Stupid rollbacks

CherrieHilton

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4167 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I was having a nice day Wednesday. Had just rented my first SL land, and set up a house, added some furnishing and a pretty expensive purchase from one of the local stores--3000 Linden expensive. I returned a few hours later to see that expensive item had disappeared. The majority of the stuff, house excluded, was cheap--free or maybe 100 L or less, sadly the only thing that disappeared was the 3000 L item. Long story short, I contacted my land renter and was told it was likely lost in the roll back that SL will be doing for the next year. I was advised to start a ticket, but SL basically said since I'm not a premium member they won't bother looking into it. I was given a link to their suggestions list--I guess the least possible effort on their part is what I should expect.

My bigger concern is SL is a really cool concept. I love the freedom it offers, but it is really poorly run. The official SL viewer is likely less stable that most of the third party ones. I view some of the videos by Torey Linden and he always used a different viewer, hardly an endorsement for the company he represents. A biggest problem is why don't you simply shut down the site for an hour or two if you know your doing rollbacks? It might save members the loss of expensive items. To me that is common sense, not sure why Linden Labs doesnt do it.

I don't visit the SL website daily, and dont read all their blogs and latest news. I would imagine if something really important is happening they would at least send an IM message to warn members. I'm nearly to the point of being jaded by this sort of stuff. SL has a fairly steep learning curve, a piss poor way of offering teaching to newer members, and a crappy viewer. If a member looses valuable inventory due to their stupid roll backs they basically blow us off, and they wonder why people are becoming disenchanted by their site.

If not for the create efforts of other members--and certainly not because of LL itself--I think this site would have been gone a long while ago.

Sorry for the rant, but really angry about now.

LL never does "rollbacks" unless a land owner (private region) has requested it and only if it is for a real darn good reason. On mainland rollbacks only occur when there is a huge problem with a server update. The reason rollbacks are last resort is because of the problems it can create. So I don't know what your landlord is telling you but it is not likely that a rollback occurred. More than likely your inventory was returned to you. If it was no copy then the possibility that it was lost forever is high. Check your lost and found for coalesced objects though.

Unless the landlord requested the rollback.

Also, while it's probably not a factor in this case, rolling restarts or especially unscheduled sim crashes can result in loss of recently rezzed content. It's not supposed to work that way for the rolling restarts, but evidently not everything always makes it to disk before the sim is halted. The main server channel did have rolling restarts this past Wednesday, so however unlikely, it could have been that, if the sim is on the main channel and the OP was extraordinarily unlucky.

It was a rolling restart, or so I was told. According to my landlord it is being done every Tuesday and Wednesday for the next year. It's just frustrating, due to the cost of the item. I check constantly in my lost and found, or if it was somehow miraculously returned. I've cleaned my cache hoping it returns, but so far nothing.

Oh well, nothing I can do at this stage. Just replace it. To add to the frustration, must have rezzed ten different items costing virtually nothing, and they all came out fine. The one item worth money is the one that disappeared.

If not for bad luck i'd have no luck at all.

I just had the same thing happen to me today.  I spent all day terraforming my land, decorating it just how I wanted it.  I logged off for a few hours and came back and it's all gone.  Everything done today was undone and everything rezzed today just poofed.  I did a complete reinstall of both viewers LL and firestorm and still nothing has shown back up and I lost a bed I paid over 2500L$ for that was trans only and several other items, all total about 5000L$ worth of no copy items.  Bet I don't buy no copy crap again huh.

I haven't had this happen to me since back when I first started SL on my original account.  I have sent my landlord an email requesting a rollback so hopefully I can get my items back but I am not sure if they will do it ro not, a lot of land owners won't, in which case I am just out the money and items I lost due to SL hiccuping I guess.  All I know is, it sucks.

My best advice to all of you that have lost things on a when LL is rolling OUT new software and the sim will be restarted is to not make any changes to your land or rez things out that are no copy that day until your sim has been restarted and you are sure there is not problem.  If the new server code turns out to have bugs and problems then LL will do a roll BACK to revert it to the former code. 

You can check this forum every week to see if server rollouts will be happening and what day they are doing them for the channel your sim is on.  You can determine what channel your sim is on by going to HELP at the top of your screen and choosing ABOUT <name of viewer>. When the server code rollouts are complete, they will post a notice on the SL Grid Status page.  This page also shows the scheduled server rollouts and scheduled maintenance.

I have sent my landlord an email requesting a rollback so hopefully I can get my items back but I am not sure if they will do it ro not, a lot of land owners won't, in which case I am just out the money and items I lost due to SL hiccuping I guess.

Happening on a Sunday, this would not have been due to a rolling restart. It's possible that the sim crashed or the Estate owner restarted the sim and something went wrong with persisting state before restart (in which case your stuff is lost). Or it's possible the Estate owner had the sim rolled-back to a saved state that was prior to all your rezzing the stuff (in which case there may be another saved state from later that has your stuff in it).

Bet I don't buy no copy crap again huh.

It may have been before your time, but there was an interval when rezzing anything was a crap-shoot. It was especially bad for attachments. This bug completely changed the market for Animations, such that no-copy animations, which used to be the norm (even for AO anims), became rare (especially for AO anims).

The more these troubles happen, the more people will eschew no-copy stuff, and eventually the less of it merchants will try to sell.

I'm sorry to hear you've lost an expensive item but let's look at some of your comments in your original post.

You say the official viewer is likely less stable than most third party viewers, which is untrue; it is the second most stable main viewer used by residents. However, in connection with your lost item, the viewer used is irrelevant.

It was your decision to only take up the free Basic membership which comes with limited support and not pay for Premium, which does include support for issues relating to both content in inventory and rezzed inworld. That's not to say LL could have recovered your lost item, it may or may not have. 

Torley LInden compiled those videos years ago while using the current viewer of the time. Far as I know, Linden Lab does not reference those videos anymore in the current Knowledge Base although Google wlll still find them all and Torley now has other duties in Linden Lab. To complain about those videos now is like coming across an old video on operating a first gen iPhone and moaning because it's not a video on the latest 5th gen iPhone. Torley's videos were very highly thought of when they were current and many still are useful.

There were always complaints when LL closed SL for maintenance for a few hours every week (especially from those in Europe like me as those hours tended to coincide with the time many Europeans wanted to be online). The current weekly rolling restarts are a far better option. It's rare for inventory loss to occur as a result of them.

Something you may like to try which nobody has mentioned yet is to IM the creator of your lost item (or better still, drop him a notecard), include payment details from your Transaction History, explain what happened and politely request a replacement. You could also reference this thread. The creator is under no obligation whatsoever to replace it (especially as it was Trans) but perhaps he will. You won't know until you try.

Ciaran Laval wrote:

Torley's videos are being blogged in the quick tips blog posts that LL have been putting on the blog for the last month or so.

Thanks for pointing those videos out Ciaran. I wasn't aware of them but they do seem to be v2/3 based with an interface recognisable and relevant to current residents. I suspect the OP was referring to the multitude of Torley's v1 based videos which would look like a different viewer to anyone reared on v2 or v3.

JJValero Writer wrote:

I disagree. SL regions made a rollback always they crash or they reboot. I am a owner of a sandbox and many avatars lost items or work here. Sometimes I had to do the same job twice.

Technically that is not a Rollback.

It is rebooting to the last saved state.  Anything rezzed between that 'save' and the crash will be lost.

I forget the exact frequency, but periodically a 'snapshot' of every SIM is saved in the event there is a crash.

Heres an old jira about the issue. Granted you can't comment anymore.

https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/SVC-7959

More and more people seem to use the term "rollback" to describe the server time loss that occurs. Traditionally, a rollback means returning to a prior server version after discovering critic bugs in the new version that was rolled out.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4167 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.