PC Graphics Card - Overclocked?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3959 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

One more question on the PC purchase...I promise. :matte-motes-big-grin:  I see some graphics cards advertised as "overclocked" or "OC" (which I assume means the same thing).  Are there any advantages/disadvantages to this?

While watching videos re: how to build PCs, one man who has many years experience working as a PC tech said that he would not build a PC for someone if they planned to "overclock" the CPU because he was not going to take responsibility for (something, forget exactly) "burning up."  Not sure if an overclocked GPU is similar, but thought I'd post here before making my final decsion.  Thank you all again for your wonderful input.

/wanders off mumbling "1 GB or 2 GB; 650, 650ti, overclocked, boost........"

Edit: GAH!  I must not have had enough caffeine before posting this...several typos and grammatical errors.

If it`s a retail card then it`s done by the manufactor and it has a slightly faster core/mem then the normal version, this is no problem as they tweaked the cooling for the higher performance and give full warrenty.

Usually the term is used more for people who make their hardware run faster then retail speed wich is where the problem starts trying to get a RMA as your running it faster then what it was sold.
I doubt i`ll get a RMA on my cpu even tho it`s been running fine for a year at 4.5ghz spoiler.png

i wouldnt buy an overclock, usually they increase the speed of the processors by increasing the voltage that goes to it, that causes the processor to be hotter, meaning that it needs a better cooling to stabilize it, but since the processor is over pushed of what it can do, the life of the processor is shorter, you are going to have to buy sooner another videocard than if you buy one that is clocked the way it was designed for.

Whether overclocking is "bad" depends on the circumstances. While nVIDIA guarantees correct operation of its chips within some operating envelope of parameters (voltage, temperature, speed, etc), there are tradeoffs between the parameters. There is some safety margin in the specifications to allow nVIDIA to be certain all devices will meet the spec, without needing to push every device into all corners of the operating envelope during test (imagine how much it would cost if you had to heat and cool every chip on the production line during testing).

It is generally the case that computer chips will operate at higher speeds if you lower their temperature and raise their operating voltage. A GPU card manufacturer might design an overclocked card with a cooling system that keeps the GPU much cooler than on a standard card. They may have negotiated with nVIDIA to do so, spending a bit more for the chips to cover additional testing or sorting or whatever it is that keeps the warranty burden with nVIDIA. They may take on the risk themselves, calculating that the added cooling will keep them out of trouble or that the added profit will more than cover increased warranty costs. You may also find that the card's maximum ambient operating temperature is lower than for a standard card. In that case, they've placed the added risk on your shoulders.

I don't know how you determine the circumstances of the overclocking. I would probably avoid such things unless provided by a reputable manufacturer with good reviews.

ETA: I was so busy sounding knowledgable, I forgot to answer your question! Overclocking results in the GPU working faster than at the standard frequency (whatever that is for the chip in question). So the advantage is higher frame rate. The disadvantage is higher price for the card and potential reliability problems if the card manufacturer didn't do their homework.

You can buy an oc`ed card if it`s from a manufactor as the cooling is designed for the higher temps :)

Just don`t overclock it your self at home, i`ve seen some bad oc attempts by people and they were glad their card only reached 108 celcius at wich we ofcourse wonderd how the hell it did survive benching without going into a meltdown with stock cooling :matte-motes-agape:

Just see if it`s within your budget or not much more expensive then the normal stock card and keep the money in your pocket ;)

My reply will of course be biased as I use overclocking extensively. In the past I overclocked a XFX Geforce 9800 GT+ Black Edition. Although it is no longer my primary computer, it has worked for close to 5 years with no problems whatsoever. When I used it for SL it performed flawlessly.

Currently I use a factory overclocked card that I again overclocked. So far so good and I doubt I will have any problems. If anyone out there is interested in overclocking, I recommend MSI Afterburner. This is freeware and possibly the best monitoring software to use. I would highly recommend that you read up on overclocking however before you try overclocking your card. As stated by others, damage can occur if you don’t know your systems limits.

Don’t let overclocking scare you. If done properly it works. As with everything; moderation is key.

Czari Zenovka wrote:

Thanks, everyone. :matte-motes-smile:  Based on your replies, I will play it safe and avoid an overclocked video card.

Current ETA for my PC - next Monday!!! Woot!!!

I'd better be ordering my graphics card, eh? :matte-motes-wink-tongue:

I can't wait for you to get your new comp :) Chistmas come early! When I return on Monday I hope to see your WOOHOO! post. Have a great weekend.

Suspiria Finucane wrote:

Czari Zenovka wrote:

Thanks, everyone. :matte-motes-smile:  Based on your replies, I will play it safe and avoid an overclocked video card.

I can't wait for you to get your new comp
:)
Chistmas come early! When I return on Monday I hope to see your WOOHOO! post. Have a great weekend.

Thanks :)  The delivery info I received said it would be delivered on Monday "by the end of the day," so when I receive it depends on the local UPS driver.  Then I will need to unbox it, make sure it arrived intact (I am amazed at the circuitous route my PC is taking), then begin the process of downloading my software, transferring data, etc. so I may not be WOOHOOing until Tuesday. ;)

Since I have yet to order the graphics card (although I finally know which one I'm going with), I'm not sure how SL will peform with the PC's onboard graphics, but plan to give it a try.

Getting closer!!!

Czari Zenovka wrote:

Suspiria Finucane wrote:

Czari Zenovka wrote:

I can't wait for you to get your new comp
Chistmas come early! When I return on Monday I hope to see your WOOHOO! post. Have a great weekend.

Thanks
  The delivery info I received said it would be delivered on Monday "by the end of the day," so when I receive it depends on the local UPS driver.  Then I will need to unbox it, make sure it arrived intact (I am amazed at the circuitous route my PC is taking), then begin the process of downloading my software, transferring data, etc. so I may not be WOOHOOing until Tuesday.
;)

Since I have yet to order the graphics card (although I finally know which one I'm going with), I'm not sure how SL will peform with the PC's onboard graphics, but plan to give it a try.

Getting closer!!!

Congrats on getting your new comp. I'm really happy for you!  Once you get the card a new virtual world awaits :matte-motes-wink-tongue:

PS Here's a high five you were looking for.

friends1.gif

Thank you so much, Suspiria, both for the congratulations and the high 5 smiley. :)  I went into SL briefly yesterday only running the onboard graphics and my experience was absolutely amazing compared to my former PC.  Can't even imagine how it will look with the new graphics card.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3959 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.