Someday SL might look this good...

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4003 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Melita Magic wrote:

Why do so many MMO or whatever, have to be violent, though? I don't want to kill things. I don't want to fight things. I want to make beautiful happy spaces Lol.

Not to be off topic, but other gamers even in my circles of shooters have asked that too. One option is the games like Civilization, no killing there.

But maybe we'll see some with some different objectives someday. So far, game studios are afraid to deviate from the tried and true "Go over there and kill that thing" to make sales.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alicia Sautereau wrote:

You do know that SSB will be a huge step forward? (if it works)

But if you desire to lag, just set shadow quality to 4 and enjoy your tropical room ^^

Yes, SSB is a step in the right direction, but there's so much more that can be done.

By the way, visibly there's very little difference between 1 and 4, but even at 4, I can still get 40+ FPS.

I can get 40+ FPS. Get was the key word.

The average is much lower, closer to 20. Depends on location. The point is of this thread, the average should be 40 or more, not 20, if we were running an optimized viewer with solid DirectX and other modern hardware support.

Gadget Portal wrote:

Why should we limit everyone to terrible graphics support just because some people can't or won't get decent computers?

Why should a whole bunch of residents/users be forced to upgrade their hardware and Internet connection just because some people get all hot and trembly with superfine realistic graphics?

This has been a constant theme with you: upgrade or GTFO. I can (sort of) understand it if you're in some online game with partners on a mission and it requires quick responses. You might lose patience with someone who keeps saying, "Wait up, I can't see it yet.". Okay, fine.

A lot of that matters very little to a whole lot of people in SL. I am hardly a social butterfly but I have enough friends who are active in SL that it's very rare for me to log in without some of them online and doing something and I often get dragged along. None of them seem to get particularly lathered up about the graphics here, even though the group includes SL creators and some quite graphic intensive (i.e. image-talented) people. Our interest is primarily in each other. I don't believe we are at all unique in that attitude.

Dillon Levenque wrote:

Gadget Portal wrote:

Why should we limit everyone to terrible graphics support just because some people can't or won't get decent computers?

Why should a whole bunch of residents/users be forced to upgrade their hardware and Internet connection just because some people get all hot and trembly with superfine realistic graphics?

This has been a constant theme with you: upgrade or GTFO. I can (sort of) understand it if you're in some online game with partners on a mission and it requires quick responses. You might lose patience with someone who keeps saying, "Wait up, I can't see it yet.". Okay, fine.

A lot of that matters very little to a whole lot of people in SL. I am hardly a social butterfly but I have enough friends who are active in SL that it's very rare for me to log in without some of them online and doing something and I often get dragged along. None of them seem to get particularly lathered up about the graphics here, even though the group includes SL creators and some quite graphic intensive (i.e. image-talented) people. Our interest is primarily in each other. I don't believe we are at all unique in that attitude.

Apparently you didn't read the paragraph after the one you quoted. Here, let me copy and paste it for you.

"Let me rephrase that. Person A can run SL in ultra with ubersampling anti-aliasing and DX11 while Person B runs on medium with OpenGL, for example. No one gets excluded, and SL gets to take advantage of the ridiculous hardware that some of us have."

Oh look, I just nullified two thirds of what you said. That means the rest isn't even worth reading.

Gadget Portal wrote:

I can 
get
40+ FPS. Get was the key word.

The average is much lower, closer to 20. Depends on location. The point is of this thread, the average should be 40 or more, not 20, if we were running an optimized viewer with solid DirectX and other modern hardware support.

And there is the catch, "CAN GET"

I run around the grid on high settings both ingame and nvidia control panel with around ~40fps

I turn shadows to 4.0, my fps drops to ~16

I CAN get 120fps flat out ANYWHERE and run another couple of client for the lols

This whole thread is based on a bunch of cans

True, there are some people with those computers but the numbers are scarce since not many people here want to or can't buy a deity possessed computer. I do agree with you somewhat but not fully since 1. I like beautiful graphics but they don't make a game any more fun which i know you are not saying btw. but SL is not a game which you can argue. however I see it as more of a SOCIAL game but meh. so I don't really care as long as graphics aren't butt-ugly. 2. Compared to other VW's we are SPOILED with what we have and I too used to play MMOs and still do but stopped investing alot of time cause I kinda had that thought in my mind of once you complete all the tasks what do you do with all the stuff you bought with actual money. But in SL there is no end unless LL decides to make one. You can come in whenever you like, chat, build, explore, or whatever. It's kinda like Facebook but more immersive and you're enjoying yourself.

SLtesterL2 wrote:

When is SSB taking affect exactly?
:)

Soon™. The official viewer that can handle it is close to release, several third party viewers are ready too. Once there is plenty of access to compatible viewers, they can think about switching the servers over.

It's not really going to change anything about lag, this change is really about reliability.

Firestorm 4.blah blah blah supports it. (SSB).

I'm using it. Theres been talk of fog. Yes F O G.

Not smog, fog already. I've noticed it. It's like.. oh gee.. fog basically.

What is this anyways a cheeseography thread? 0.0 lolliez.

and yes Sueella, firestorm 4.rahrah with SSB

supports cheese :) Lots of it ahehe.gif

\o_

ps: this merlot is awesome.

Gadget Portal wrote:

Apparently you didn't read the paragraph after the one you quoted. Here, let me copy and paste it for you.

"Let me rephrase that. Person A can run SL in ultra with ubersampling anti-aliasing and DX11 while Person B runs on medium with OpenGL, for example. No one gets excluded, and SL gets to take advantage of the ridiculous hardware that some of us have."

Oh look, I just nullified two thirds of what you said. That means the rest isn't even worth reading.

Oh, I read the paragraph in question. I usually read everything before I comment (unlike you, apparently). My point about switching to DirectX was, "Why should they?". Seems to me it would serve only to gratify those of you with 'ridiculous hardware'. I don't see that as something advantageous to Second Life. It's been pointed out times without number that a lot of the graphic issues related to Second Life could be minimized by creators having a better understanding of what it's all about—that to me is a FAR more important way to improve the experience for all of us. I'd much rather see LL working on some serious tutorials than changing things to suit those of you who can't seem to enjoy Second Life because 'the graphics' aren't as zoomy as some video game.

Melita Magic wrote:

Why do so many MMO or whatever, have to be violent, though? I don't want to kill things. I don't want to fight things. I want to make beautiful happy spaces Lol.

I do wish SL would upgrade a bit more gradually. I've never thought about changing computers for anything else but SL. And yet there are alwasy still performance problems. I don't know what the answer is, but it doesn't seem efficient.

But then the basic game is free to play as Leprekhaun said.

And to me it's both a game and a virtual world as both are entwined in SL, before anyone gets hot about the word 'game.' 

I never played it, but does anyone know if "Myst" had fighting in it?  I know it's an old game and I *think* solo-player (which I prefer anyway - I generally solo in MMORPGs as well...just my style).

@Melita - Some of the players in WoW have come up with some interesting variations to keep the game fresh.  Invariably over time people will start complaining that a game is "too easy."  In WoW, there two options to make the game more challenging, at least two that I know of:

1. The Ironman Challenge - In a nutshell, this is a challenge to level up without dying AT ALL, and with a LOT of restrictions such as: Must play solo with no help from anyone, no grouping, can only use items (clothing & weapons) one personally loots and they have to be "white" or "gray" (meaning items with lesser "stats"); no stat-enhancing potions/foods/jewels, etc.  There's a lot more rules but it is definitely a challenge.  There is an entire WoW "culture" built around this and a website on which to register that "knows" when a character has died and is sent to the Hero's graveyard.  Then one has to start allll over.  I met a woman who was doing this challenge when I first began WoW - I lost track of how many times she had to start over, but she eventually made it.  I think I'd lose patience with this since I used dying as a strategy sometimes...lol.

2. Now this one is lesser-known and not as popular, but would suit you and me - the pacifist approach to leveling.  In this one you can't kill anything.  The way to level is by performing certain tasks in WoW that don't require killing and to choose trades that help gain experience.

When I was playing regularly a woman had begun a guild for this type of player.  If I play again, I may try this method.

SLtesterL2 wrote:

True, there are some people with those computers but the numbers are scarce since not many people here want to or can't buy a deity possessed computer. I do agree with you somewhat but not fully since
1. I like beautiful graphics but they don't make a game any more fun
which i know you are not saying btw. but SL is not a game which you can argue. however I see it as more of a SOCIAL game but meh. so
I don't really care as long as graphics aren't butt-ugly
. 2.

(Bolding mine)

I have been running SL at 64m draw distance my ENTIRE time on SL and it has not affected what *I* enjoy in SL which is social interaction.  It will be fun to turn my draw distance up a bit more "soon," but as many have already mentioned - killer graphics, for me, are not the essence of SL. 

There are so many other virtual worlds out there. I wouldn't mind receiving some info on them on a note card in world if anyone feels like doing that and has the time. I mean, so many, and I'd rather have info from someone like us who's tried them on the user end, than visit websites which of course, are advertising. 

Because someone told me once that everything in advertising isn't true. What? I was so shocked...!

Anyway Lol.

I didn't know that about WoW Czari. I'm looking for something immersive at the moment. My post got lost on another thread that has since submerged from the front GD forum page but, I meant it when I said if LL's official policy is that BDSM play is tolerated with child avatars, I am out of here pdq. I am still waiting for that to be confirmed and hoping they were misquoted.

I agree with you that #1 might work for me in ways but would or could also be frustrating; I'm not much for Sisyphean tasks. # 2 soudns more like me. I recall trying Everquest, I think it was, ages ago and being attacked almost immediately. Didn't matter to them that I wasn't armed; they were PKs (player killers; killed for fun, which, yes, probably is accurate to the Middle Ages or even today in some cases; but NOT fun. I won't actually pay for the 'privilege' of feeling terrified or stressed.)

Phew, anyway...

I've always run SL on low graphics settings too. I wish I could see it on a top of the line machine but that will have to wait.

ETA: 2 links

Melita Magic wrote:

I recall trying Everquest, I think it was, ages ago and being attacked almost immediately. DIdn't matter to them that I wasn't armed; tehy were PKs (player killers; killed for fun, which, yes, probably is accurate to the Middle Ages or even today in some cases; but NOT fun. I won't actually pay for the 'privilege' of feeling terrified or stressed.)

Everquest was the first game of its type I ever played; well, and only one of two since WoW is the only other one.  Like the way I found SL later on, I was introduced to EQ by my friends in an IRC rp group.  Three of us joined together and didn't have a clue as to what we were doing.  I managed to drown about three times before I actually created an avatar that stayed alive for more than 5 minutes...lol.  I can relate to the dying.  You must have been on a PvP (Player vs. Player) server because on the regular servers other players cannot kill you.  I've never had enough courage to even peek into a PvP server since I'd be a goner immediately.

I ended up playing EQ for about 7 years continuously.  A year or so ago I was getting antsy in SL so I started playing EQ again, met a guy there who introduced me to WoW and I tried their free trial.  (You can play for free up to level 20, iirc.)  I was hooked after the free trial.  Then I started missing SL and returned her and haven't been to EQ or WoW in the past year. (I tend to be an "all or nothing" kind of person.)  I'm thinking of playing WoW again soon; may do that while I'm waiting on a new PC - even on my dinosaur both games run very well - WoW pretty much flawlessly.

Thank you for that additional information.

I wonder if many of us 'immersive types' are all or nothing types? I don't know if I'm all or nothing but, I do like to commit, and I do like crucial things to be transparent. Hence my ethical dilemma at the moment. I'm holding back until I know what the facts really are, since it was not from LL directly, and the person had their own opinion on that matter etc.

I think it must make a difference if one knows people in a virtual platform before joining. I recall wandering around Everquest's world, lost, as many 'newbies' say they do on first joining SL.

I think I tried going in a few times, it never got better. I don't recall the person succeeding in killing my avatar just that they tried, and kept trying. There was a controversy at the time about PKs and why the platform allowed them to proliferate.

Companies never learn that customer service is #1 do they?

There is no way a player can kill another person or even do any damage on a non-PvP server, which now sounds like you were on if you weren't killed.  What you may be referring to is something called "Kill Stealing."  There may be another word for this but it's the only one that comes to mind at the moment.  This is when one is in the process of killing a target and someone else comes along, kills it, then takes the loot.  Stealing camps was another biggie when I played EQ.  It's nothing that SoE, the company that owns EQ can really do anything about but, although EQ may seem like a big world, word of someone who constantly does stuff like that gets around and soon finds him or herself "person non grata."  In my 7 years+ on EQ I experienced very good CS as well as on WoW.

I transferred my avatars from the server on which I began to the Firiona Vie server which is the roleplay server.  Now it's not much different than the other servers but back in the day it had some interesting rules that made it a lot of fun for those of us who enjoy RP.  I really wish I had known about that server when I began SL but, by the time I did, I had developed several characters, was in a guild, and had made friends so I didn't want to start over.  I don't think one could transfer at the time but, if so, I wouldn't have left due to the guild/friends.

Dang!  I'd been mulling playing WoW again in my mind and try to keep resisting.  This conversation isn't making it easy...lol.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4003 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.