said it before, I want to see an example of how LL treats US residents any better than anyone else around the globe?

Malanya wrote:

Yes I am sure they could have, but cross promoting companies is how it usually works. I would say that if either of these companies were based somewhere other than the US it would be the same thing - marketing. To act like LL only cares about US residents is wrong. I said it before, I want to see an example of how LL treats US residents any better than anyone else around the globe?

Exactly.  LL is a U.S. Company that has to deal with all the implications of not only U.S. but International laws also.  Sometimes this causes what appears to be unfair situations.  But it sure isn't intentional.  It's simply the consequence of all the legal junk.

Alienware made the promo available. Perhaps through their EU affiliate they could have made something available to people in the EU, and for people in South America through their affiliates there and for people in China they could have.........................oops, I think SL is blocked in China??????????

I was being a tad snarky in my post, I know.  Really, I'd love to see something available for all SL users.  But sometimes there are things that just aren't fair.   I still can't get that guy in Nigeria to send me that Half Million Dollars he promised me.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3989 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.