Objects Rezzed on Gov. Linden Ocean

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3966 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So I went down to "water level" of my parcel last night to check out how I wanted to position my new beach house after I acquire a PC capable of dealing with all the rezzed (many of which are scripted - waves and such) items.  My parcel is on a water sim, bordered on two sides by Linden oceans.  On one of the two sides, the ocean appears endless as the next sim is along distance away.  I had visions of watching sunsets while drinking Mai-Tais on my patio.

As I gazed out into the former wide expense of the ocean, I wondered if I had inadvertently increased my draw distance or my PC was having its last "Hurrah" in suddenly displaying graphics more clearly.  A short distance out in the water was a little cabana-type build, buoy, and blue-lit stick things in the water surrounding it.  Ok, I've lived on this parcel almost 6 years and am very familiar with the land/water lines of parcels and where the Linden oceans begin.  I flew out to have a closer look.

I hovered right on top of the cabana and checked the land tab; as I had suspected, Gov. Linden ocean.  I then checked the ownership of the cabana, buoy, and what appeared to be light lasers arising from the water.  A resident.  Okkkkaaayyy...why would someone plop down a build like this in the middle of Linden-owned land.  I checked the land tab again for building rights, which was confusing.  Rezzing items was allowed for "the group."  I clicked to the ownership tab again and checked "the group" - Gov. Linden.  Curiouser and curioser.

A land mass, which I'm sure I'd ever seen prior, or maybe it was recently terraformed to be a small hill rather than flat land, was close by.  I flew over to check it out.  Nothing at all on rezzed on the bit of land that bordered the far side of this build BUT - the land was owned by the same resident who owned the cabana.  Checked out the profile.  The resident rents out skyboxes that includes (paraphrased) open waters for you and your guests to rez and sail boats.  Ahhhhh...things are becoming clearer.  The buoy and light saber things surrounding the cabana now made boating sense.

My question still remains - how is it possible for someone to rez a build in Linden owned waters?  I'm assuming it would be similar in the cases I've seen on the forums where people rez items on Linden-owned land if there is no auto-return selected.

Going to have a closer look tonight and check out the parcel boundaries.  Oh the one hand, I always enjoyed the wide open ocean view of this parcel; on the other, watching boats sail by could be entertaining.

That sounds famliar, I think there is a build like that near the bay of space pigs.

If there are not object entry or autoreturn mistakes on the Linden parcel, then it is very likely that the cabana's root is on that other resident's land. It would be a large link set that stetches out into the ocean.  If this stuff is not phantom, or otherwise interfering with sailing, you could send in an AR ticket about it.  If it's not really getting in the way, you could let it be of course.

Madelaine McMasters wrote:

Could that resident have mounted that buoy at the end of a large, invisible prim located on their land and extending into the Linden Land?

@Maddy & Cerise - I didn't even think of the invisprim angle; I bet that's exactly it.  I had the same issue with a new neighbor in back of me last year who had a mega-invisiprim that stretched into my parcel.  When I talked to him he was very apologetic and moved it, saying that, since nothing was rezzed on my parcel, he didn't think it was owned. (Never mind the parcel clearly states ownership.)  He said he didn't even think of someone living in the sky, as I have been, one of the reasons being extremely low-frame rates on my current PC with all the builds on the sim at water level.

As far as letting it go - I'm of two minds:  People purchase parcels for all kinds of reasons and unobstructed waterfront views are one of the last expensive parcels in SL.  Also, using a megaprim with the root on one's land is a sneaky way to "offer" tenants a perk that could just as easily have been offered without putting the build out there since the owner's parcel also borders the ocean.

Czari Zenovka wrote:

Could that resident have mounted that buoy at the end of a large, invisible prim located on their land and extending into the Linden Land?

@Maddy & Cerise - I didn't even think of the invisprim angle; I bet that's exactly it.  I had the same issue with a new neighbor in back of me last year who had a mega-invisiprim that stretched into my parcel.  When I talked to him he was very apologetic and moved it, saying that, since nothing was rezzed on my parcel, he didn't think it was owned. (Never mind the parcel clearly states ownership.)  He said he didn't even think of someone living in the sky, as I have been, one of the reasons being extremely low-frame rates on my current PC with all the builds on the sim at water level.

As far as letting it go - I'm of two minds:  People purchase parcels for all kinds of reasons and unobstructed waterfront views are one of the last expensive parcels in SL.  Also, using a megaprim with the root on one's land is a sneaky way to "offer" tenants a perk that could just as easily have been offered without putting the build out there since the owner's parcel also borders the ocean.

I'd be happy to stop over and set a huge bonfire on an invislble plank you could extend over the buoy!

I wouldn't let it go.  I'd AR it.  If this kind of thing is allowed and other people see it, it will encourage them to do the same.  Give people an inch and they take a mile so it could lead to the ocean being littered with stuff sticking out of parcels.  It could also lead uninformed tenants of his feeling like they have special rights in that part of the ocean, since he's advertising it as a perk.

The presence of that cabana and buoy isn't going to make a difference in boats sailing by your place for you to watch.  If your lot is next to a lot of open water you'll see that anyway once you can increase your draw distance. 

I went over to the area to take a closer look and, since it is currently difficult for me to move around much in that area (found out my frame rate was 3.8 :matte-motes-sour:), asked a friend to come check it out as well.  The whole cabana island, complete with its own rippling water (I don't get people rezzing water on top of water) and surrounded by jutting rocks with waves is indeed on a mega-prim but, to my great surprise, when I de-rendered water and turned on property lines, the square it sits on is indeed a parcel owned by the person who rents the skyhouses.

I am really puzzled now.  The water sim (where I live) is bordered on two sides by Linden ocean; one side is opposite a land sim with a bit of ocean in between and the other by (formerly) unobstructed ocean.  I live on the corner parcel where these two sides intersect.  This presumably new parcel in question is literally cut out of the middle of the ocean on the unobstructed side.  In close to 6 years I have never seen that parcel for sale; indeed, it's odd because it's a small parcel sitting by itself out in the ocean, completely surrounded by Linden ocean, but close to the land mass on the opposite side from my sim, which I also don't recall ever seeing previously.  (I forgot to check that out more closely.)  It makes absolutely no sense that LL would create a small water parcel in the middle of the ocean.

So now I'm wondering if the owner asked for the parcel to be created.  Can that even be done?  I definitely plan to investigate this more carefully, especially when I can move around more freely...lol.

Some of the mega-prim's water and the blue light stick things are encroaching a bit into the Linden ocean parcel so my friend and I both AR'd it, but I am just amazed that there is an apparent parcel now in the middle of the ocean legitimately owned by a resident.

Has anyone ever heard of LL doing anything like that?

Czari Zenovka wrote:

I'd be happy to stop over and set a huge bonfire on an invislble plank you could extend over the buoy!

LOL!  Considering that most of this structure now appears to be "legit" I doubt we can do that.  I'm thinking up some other options, however. :matte-motes-wink:

Suspiria Finucane wrote:

Czari Zenovka wrote: but I am just amazed that there is an apparent parcel now in the middle of the ocean legitimately owned by a resident.

Has anyone ever heard of LL doing anything like that?

Back in the day you could pick your location. Not sure how it works now.

I haven't heard of that nice since LL did away with First Land; not to say it doesn't happen.  Just this parcel in the middle of the ocean is bizarre.

Edit: I meant "since" not "nice."

If the landlord owns a lot of land in SL, LL may have cooperated with a request to give him a small plot in the ocean.  Money talks with LL.  Those paying thousands in tiers to them have a much louder voice than the rest of us and get perks like this.  It's something that isn't advertised widely but it does go on. 

Amethyst Jetaime wrote:

If the landlord owns a lot of land in SL, LL may have cooperated with a request to give him a small plot in the ocean.  Money talks with LL.  Those paying thousands in tiers to them have a much louder voice than the rest of us and get perks like this.  It's something that isn't advertised widely but it does go on. 

Sounds logical, Amethyst.  I generally think of these kind of perks as only applying to an estate land baron, but I suppose it could apply to mainland as well.  Or perhaps the owner has estate  sims as well.  At least it's in keeping with the ambiance of the surrounding sims and a nice build, not like the time years ago when someone thought a pavilion up on a high platform, complete with a spiral staircase and adorned at the top with a pink grand piano was a "lovely" addition to the center of our sim...lol.

Knutz Scorpio wrote:

In "About Land" there is listed the date the current owner took possession of the parcel, in the lower left I believe.  Give you an idea if he just purchased it or had it for a while.

Oh thank you...never noticed that before...will definitely check it out. :)

Knutz Scorpio wrote:

In "About Land" there is listed the date the current owner took possession of the parcel, in the lower left I believe.  Give you an idea if he just purchased it or had it for a while.

That number isn't entirely reliable though. I've seen it be set days in the past on land that has been in the hands of the owner for years.

jwenting wrote:

Knutz Scorpio wrote:

That number isn't entirely reliable though. I've seen it be set days in the past on land that has been in the hands of the owner for years.

Could that be due to the owner merging a newer purchased parcel with their older one?

Again, very appreciative of everyone who took the time to post.  Since I just ordered my new PC (YEAAAAAAA!!!), and due to having a current frame rate of 3.8 (I think that's what it was, or 8.3...anyway, abysmal) when I go down to land level to check things out, will investigate further when new PC is set up.

Based on the second time I checked the area out with a friend (who was getting decent fps), the land is apparently owned by the individual, a small bit of the mega jutting into Gov. Linden ocean notwithstanding.  At this point I'm just interested and intrigued from having lived there so long and never seeing anything built there.

Before long I'll be sipping frozen Pina Coladas on the patio of my beach house while watching the boats go by. :)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3966 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.