set home login screen does not change when a new set home is made.

Jema Lilliehook

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1137 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

10 answers to this question

Hello again, Jema.

I just tested this, and you are absolutely right!

Firstly, the photo that saves to your hard drive as screen_home is the one that comes up on your viewer's screen when you log into your home location.  It should change, and it did used to change to the last view of the last occasion you were at your home location. However, it seems it does not any more.

Moving house and setting a new home point would not normally make a difference. It is the actual action of being at your home location that should cause the viewer to create a new screen_home photo to save over the old/previous one that was saved to your hard drive.  It looks like Linden Lab may have changed something when they updated the viewer for this latest version, and you are possibly the only one who has noticed that the log in photo for home does not change, because you have moved homes in the meantime.

I normally use Firestorm, which gives me just a black screen with a Firestorm information message as I log in, but when I log in with the Second Life viewer to my home location, the photograph that comes up on the screen is indeed a very old photo of me in a very old outfit standing inside my little house.  I rarely log in to my home location, and so did not notice this was happening before you mentioned it for the third time on these forums and I did a test.  Strangely though the screen_last changes each time.

As it is not a bug, and is probably not bothering a large proportion of people, I don't know if Linden Lab would deem it necessary to do anything about it, but you could attempt submitting a JIRA and ask if they will look into it for you. https://jira.secondlife.com/secure/Dashboard.jspa

There is no such thing as a "set home login screen". When you login and specify "Home" as the place to arrive, the image that will show is the image that was saved the last time you logged in at "Home", wherever home was then.  Similarly, when you specify that you want to log in at "last location", you see the image that was saved when you left that location the previous time.

I admit I hadn't used Viewer 3 in a while, because I am addicted to the windlight settings and features of Firestorm (and still love my old Phoenix viewer, because that runs faster and is easier for my ham fists to navigate).

I felt like a proper charley (fool) when I realised it had taken the OP three attempts to get me to understand exactly what she was meaning. I tried every which way I could think of to get that log-in-to-home screen bitmap to change. I think its just something LL have overlooked, because few people take much notice of their log in screen, especially on viewers where the destination guide comes up and distracts us with shiny new destinations, and then you get the familiar (bong) of multiple IMs and group notices coming in.

Obviously the OP has noticed this happening the most, because she wants to see her new home on her home log in screen, not her old home. It could be rather upsetting to someone who has had a bad break up or who associates an old home location with sadness and so changed their home location.

I'm droning - need more coffee ! LOL

jema I dont have the answer but the reply button seems to be missing on this thread. I have the SAME LOGIN HOME SCREEN problem. and it irritates me quite a bit. not only is it showing the OLD HOME I used to live in but it shows my avatar the in her old UNupdated version. 

and yes, it is a bug because this should change everytime you set home. especially when you move as I do every now and then. seriously makes me nuts. if you have heard of a way to force it to retake the image please share.

The repair is simple... Locate the image screen_home.bmp which is the image used when you first log in.  It should be in either C:\Users\Username\AppData\Roaming\SecondLife\AV Name or  C:\Users\Username\AppData\Local\SecondLife\AV Name (where Username is the User name on your PC account, and AV Name is your avatar name)  and delete it. The next time you update our home location, it should create a new image. Worked for me! Hope it helps you too...

• Like 2

alot of people will try to go around the question etc, idk why they love to do this on these forums but basically put your picture infront of you before you go and set home and then voila log off and log back in and your new splash screen is set, image.thumb.png.2f0a06230ffbdfb5c6f5902966e81894.png

• Confused 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1137 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.