Selling old clothes

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4051 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

yes, you can sell them.

at some conditions :

-- you need to have transfert perms on them

-- list them in the "used item" category in the mp

-- use a magic box for them (the merchant outbox wont work for limited items)

-- set the quantity to limited and tell how many you want to sell.

For anything else, read here : http://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/Selling-in-the-Marketplace/ta-p/700193

Trinity Yazimoto wrote:

yes, you can sell them.

at some conditions :

For anything else, read here : 

Weren't magic boxes phased out completely so they no longer work?

iCade wrote:

Trinity Yazimoto wrote:

yes, you can sell them.

at some conditions :

For anything else, read here : 

Weren't magic boxes phased out completely so they no longer work?

no

they still work for limited items bec the merchant outbox cant handle them.

its the only way for limited item for now, till they find a way to make them work with merchant outbox.

now... it seems to not being possible to find magic box in the mp anymore... so there must be a way, maybe asking via a ticket...  but the ones who have already magic boxes in their inventory can use them for limited items.

Trinity Yazimoto wrote:

-- list them in the "
used item
" category in the mp

I got a good chuckle out of this :matte-motes-wink-tongue: It's digital data after all! I suppose some parts could be missing but honestly, if the listing shows what the content is, the buyer knows what they are getting.

I know it isn't your description so this isn't geared towards you.

Suspiria Finucane wrote:

Trinity Yazimoto wrote:

-- list them in the "
used item
" category in the mp

I got a good chuckle out of this :matte-motes-wink-tongue: It's digital data after all! I suppose some parts could be missing but honestly, if the listing shows what the content is, the buyer knows what they are getting.

lol yes, thinking thru the digital thing make it fun :smileywink:

but well, there is a "used items" category in the mp lol

maybe it can be relevant bec the first owner may have mess with the prims for example (ie, to fit perfectly a skirt on her avatar) and so its not exactly like the original then. 

Anyway its always better to list used items in this category, that way its more frank and pp dont mistake with regular items from stores.

I once tried selling some used clothing and furniture and random things.

I had to take a photo of each thing, since almost no creations in SL already come with a photo. Also I didn't used to save the box it came in, besides, some creators make the box non transferable.

So just the photo taking took a while. Then I had to edit the photo to make sure it was close up and all the details were showing on the box. Then I had to put text in the photo and a price. By the time I got done doing all of that for 10 or 15 things, it took a few hours.

Then I put the photos on a prim and put the things in that prim. Then I priced the prim and put it on my land. Most of a day gone by the time it was all done.

I did not sell a single thing.

There are lots of things I'd love to get rid of and make a few $L but when I look at it like that? By the time I put out 100 things like that? What amount of time would it take, and photo uploads, and how much money would I make? Probably less than $50 total if I'm lucky. That's, what, 25 cents?

I'd rather think I could find that much on the sidewalk, but good luck to you anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

Or you could box them up to give to 'newbies' although with how many freebies are available now, it's harder to find a newbie who really is a newbie (not an alt) or wants a freebie from an avatar. Most places warn against newbies accepting things from strangers anyway (just like real life, heh) because too many people trick newbies with bad items (spam, grief, etc.)

Maybe a freebie place or NCI would take the things...or you could list some on marketplace but, yes it's a lot of work for little reward.

I'm not sure you'd have any success selling clothes that are five or more years old.  That is an eternity in SL,  tastes.  fashions  and quality has changed somewhat.  If you could they'd have to be very cheap and so I'm not sure its worth the time and effort preparing them for sale. 

Note on MP list them as used or run the risk of having someone accuse you of stealing content.

If your goal is just to get them out of your inventory why not put them in a box or two and gift them to a newb who may not have L's to buy anything.  They are probably better than a lot of the things given to them in Freebie stores.

The whole 'used/unused' thing does not make a lot of sense in SL, as has already been pointed out. Taking the time to put them in a sellable fashion and placing them in a store inworld or on the MP will probably not reward you for the time spent.

Giving them away might, though. In my house when we have clothes/stuff we know we won't wear or use but that is still perfectly good (even new, sometimes: presents, etc) they go to Goodwill, a US charity that gets a lot of its funding from reselling items that have been donated. I don't know of anything like that in SL but I do know that many people find newcomers needing things and donate them. The Forum Cartel Hangout has a ton of stuff like that; I'm sure there are other places you could give them to.

The first person I met and actually really got to know when I started here—Joanna, my first mentor—kept giving me stuff. It was embarassing! I finally had to ask her to stop giving me so much stuff. Of course at the time I didn't know anything at all about copy/trans, plus it was probably inventory she never planned to use.

New people always appreciate getting new clothes or other things. If and when I am ready to bail or find myself with more unwanted stuff than I can handle, I'll probably hunt down a place that provides things for new residents, give them all my stuff, and let them sort it out. But if you think you might enjoy taking a mentor route, you could emulate Joanna. SL can always use more like her.

• Like 1

Dillon Levenque wrote:

The whole 'used/unused' thing does not make a lot of sense in SL, as has already been pointed out. Taking the time to put them in a sellable fashion and placing them in a store inworld or on the MP will probably not reward you for the time spent.

Giving them away might, though. In my house when we have clothes/stuff we know we won't wear or use but that is still perfectly good (even new, sometimes: presents, etc) they go to Goodwill, a US charity that gets a lot of its funding from reselling items that have been donated. I don't know of anything like that in SL but I do know that many people find newcomers needing things and donate them. The Forum Cartel Hangout has a ton of stuff like that; I'm sure there are other places you could give them to.

The first person I met and actually really got to know when I started here—Joanna, my first mentor—kept giving me stuff. It was embarassing! I finally had to ask her to stop giving me so much stuff. Of course at the time I didn't know anything at all about copy/trans, plus it was probably inventory she never planned to use.

New people always appreciate getting new clothes or other things. If and when I am ready to bail or find myself with more unwanted stuff than I can handle, I'll probably hunt down a place that provides things for new residents, give them all my stuff, and let them sort it out. But if you think you might enjoy taking a mentor route, you could emulate Joanna. SL can always use more like her.

A thrift shop in SL would be fantastic lol Getting enough things donated for turnaround would probably be the big showstopper there.

Suspiria Finucane wrote:

Trinity Yazimoto wrote:

-- list them in the "
used item
" category in the mp

IMO, the main reason that category exists is that items are being resold by customers to whom LL doesn't provide the same level of *coughs* safety for customers who purchase from merchants.  A reseller is under no obligation to provide instructions (in the case of gadgets and/or scripted items), support, etc.  Again, not that merchants *are* (ie Resident-to-Resident disputes as far as LL is concerned) but a merchant that doesn't want a bad reputation is going to work with customers.

When I've purchased items from the "Used" category (at least the last time I did years ago), a big red warning pops up stating basically "Buy at Your Own Risk" and LL takes absolutely no responsibility for the item, etc.

Melita Magic wrote:

I once tried selling some used clothing and furniture and random things.

I had to take a photo of each thing, since almost no creations in SL already come with a photo. Also I didn't used to save the box it came in, besides, some creators make the box non transferable.

So just the photo taking took a while. Then I had to edit the photo to make sure it was close up and all the details were showing on the box. Then I had to put text in the photo and a price. By the time I got done doing all of that for 10 or 15 things, it took a few hours.

Then I put the photos on a prim and put the things in that prim. Then I priced the prim and put it on my land. Most of a day gone by the time it was all done.

I did not sell a single thing.

There are lots of things I'd love to get rid of and make a few $L but when I look at it like that? By the time I put out 100 things like that? What amount of time would it take, and photo uploads, and how much money would I make? Probably less than $50 total if I'm lucky. That's, what, 25 cents?

I'd rather think I could find that much on the sidewalk, but good luck to you anyway.

I've actually had the reverse situation.  I've sold used items on both the MP prior to becoming a merchant as well as holding yard sales.  I sold a LOT of items in yard sales *and* advertised the sales under events.  I had people dropping out of the sky.

Which is, interestingly, how I named my eventual store.  I put a skybox above my home and placed the yard sale items there.  I used a simple visitor counter so I could determine how many people came by and used the greeting, "Welcome to Czari's Attic."  I called the area my "attic" because it was above my home.  When contemplating a name for my store, I stayed with it. :)

Jewel Laurasia wrote:

Dillon Levenque wrote:

A thrift shop in SL would be fantastic lol Getting enough things donated for turnaround would probably be the big showstopper there.

At one time I found an amazing, quaint second-hand store in SL.  This was probably in 2008.  It was one of those cozy, homey type shops I love and all the decorations/furnishings were used items for sale.  I took some items to sell to the owner for her store but for her to make a profit the amount she offered was so low that I held my own yard sales.

I used to go there periodically to shop but the store eventually vanished.  It would be interesting if anything like that still exists in SL.

Personally, since I dislike mesh clothing with a passion, I would be the type to purchase older clothing, especially if any had a vintage/medieval/Victorian look to them.

well this give me ideas..

there is long time now i wanted to make something like this.. i have tons of items i never use anymore and i wanted to make something, but more like a meeting where everyone will be able to show what they have to give away and just give to pp who wants them, without asking money. 

idk... 

or at really really low price...

ill keep thinking about this, and if some wants to join this idea, let me know :smileywink:

Perrie Juran wrote:

Most of the yard sales I have seen have been nothing but regurgitated freebies.

But I have seen a few awesome ones. 

It's been a while since I been to any.  I need to go check a few out again.

Besides my own (which was awesome, of course - NO freebies sold - only items I had purchased), the only other yard sales I've shopped were connected to an event such as RFL, or as part of a hunt.  OH!  When I was brand new in SL and before holding my own yard sales, The Forum Cartel held a yard sale and I placed a few items there.

I agree there is a lot of junk and junky yardsales, but the few gems are lots of fun!

Trinity Yazimoto wrote:

well this give me ideas..

there is long time now i wanted to make something like this.. i have tons of items i never use anymore and i wanted to make something, but more like a meeting where everyone will be able to show what they have to give away and just give to pp who wants them, without asking money. 

idk... 

or at really really low price...

ill keep thinking about this, and if some wants to join this idea, let me know :smileywink:

Hi Trinity. :matte-motes-smile:  As I mentioned in my previous post, there are groups that hold yard sales and allow members to participate.  Something similar to a "Neighborhood Yard Sale" that I see in RL where an entire housing community holds a huge sale twice a year or so could be done in some fashion in SL.  I don't mean that huge or a "neighborhood" but friends coming together and selling their items.  A mixed item sale (ie. clothes, different styles of clothes, furnishings, etc.) generally draw more people.

This thread has made me think of some items I would like to sell as well.  I was thinking of listing them on the MP in the Used section, but a group sale would be fun!

Phil Deakins wrote:

I want to give away my virginity. Can I come to the meet?

Hey Trinity!  Phil is "volunteering" again.  Since we have yet to set things up for his last "request" - we could incorporate the two. *Evil grin*

Adding to this idea: Since viriginity is not only rare but a "one-time" deal, we could either hold a raffle where we sell tickets and the winning ticket "wins" - or we could hold an auction - highest bidder "wins."

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4051 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.