server baking - need new viewer

Shania Adder

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4071 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Oh, a post on the forums about an SL user trying to use SL on a computer grossly out of date and/or totally inadequate for 3D applications.

This is my shocked face.

Protip: SL isn't that intense. If your computer can't handle a modern viewer on semi decent settings, it's time to upgrade. My microwave is probably more advanced than that junk.

Shania Adder wrote:

what i really need is if someone know about which viewer will work when LL make it so server take care of avi baking

You might check Inara Pey's superb blog for updates. A recent post there discusses progress on Server-Side Baking in several third-party viewers. She mentions Cool VL (perhaps the least hardware-demanding, by reputation), Singularity, and Radegast as having experimental builds now, Exodus starting the merge, and a problem uncovered by Niran's viewer. She also speculates that an extension is likely to the original eight-week "grace period" once the avatar baking code is fully functional server-side across the grid.

So anyway, we're at least two months away from the point where viewer-side baking will break, and by then most any TPV worth using should have the goods.

Heh. I just picked up an update for Lumiya and it claims to already support Server-Side Baking. And Mesh (although rigged mesh may be a little funky, or at least it appears to move strangely for me). And it actually runs quite smoothly on my two year old Android phone. It's not exactly a substitute for a desktop SL viewer, but for what it is, it's amazing.

Gadget Portal wrote:

Oh, a post on the forums about an SL user trying to use SL on a computer grossly out of date and/or totally inadequate for 3D applications.

This is my shocked face.

Protip: SL isn't that intense. If your computer can't handle a modern viewer on semi decent settings, it's time to upgrade. My microwave is probably more advanced than that junk.

Yeah, that's really helpfu. The OP asks for advice on what viewer is optimal for their machine, and her you come with the usual "You should feel like **bleep** for running a machine that's not as good as mine" non-advice.Just don't post. I mean that. Okay, you have a brand new state of the art compter with specs that make you **bleep** nightly. Good for you. Let's all golf clap.

OP, you can take advice like this which will cost you half a grand, or you can read a post like this http://community.secondlife.com/t5/General-Discussion-Forum/sl-for-slower-computers/td-p/1839263

Such a post won't help forever, but it at least answers your question instead of belittling you by saying that a computer that you haven't even posted the specs of is junk by a person who worships themselves because they spent some money.

*edit: that bleep was a perfectly accepted word that means "pleasure oneself by touching his/her own genitalia."

Not sure I was so helpful after all: I now realize that the eight-week deadline that Inara mentioned might be extended was actually starting from December 15th when the Lab announced its plans for server-side baking. Now, things haven't gone quite according to plan, so Inara may be right that the February 15th drop-dead date may move -- but probably not by another whole eight-week interval.

So, yeah, it's good to be getting ready.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4071 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.