Thighs

Sephina Frostbite

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4050 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

The sliders that affect height are: Height, Torso Length, Leg Length, Neck Length, and Hip Length. Moving juse one changes the proportions of the avatar; you'll need to adjust most or all of them to decrease (or increase) height proportionally.

You can also play with Body Thickness, Body Fat, and Saddlebags. I might be missing one or two, other than leg muscles, but those are the ones that come to mind. You may or may not get the EXACT proportions of your current avatar, but you can probably come pretty close.

If I understand you right, you look too wide when you sized down? Take in Body Thickness, Hip width and Shoulders. If you only move the hip width, the shouldes are too wide. I hope I remember right, not logged in at the moment. I think you might need to take in saddlebags a little bit too.

To make it more complicated, the sliders does not work smooth. You can move a slider without noticing anything happen, and then suddenly a "jump". 

When I want to scale a shape up or down, I always adjust both the height and the body thickness. If you just scale the height down it'll appear to make your shape chubbier, and if you only scale the height up it will make her look lanky. If you adjust the body thickness in the same way you can keep the proportions. :) If you're doing it by a lot though (more than 10 or so points on the slider) I would recommend also scaling down the muscle on the legs and arms a few points.

Jade Glazner wrote:

When I want to scale a shape up or down, I always adjust both the height and the body thickness. If you just scale the height down it'll appear to make your shape chubbier, and if you only scale the height up it will make her look lanky. If you adjust the body thickness in the same way you can keep the proportions.
:)
If you're doing it by a lot though (more than 10 or so points on the slider) I would recommend also scaling down the muscle on the legs and arms a few points.

Thank you ladies. My body looks okay but my legs and calves look like tree trunks. I would have bought a new avi but I love my avi and couldnt imagine looking any different. 

You could try this:

Record the values for your shape right now, particularly your face values.

"Buy" one of the free "proportional" avatar kits, such as this one. The tallest of the female shapes included in that package is 6 feet; the smallest is just under 5 feet.

Wear one of those shapes, whichever one suits you heightwise. You may want to go a little shorter than you want to end up, so you have more room to adjust.

Input the face values for your current shape that you love.

Now start fiddling with the sliders again. Sometimes it helps to have an already-short base to start with; now you can adjust the rest of the sliders to suit you, and get something close to the proportions of your current avatar. (Remember that for a shorter avatar, you might have to decrease overall head size slightly to keep it in proportion.)

Sephina Frostbite wrote:

Thank you ladies. My body looks okay but my legs and calves look like tree trunks. I would have bought a new avi but I love my avi and couldnt imagine looking any different. 

What she is saying is that if you rely too much on one slider over another to reduce your height, you will squeeze yourself into a position where you cannot adjust individual proportions (like your legs) properly. The height slider itself does not simply scale you down, it's more a "squash and stretch" slider, only affecting some proportions and not others. You need to balance the various sliders that affect height in order to maintain attractive proportions at larger or smaller sizes.

That is why you are experiencing the "tree trunk" legs.

A big problem with the SL appearance editor is that to scale a shape down more than a few inches, you essentially need to recreate it from scratch and there is no easy way to do that. Instead, I would recommend finding a shape at the size you would like to be and then adjust that shape to resemble a smaller version of your larger shape.

The shapes set I shared in the other thread are full perm, so even if you don't care for the proportions they come in, you can adjust them how you like much more easily than you would be able to scale down your existing shape.

• 2 weeks later...

*wavs at Penny* 

I'm going to reiterate Penny's advice here.  SL's avatar shaping tools are notorious for being .. disproportionate.  So it's best to start with something good, then change it SLOWLY, making sure all the parts are properly adjusted.  I had the devil's own time altering my shape to reflect pregnancy progression! because it's not just about the belly size, there's all sorts of other stuff going on.

But given time and attention to detail, you can do it.

Also... you don't have to use the sliders.  if you know the numeric values you want, just type them into the boxes.

anytime it comes time to adjust my shape..i'll open up Penny and cats  blog articles to help with things..

they just help out a lot when you run into a rut..

i keep those two on my browser so i can  have the info on hand at a click..

i'll adjust something and throw something out of wack and get lost on where i was..then be all like..bleh 

i'm never gonna get this thing right hehehehe

it's always nice to have reference right there..

now i have to check out this market link i see in this thread..it looks pretty interesting..never can have too many tools to work with hehehehe:smileywink:

Penny's article

The Digital pasture..A Matter of Proportion

Pussycats article

Pussycat Catnap's thoughts..Getting good Body Proportions in Second Life

omg !! hehehe Penny..

i just went to your marketplace store..

mainly because i wanted to see  if there were other proportion things there or scaling info..

my first reaction was  omg how cute are these lil guys!!!

i was like..AWWWWWE!

PennyPatch kids are soo cute!! hehehe

just had to say it =)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4050 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.